Thread: All is well at thecablevine

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default All is well at thecablevine

Okay... some of you may have noticed that the site was down (again) yesterday. The reason the site was down was due its being moved to a different host. I've been with the same host for about 6 years now but recently I have had some doubts about their ability to continue hosting my site successfully. A month or two ago we had some database problems that shut the site down for a couple of days. These things happen. But recently, it was pointed out to me, that some posts were appearing and disappearing. I saw this myself as well. I thought it might have been a hacker messing with the site. I changed Admin password but that didn't seem to help. THEN, I went to send a PM to someone and I noticed a couple weeks worth of PM's were missing... then they showed up again. I immediately suspected that my host was having problems with the database and the site was switching between the current database and a back-up database. I decided it was time to leave my long time host.

I moved to a host called UrlJet.com. They specialize in hosting Vbulletin forums. They handle all the upgrades so I don't have a chance to screw it up.

I think there may be a few posts that are missing. It all depends on what the state of the forum was in when they took a backup of the database and moved everything over. If your post is missing or you thought you saw a post but can't find it now... It may be gone forever. If that is the case, don't be afraid to repost it.

The site may fluctuate between the old site and the new site for a day or two as the DNS settings switch over. So you might see differences in posts during this time. I hope it doesn't last long.

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

Your Humble Admin
    Steve
    Last edited by TheCableVine; October 21st, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All is well at thecablevine

We all thank your for your continued efforts to keep this place up and running.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    30+

Steve,
    You have always done an outstanding job. My hat (if I wore one) is off to you. Thanks for all your efforts and all us Viners thank you!!!!

Years of Experience

I demand to know who's making these decisions.............................J/J hahahhahhhahahah .................just wanted to get my post numbers up!!!!! ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks UULC, Ifindit, I appreciate it.

Yahoo, your numbers are looking good. I think you get a $100 cash reward when you hit 3,000 posts. I'll check into it, it may be a rumor.

Okay. I found out what happened. Apparently someone on my staff tried to do an upgrade on the software a while back and screwed it up. They created extra tables in the database and this caused redundancy problems (I think that is what he said) which made the database unstable. So, the fine people (Greg) at UrlJet.com spent some of the afternoon fixing my staffs screw up. I will have to see who it was that did it and cause them much grief through termination.

I know I blamed it on my old host but there were other issues as well that were causing me concern. I had planned on leaving them a while back. I think I posted something about it a month ago. either way the problem is fixed and my confidence level is much higher.

I just ran into another problem... or more of the same I mean. I'll get back to you all later

Next on the agenda... making a logo to replace that vbulletin logo.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I suggest using one of Wing's photos as a logo- the one of Danica would be OK!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Steve, one of the other VBulletin based forums I regularly cheat on you with was having the same database errors you were having at the same time you were having them. It wasn't just you. Your suspicions about the old host may be right.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Okay. I found out what happened. Apparently someone on my staff tried to do an upgrade on the software a while back and screwed it up.
    It is just so hard to find good help nowadays.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post

Next on the agenda... making a logo to replace that vbulletin logo.
    nekkid women would work.

thanks for this place
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23