Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult Content vs. Google Advertising

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Adult Content vs. Google Advertising

As you all know, or may have surmised, I receive income from this website. Not much, but some. I get the income through Googles Adsense advertising. Well, you may have noticed that Thecablevine has been Ad free for the last week or two. Apparently the fine people over at Google Adsense took a tour of thecablevine and didn't feel that the site lived up to their policies. SO, they decided to pull the advertising from this site. Now, I'm losing money... not much, but some. Enough for me to sit up and take notice. Okay... I'll let you in on how much this site makes. The month of August it pulled in right around $150. (not 200 like I originally posted. It double counted some clicks)

The following is the policy they say I am in violation of:

Adult content

The AdSense network is considered family-safe, which means that publishers aren't permitted to place Google ads on sites which contain adult content. In addition to photos and videos which contain nudity or sexual activities, here are some other examples of unacceptable content:

Lewd or provocative images
    Crude or indecent language, including adult stories
    Sexual tips or advice
    Sexual fetish sites (e.g. foot fetish content)
    Adult toys or products
    Ads or links to external sites containing adult content

If your site has content which you wouldn't be comfortable viewing at work or with family members around, then it probably isn't an appropriate site to place Google ads upon.

The page they referenced as an example is this one: https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...&answer=105957

Now I'm torn on what to do. Should I clean up the site and disallow these photographs and bring my income back up, or do I say screw it and let everyone enjoy the site as it is?

Thoughts are welcome.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Default Re: Adult Content vs. Google Advertising

I dont think you should have to pay for the site/link etc out of your own pocket, CV.

Could the question be, do you try to keep google ads, or try to find another less-restrictive advertiser.

I certainly dont take offense to some of the pics posted, but if I was running it, I would prolly clean it up to keep the revenue. The boys can see the pics elsewhere.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    I dont think you should have to pay for the site/link etc out of your own pocket, CV.

Could the question be, do you try to keep google ads, or try to find another less-restrictive advertiser.

I certainly dont take offense to some of the pics posted, but if I was running it, I would prolly clean it up to keep the revenue. The boys can see the pics elsewhere.
    What he said. ^^^

Do what you need to do Steve. It's your site.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Is there an alternative service? If not, you don't need to lose $, unless you are independently wealthy. I do wonder how they determined this ?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

There are alternatives that I will look into. Yahoo, Chitika, and Azoogle right off the top of my head. I don't know of any others.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Do what is best for you Steve. The forum will be just fine, but damn, some of Wings photos have been outstanding....be sad to see some of them go.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    30+

I agree Steve. You have to so what you have too. But if all the members would be a premium membership and pay and then limit the guest to only certain areas, that would be an alternative.

It was easy to pay with PayPal and not expensive.

Years of Experience

Do what you need to do Steve. You aren't here to lose your shirt, and you are doing us all a great service by hosting. I appreciate all you do as do us all I'd venture.

Years of Experience
    17 years

The only thing in that list that would apply to this site is the "lewd or provocative images". Turns out you can get provocative images everywhere on the internet. What you can't seem to get anywhere else is locate industry technical info, tips , gossip, etc.... That's what I come here for.

It really is your call but I don't think many readers would bail if the racy pics disappeared.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm not worried about people bailing out on me. I know the main focus of the site is locator discussion and information. The pics are served on "the side" so to speak. I know getting rid of them will have no effect on the traffic. I'm trying to figure out if limiting the photos would diminish the site. After thinking about it, I realized that I didn't go to another website simply because there were too many of those types of pics. Another locator had a forum up and running mainly for him and his buddies. They were posting all sorts of crap on there. I stopped going because of that. And now, as I'm typing this, I also realize that the female members don't seem to last too long around here. It may be, because of the pics. I haven't heard anything from them, I'm just guessing.

So, I think I'll spend the next week or so going through the pics and getting rid of anything I wouldn't want my mother to see. I 'd guess that's a safe bet. No guarantee that Google will reinstate the site, but hey, no big deal.

In the future we need to keep the pics PG.

Thanks
    Steve

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Will do boss. And I'm assuming the same rules for the language?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I would clean it up...especially when some of those pics are of people way too young to be posted anyways, I would be offended if I saw my husband on here gauking at those girls.

I feel sorry for your husband. You'd be offended if he is gauking at these pics?!!??? I'd hate to see what you'd do if you caught him looking at his favorite sites, lol.

Years of Experience

I'd clean up the site otherwise you won't be able to retire so early.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Retire??? Oh, Crap. I forgot about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast