Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Official NULCA Response to PHMSA NPRM

Years of Experience

Default Re: Official NULCA Response to PHMSA NPRM

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I think thats what i'm getting at. We really need to get away from the advesarial relationship we have with contractors. They don't want to get fined for hitting utilities and we don't want to get fined for missing utilities. In theory we are on the same side. However, I know of more contractors who will over call tickets to piss on the public locators. Little do they know this is the reason they get mystery marks.

I'm saying we should have a system inplace where we are expected to communicate appropriately. White paint is fantastic, but understanding what the goal of the ticket is, is better.

I'm not saying to be friends or best buds with the excavators, but we should be able to have a proffessional understanding without the fear of having fines levied against us.

mke
    This will probably never happen. There are just way too many contractors out there that you just cannot get along with. Some have stabbed you in the back repeatedly and other's are just plain pricks. Have the contractor to sign a meet sheet is really the only alternative. Most will not sign anything though.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I understand what your saying, I really do. I believe they treat you that way because of the situation you are in.

As a contract locator, you are treated as hired help by the utility company that hired you and the contractors that need your locates. Both of which put you in this category of "contract help" which they have no respect for, partly due to industry standards or lack their of. These excavators who piss on contract locates on a daily basis is only doing what is acceptable by industry standards. If the utilities backed the locators like they were in house locators and put pressure on the excavators to be respectable, you would have a different outcome.

The reason I know this is because i'm in a situation where I work with excavators daily. They appriciate the effort I put in to the job, and in return they let me know what they need. You still have the occasional company that is new or a job sup that is new and tries to do things "his" way. It doesn't take much effort to get him on board.

For Example, We have a new company doing some work for us out at one of our facilities. Before the job started I went to a meeting and met all the players. They called one one-call ticket in for about 7000' by 500'. I let them know that they need to split this work scope up in order to manage the locate marks. I won't go into the boring details, but I laid it all out for him. They didn't. We still came frequently in order to paint the utilities at an appropriate time. They however hit a PGE primary feeding a transformer and they did the standard, "It wasn't my fault, it wasn't marked properly". Being with the company that owns the land, and is paying for the project I was able to call him out on this in a meeting. At the end of the meeting, he recalled our original conversation on how to manage the locate marks and since then he has advised us every time he has put a shovel in the ground. He lets us know exactly what is going on, and we mark only what is needed.

The luxuries I have that you don't can be afforded to you if the Utilities and your company on board. This comes back to appropriatly bid contracts. They however won't be appropriately bid till the industry wide in-fighting between locate companies stops. Its hard to raise a bid price when a second company will swoop in and undercut you.

mke
    Twitchin Witcher likes this.

Years of Experience

Yah i have to many contractors that just dont give a mofo about underground utilities and just go to work regardless of what is there. also a lot of out of state contractors that come in and call in the world (only slight exaggeration) as a locate to throw a one mile poleline in the ground and then take off to leave me on the hook to mark it all just incase
    Last edited by KaineF; October 9th, 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: misspell

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KaineF View Post
    Yah i have to many contractors that just dont give a mofo about underground utilities and just go to work regardless of what is there. also a lot of out of state contractors that come in and call in the world (only slight exaggeration) as a locate to throw a one mile poleline in the ground and then take off to leave me on the hook to mark it all just incase
    Yeah, I like when you arrive on a 2500 ft job extension and the crew has about 50 ft left to do, but yet they need all of it remarked again. Man, I love when that happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12