• Yes, NULCA should create Regional Chapters

2 6.90%
  • Yes, NULCA should create State AND Regional Chapters

9 31.03%
  • No, I don't like the idea

2 6.90%
  • Who Cares?

5 17.24%
  • Who the Hell is NULCA? Never heard of them.

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NULCA State Chapters?

Years of Experience

Default Re: NULCA State Chapters?

NULCA is only 15 years young guys, having been formed in 1994.

Golf outings, free shirts, can you give me more specifics? I am on the Board and don't have a shirt or haven't played any golf. We pay for our own travel and hotel/food to attend all functions and meetings too, and don't get a dime for volunteering to serve.

Have you attended a meeting lately? I have been to every one, or at least conferenced in, and we have been very active in moving things forward - no more logjams when it comes to addressing and resolving issues in the industry.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience
    na

[QUOTE=GWJ_CAS;19990]
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post

Really? I don't think you read through the list of board members correctly. John Cook (One Vision) - former locator turned owner, myself...Greg Jeffries, started as a survey rodman, then utility inspector/locator, now owner...Ron Peterson, the Executive Director, former locator...those are the guys whose personal backgrounds I can vouch for, the other board members may have similar experience.

All of these folks are looking at the BIG Picture of the locating industry and the issues that affect us all, legal, financial, etc...that is the reason why the state chapters have been suggested, so that day-to-day locators can get involved and shape policies or practices and affect issues from the "grass-roots" levels.

And...as for the bean counter comment...if it wasn't for us "bean counters", you locators would not have a job....like it or not, we need each other...

Maybe we WOULD have those locating jobs IN HOUSE with better benis and better bean counters...

6mos. 2 yrs or even 5 yrs wonders that BS their way up the ranks to outflank the pressures of long term locating do not make for representing a locators thoughts and views...

Many a procedure and production requirement has increased since the easy days of most past supervisor/locators and manager/locators, and what they were accustomed too... Some in charge now may still proclaim field savy through the classic "5 minute wonder " act or a "been there done that" proclamation, but it is truly a "smoke n mirrors" ploy... It DOES NOT speak to the true test and meddle of the foot soldier/locators daily rituals and views... You know, the one whos toil and struggle through a vast array of environmental conditions day in and nights out which merits the true test of leadership and management...

This hard earned valuable and overlooked opinion will rarely reach the round table of the czars and furors of the industry for consideration...

Our time is often not a luxury... We are the bread winners of the industry... Our actions in the field justify our importance of making a difference...

Last edited by USIC1; August 8th, 2009 at 11:06 PM.

Years of Experience

i am ready to help out !!!! i like the idea of setting up state chapters ...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

[QUOTE=USIC1;20014]
    Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post

Maybe we WOULD have those locating jobs IN HOUSE with better benis and better bean counters...

6mos. 2 yrs or even 5 yrs wonders that BS their way up the ranks to outflank the pressures of long term locating do not make for representing a locators thoughts and views...

Many a procedure and production requirement has increased since the easy days of most past supervisor/locators and manager/locators, and what they were accustomed too... Some in charge now may still proclaim field savy through the classic "5 minute wonder " act or a "been there done that" proclamation, but it is truly a "smoke n mirrors" ploy... It DOES NOT speak to the true test and meddle of the foot soldier/locators daily rituals and views... You know, the one whos toil and struggle through a vast array of environmental conditions day in and nights out which merits the true test of leadership and management...

This hard earned valuable and overlooked opinion will rarely reach the round table of the czars and furors of the industry for consideration...

Our time is often not a luxury... We are the bread winners of the industry... Our actions in the field justify our importance of making a difference...

For some reason your message always seems to get lost in trying to translate your "eloquence" into plain old English. However, I think you are trying to say that no matter how much experience a person has, once they start climbing the corporate ladder all that experience just goes out the window. You seem to think that locating has evolved to the point that us old timers have somehow lost our touch and have nothing to offer but " corporate advice" from the office and nothing from the field. You continue to associate your name with locating when in other posts you have decried the whole locating process as vile and somehow beneath you and your talents. You mention "smoke and mirrors" - looks like you have mastered that process as you deflect extremely well.

Hmmmmmm........

Not going to comment on your ridiculous posting, but I believe you are definitely a good candidate for a professional study in personal conflict resolution and could quite possibly have multiple personality disorder and not even know it. Check with your company and make sure their insurance covers psych visits first as I think you might have to attend quite a few sessions to make any real progress. Don't forget to ask the Doc for major meds to help "clear your mind" too. We are all concerned about your mental health and want you to seek help so you can get better. The burden of being a walking minus sign must be tremendous.....

Now please stick to the topic or go to another forum please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Yes, the people that do the work, not sit an office, need a voice to be heard. Sadly, locators never hear about the great work they accomplish. They certainly hear all about it when the signal jumps to another active utility or abandoned line, and is a line break.The person with the paint on his boots needs a voice. He needs to be recognized when they perform day in , day out with 0 (zero) damages and sets the bar high for his peers.
    This comment made me scream "Hell Yeah!" with joy. No body cares (at least the locators)about a group of senior executives (business owners) meeting up in Marco Island to talk about business, contracts and pushing products and services unto each other.. Do you think a locate company CEO really cares about our safety issues, recognition or compensations? The organization does NOT inspire me the locator to attend. There is absoluteley nothing there being disscussed to benefit my bottom line or pockets for that matter. We are just their employee or cash cow. We need a different type of organization (if you are just a locator) seperate from them (Locate companies) and exclusiveley for the locate employee. We need to make ourselves more valuable as an individual in the market place. Right now you guys are a dime a dozen. They hire and fire us as a routine. Nobody hear gets more than $16 bucks an hour LOCATING AND PROTECTING EXPENSIVE UTILITIES. Your bosses gather together to find more business and contracts to align their pockets. Not yours. You will hear them talk like they care about your safety and well being, but dont be fooled. They have to comply with employee saftey and so they preach "safety first" because it's required by law. That's why they make you sign a paper after every safety meeting so if you smash your face against the dash, you can't sue them for not providing you a saftey training and blah blah blah. I am sure they would call you at the hospital while you're in criticle condition and have a confrence call asking you if there was any way you could have avoided that accident where the guy hit you. Then they will suspend you afterwards and deny you benefits. I'm telling you people.... The issue is sooooo useless untill you stop listening to business owners and start forming your own group. If you are a locate company, you can't be in our group.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by fiber optic View Post
    This comment made me scream "Hell Yeah!" with joy. No body cares (at least the locators)about a group of senior executives (business owners) meeting up in Marco Island to talk about business, contracts and pushing products and services unto each other.. Do you think a locate company CEO really cares about our safety issues, recognition or compensations? The organization does NOT inspire me the locator to attend. There is absoluteley nothing there being disscussed to benefit my bottom line or pockets for that matter. We are just their employee or cash cow. We need a different type of organization (if you are just a locator) seperate from them (Locate companies) and exclusiveley for the locate employee. We need to make ourselves more valuable as an individual in the market place. Right now you guys are a dime a dozen. They hire and fire us as a routine. Nobody hear gets more than $16 bucks an hour LOCATING AND PROTECTING EXPENSIVE UTILITIES. Your bosses gather together to find more business and contracts to align their pockets. Not yours. You will hear them talk like they care about your safety and well being, but dont be fooled. They have to comply with employee saftey and so they preach "safety first" because it's required by law. That's why they make you sign a paper after every safety meeting so if you smash your face against the dash, you can't sue them for not providing you a saftey training and blah blah blah. I am sure they would call you at the hospital while you're in criticle condition and have a confrence call asking you if there was any way you could have avoided that accident where the guy hit you. Then they will suspend you afterwards and deny you benefits. I'm telling you people.... The issue is sooooo useless untill you stop listening to business owners and start forming your own group. If you are a locate company, you can't be in our group.
    Why do you think people choose teaching as a profession? Or for that fact, being a cop, firefighter, counselor, work for the state or county? Do you think it's for the money? Much of what I see here is a lot of complaining about "low pay" - do you think you are the only one to possibly not be paid what you think you may be worth? Some people understand what locating is all about - that it is a way of life and not just a job. You don't have to have a degree or really any formal education at all, don't have to hold any certifications (unless you are locating gas - still no cost to you), don't have to attend any seminars or be active in ongoing costly education. You have the freedom of working outside, with little oversight from management, in a decent vehicle with decent equipment (depending on your company). Your health benefits and retirement are partially subsidized by your employer, and your check comes like clockwork. Most things are done virtually now, so many technicians don't even have to come to the office except for the weekly safety and tailgate meetings. What locator will step up and pay for his/her damage? None I would guess - you expect the company to pay for the resulting cost of the repair and the fine even though you did the work. I suppose you also expect to be paid not only for the good work that you do but for the bad work you do as well! If you want to make better money you simply need to improve your self-worth through additional training and/or education. Go back to school and get a degree, become a lawyer, doctor, dentist, nurse, accountant, or open your own business (which is what I did). Go to technical school and learn to operate heavy equipment, become a mechanic, a hairdresser, etc. Money not good where you live - move to another area and make better money! Most people say they don't make enough money, but what they really mean to say is they don't make enough money to support their lifestyle. I know people that make $70K a year or more and they say the same thing while riding around in a $45,000 truck that costs them $900 a month! Doesn't take much to move up these days in the locating world, so don't sit there and bemoan the situation - If I can do this I guarantee you anybody can do it (after all I'm just another "clown" - just ask your fellow locators here on the Vine). My motto is simple regardless of the situation - Either live with it, make it better, or do something else!
    Last edited by OVUS1; August 13th, 2009 at 04:59 PM.

I chose something else a long time ago. I loved locating and finding stupid wires and pipes . I got really excited going on these missions with the transmitter and reciever. When they hired me in 1998 I was excited with my little $10 bucks an hour and truck and all. I didn't care. I was washing my truck everyday, showing off my laptop to family and friends, telling everybody about my fun job and showing off my nextell direct connect that I could only use during working hours. Then the guy in the office kept calling me every five minutes wanting to do a ride along and asking for a minimum of 30 tickets a day and that's when things started getting sour. In the begining, it was nice long training meetings in air conditioning, free donuts and coffee, free pizza, pats on the back for locating 8 tickets a day the proper way. Then they turned the heat up after two weeks and we were banging out tickets just to keep those bastards off our backs. No overtime allowed. Had to route myself everynight for an hour or two on my freaking dime for free!!!! Call the contractors on my dime!!! It was a nightmare fellow locators. Stop lying to the people ....this job should pay WAY more. I was dying of hunger and bareley able to pay my electric bills and mortgage. I can't work for peanuts and with alot of stress. Maybe some of you can. But I can't. My lifestyle requires a minimum of $4000 a month. Some of you have a nice trailer or live in a car and all that little $500 check goes for Boos and cigarrettes. But not me. I have a house to maintain and pay. Anyway, I don't want to burn calories trying to convince a dead horse. It is what it is. I accepted a long time ago that some people cannot be convinced or will never see your point of veiw.

oh by the way, I see the books everyday. One locating company for example made $275,000 in one quarter. These people bill per ticket and/or footage. They make you crank out 30 so they can bill their client and squeeze the most amount of profit from you. I don't have a problem with that, that's what business if for to make a profit. What bothers me is how most of you locators hang your whole futures and life on a company. That is sad. You settle down and get comfortable and never look forward again untill the rug is pulled out from under you. Sad oh so sad. In one quarter a locating company with one client (verizon) made more than a quarter million in just my area. They buy the cheapest cars (Aveo) with window handles and a cheap radio with no Mp3 jack. They give out slow and old laptops and bulky old phones and old equipment . Then they pay you per ticket and charge you to use the trash they give you. They call you a contractor but they treat you like an employee. This is illeagal in my opinion. Exploited Locators. Why can't they use their own vehicle? I don't know. Why can't they get paid as a 1099? I don't know.... Gosh I can go on all day but I have to go now.

Years of Experience

I smell John....

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by fiber optic View Post
    oh by the way, I see the books everyday. One locating company for example made $275,000 in one quarter. These people bill per ticket and/or footage. They make you crank out 30 so they can bill their client and squeeze the most amount of profit from you. I don't have a problem with that, that's what business if for to make a profit. What bothers me is how most of you locators hang your whole futures and life on a company. That is sad. You settle down and get comfortable and never look forward again untill the rug is pulled out from under you. Sad oh so sad. In one quarter a locating company with one client (verizon) made more than a quarter million in just my area. They buy the cheapest cars (Aveo) with window handles and a cheap radio with no Mp3 jack. They give out slow and old laptops and bulky old phones and old equipment . Then they pay you per ticket and charge you to use the trash they give you. They call you a contractor but they treat you like an employee. This is illeagal in my opinion. Exploited Locators. Why can't they use their own vehicle? I don't know. Why can't they get paid as a 1099? I don't know.... Gosh I can go on all day but I have to go now.
    Dude, I don't know who you are, but you seem to be posting under a couple of different profiles.

Every one has the same crap being spewed, has the same bad grammar, has the obvious use of the wrong word/spelling, and underlying contempt for the industry.

If locating sucks so bad, you are talking to the wrong crowd. We are here, by and large, because we like our jobs. There may be problems, but pick a job and you'll find something to gripe about.

Pick a profile, talk straight, and if you hate locating then get the hell off the locating forum!

I hate posers.

Years of Experience

I will second that!!!! posers suck!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Banned

Please tell me why a locator would want to be a member of NULCA? My understanding of this group is to helps the owner and stack holder of Contract Locating Company work together to increase the profit and or buttom line by controling the industry as a whole. that includes you as a Locator.

That question has the most simple answer EVER.

If you REALLY want to change something you don't like, YOU MUST BE A PART OF IT!

Years of Experience

Years of Experience

and now ......where do we go from here????? continue on as is....or learn more about what we don't know????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast