• Yes, NULCA should create Regional Chapters

2 6.90%
  • Yes, NULCA should create State AND Regional Chapters

9 31.03%
  • No, I don't like the idea

2 6.90%
  • Who Cares?

5 17.24%
  • Who the Hell is NULCA? Never heard of them.

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NULCA State Chapters?

Years of Experience

Default NULCA State Chapters?

Poll Question:

Would you be in favor of having NULCA create State or Regional Chapters similar to the APWA model of State Chapters?

Logic:

Right now the NULCA Board is made up of senior executives in large locate companies and equipment manufacturers. That is fine and probably as it should be for the issues and endeavors the board is trying to tackle.

State or regional chapters would give non-executives a voice in NULCA operations from the field / implementation points of view. It would facilitate regular chapter meetings within a close enough proximity to their work areas that many locators could have a chance to attend. This would also give the NULCA board more insight into local / regional issues as we all know they are not the same from state to state.

Please vote and let me know how you feel.

Default Re: NULCA State Chapters?

I strongly agree with this type of approach. Any and all unity the UCLCA can bring to our industry will make us all stronger.

ALL FOR IT!!!!! Where do I sign up???

Years of Experience
    na

Politicing and expanding on so many issues could create controversies and rifts with big players and states etc etc...

It may be best left to the existing " keep it simple stupid " scale...

Lest ye squeeze a trigger of a shotgun blast of concerns and create a backlash by the utility concerns defending and posturing against addressing issues...

After quite a few years locating, I get the impression many of these utility reps like to instill they reside in the big house with the man above in a subtle way (dont question us we question you)...

Just a thought...

I dont really care who picks up the ball and runs with it otherwise...

I d rather watch the cheerleaders or something enjoyable...

Last edited by USIC1; July 31st, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Years of Experience

I am sure UDIChead posted some BS drivel. Why is this tool still trolling around this board?

There is one vote for who cares...I'm guessing it was cast by the USIC1 Dickhead. I made that option specifically for guys like him.
    Last edited by GWJ_CAS; July 31st, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Years of Experience
    na

HAAAA!!!

Why get so upset???

Does it bother you there are still the other 90% of locators that will never troll such frivolous garbolage you find so crucial???

At least I showed up to speak for them...

Would nt all the no shows fit the who cares category???

Sorry if it hurt your feelings...

D.A.!!!

Yes, the people that do the work, not sit an office, need a voice to be heard. Sadly, locators never hear about the great work they accomplish. They certainly hear all about it when the signal jumps to another active utility or abandoned line, and is a line break.The person with the paint on his boots needs a voice. He needs to be recognized when they perform day in , day out with 0 (zero) damages and sets the bar high for his peers.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    I am sure UDIChead posted some BS drivel. Why is this tool still trolling around this board?

There is one vote for who cares...I'm guessing it was cast by the USIC1 Dickhead. I made that option specifically for guys like him.
    People like USIC1 fear the idea of orginization of the locate industry GWJ. It threatens their future you see. Orginization will lead to communication, communication will lead to issues being addressed within the industry as a whole, leading eventually to a standardised license program. I believe it's inevitable.

The day we can finally establish a standardized REQUIRED licensing program in the field, is the day guys like him will be unemployed.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Will NULCA really represent the little guy?

Nice thought, and lord knows locators in general could use someone who really is on thier side.

If someone can make it happen, awesome, but I'm doubtful that company officers and owners(no offence to Ovus) have the little guy in mind.

If there's change coming both in and through NULCA, you've got your work cut out for you, good luck.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    People like USIC1 fear the idea of orginization of the locate industry GWJ. It threatens their future you see. Orginization will lead to communication, communication will lead to issues being addressed within the industry as a whole, leading eventually to a standardised license program. I believe it's inevitable.

The day we can finally establish a standardized REQUIRED licensing program in the field, is the day guys like him will be unemployed.

Can I link politics out of its designated category like this poll ???

Maybe we need licensing for standardizing the forum ???

You know "baby steps" like Dreyfus did for Murray in "What about Bob", try something easy first , and go from there...

What say we scrap this whole idea and start over ???

Not beating up USIC1 for contributing an opinion that was nt all that out of line...

So you dont bring out the Bob side-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfrueeBmfXo

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Can I link politics out of its designated category like this poll ???

Maybe we need licensing for standardizing the forum ???

You know "baby steps" like Dreyfus did for Murray in "What about Bob", try something easy first , and go from there...

What say we scrap this whole idea and start over ???

Not beating up USIC1 for contributing an opinion that was nt all that out of line...

So you dont bring out the Bob side-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfrueeBmfXo

How about electrocution therapy.....Oops, I meant SHOCK therapy.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

[quote=GWJ_CAS;19856]Poll Question:

Right now the NULCA Board is made up of senior executives in large locate companies and equipment manufacturers.

Who is representing the locator? I see bean counters and I see sales men, I do not see any former or current locators ......... just a thought
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience

[quote=NINJA;19985]
    Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Poll Question:

Right now the NULCA Board is made up of senior executives in large locate companies and equipment manufacturers.

Who is representing the locator? I see bean counters and I see sales men, I do not see any former or current locators ......... just a thought
    Really? I don't think you read through the list of board members correctly. John Cook (One Vision) - former locator turned owner, myself...Greg Jeffries, started as a survey rodman, then utility inspector/locator, now owner...Ron Peterson, the Executive Director, former locator...those are the guys whose personal backgrounds I can vouch for, the other board members may have similar experience.

All of these folks are looking at the BIG Picture of the locating industry and the issues that affect us all, legal, financial, etc...that is the reason why the state chapters have been suggested, so that day-to-day locators can get involved and shape policies or practices and affect issues from the "grass-roots" levels.

And...as for the bean counter comment...if it wasn't for us "bean counters", you locators would not have a job....like it or not, we need each other...

Years of Experience

[QUOTE=GWJ_CAS;19990]
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post

Really? I don't think you read through the list of board members correctly. John Cook (One Vision) - former locator turned owner, myself...Greg Jeffries, started as a survey rodman, then utility inspector/locator, now owner...Ron Peterson, the Executive Director, former locator...those are the guys whose personal backgrounds I can vouch for, the other board members may have similar experience.

All of these folks are looking at the BIG Picture of the locating industry and the issues that affect us all, legal, financial, etc...that is the reason why the state chapters have been suggested, so that day-to-day locators can get involved and shape policies or practices and affect issues from the "grass-roots" levels.

And...as for the bean counter comment...if it wasn't for us "bean counters", you locators would not have a job....like it or not, we need each other...
    In my opinion, without somone on the board who is more than a token seat, or an owner/exec, it will be hard to get support from everyone who's been waiting since is it the '80's?(can't remember) for NULCA to do something/anything for the locators.

You've got a lot of work to do, and I hope you can do something, but until some results are shown I'll keep my money.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I guess my question would be... How different would NULCA be then the orginization thats here now? As Headcipher said... "been waiting since the '80's(can't remember) for NULCA to do something/anything for the locators."

I have had the chance to attend meetings and talk to some of the board members.... and I don't feel they have change in their mind.

Sure they will Tweak a state law here and there, but by the time they do that the fundings gone because of the all the Golf turnaments and Dinners, and free shirts they give out to people other then locators.

Change will only come when the locating companies find a common ground, and then work on the utilities they represent.

( the common ground i'm refering to is not treating employees like crap. I think it should be something else)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast