Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nulca

Default Nulca

I just received an e-mail that the NULCA site is up. Not much in it but it does have the Board of Directors listed. Where might it head too?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Nulca

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    I just received an e-mail that the NULCA site is up. Not much in it but it does have the Board of Directors listed. Where might it head too?
    Hopefully, good places...NULCA is re-focusing on the locators and issues that are important to the locators and the locating industry...stay tuned.

NULCA will have alarge presence at this year's International Locate Rodeo. Come enjoy the event!

There were a few posts on the Vine a while back about NULCA reforming. OVUS1 is on the new board and he frequents here. Perhaps he could give you the inside scoop on the goings on.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Which director is he?

Years of Experience

I was appointed as Secretary of the organization. We are currently working on determining true membership count and status, but have also started working on some new Standards language, looking at ideas of regional NULCA chapters to better serve and respond to the membership, and will shortly have much more information posted on the website that both members and non-members can access to get the scoop on where NULCA is and where we are heading. Your input is CRITICAL, so let us know what issues you see and what you believe might work to resolve those issues as well. We are not an organization that respond to company issues, but we will look at any industry-related issue and see what can be done to improve the industry as a whole.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

what's this stuff all about???? not like a union i hope????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

If NULCA wants to do something I have an idea. How about forming a performance standards along with contract standards for: region (city, rural), performance (damage ratio?), completion rates.

The cut throat approach would be drastically reduced, if all NULCA members were bound to price within the agreed standards and meet the performance levels, for any new contract bids.

Also no-members should be permitted to take over a contract of another member company during the life of the agreement, due to utility/NULCA member disagreement. As long as, NULCA performance standards are met. Lets give the NULCA board the oversight responsibility to determine if these standards are met.

NULCA cannot have any other focus if they want to really do something for the industry. Until then NULCA will be a networking meeting for management.

This is a pipe dream, due to greed within locate companies and their upper management types. They care more about revenue increasing, through contract expansion and pressure local management/locate staff to shine a turd they created. Typically involves high production expectations; with minimal staff as possible and numerous conversations about how much quality needs to be improved.

All the while utilities play locate companies upper management for lower contract prices. Upper management at locate companies show their P & L to the parent company and declare another new contract, which means expansion. Now the upper management has the revenue stream stablized to confirm the necessity of their jobs. Their salaries are covered, since oversight will be required of these contracts. The responsibility rolls downhill from there to local management/staff to perform with a the lowball bid contract. if the operation fails to perform the VP will be looking to terminate local management and local management will look to fire staff before his/her head is chopped.

Now lets celebrate another $10.00 ticket contract, afterall its good for the locators!
    Last edited by AntiQuest; June 24th, 2009 at 02:10 AM.

AQ, I agree 100%. Nulca needs to step up and stop the low balling. Who can do a ticket for 6-7$. IT CAN NOT BE DONE. With them types of tickets you are asking us to do short cuts and get damages the you go before a review board and get suspended or fired.

NULCA has lobbyist at the state level and the Federal level. I have sent my $100.00 to be a member again. I want a return this time. Stop these 1 mile tickets. Stop the over mark areas. Require the white lining. All of these ideas and other I have will stop the locators from having damages.

I know two folks on the board-Jim Wallas-USIC and John Cook-One Vision. I know John-OVUS1 is on this site all the time. I do not know about Jim Wallas. Let them Know what you would want out of NULCA.

NULCA is NOT a union, It is a voice for the locators. Get involved as much as you can!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    AQ, I agree 100%. Nulca needs to step up and stop the low balling. Who can do a ticket for 6-7$. IT CAN NOT BE DONE. With them types of tickets you are asking us to do short cuts and get damages the you go before a review board and get suspended or fired.

NULCA has lobbyist at the state level and the Federal level. I have sent my $100.00 to be a member again. I want a return this time. Stop these 1 mile tickets. Stop the over mark areas. Require the white lining. All of these ideas and other I have will stop the locators from having damages.

I know two folks on the board-Jim Wallas-USIC and John Cook-One Vision. I know John-OVUS1 is on this site all the time. I do not know about Jim Wallas. Let them Know what you would want out of NULCA.

NULCA is NOT a union, It is a voice for the locators. Get involved as much as you can!!!!!!
    Dawg...I am also on the NULCA Board and I not only read all the stuff on here, but I, like OVUS1, live it every day. I am so tired of seeing locate prices continue to fall while costs continue to rise, this leads to nothing good.

I have personally witnessed contract low-balling that boggles the mind. I have seen one company bid less than $6 a ticket to locate power here in Florida, 1-mile tickets for under $6. Yet this company has supervisors and managers making big $$$ driving full-size trucks/SUVs while their locators drive little rangers and have Cameras pointed at them in their trucks and slam their locators with 80 to 100 tickets a day to justify the ultra low-ball ticket price.

I have said this before on this very site; if bids and locate prices keep going the way they are going, it won't be long before we are paying the utility owners for the priviledge of locating their facilities.

Greg,

You are 100% right.

Years of Experience

How long has NULCA been around?

What have they accomplished for locators?

Why do they want my money?

If they truly are there to help locators, why isn't there a locate tech on the board?

Past performance looks to be about as effective as most unions to me. Not at all.

Please, everyone who knows better than me, answer the questions. Show me why my grocery money should go to this organization.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    How long has NULCA been around?

What have they accomplished for locators?

Why do they want my money?

If they truly are there to help locators, why isn't there a locate tech on the board?

Past performance looks to be about as effective as most unions to me. Not at all.

Please, everyone who knows better than me, answer the questions. Show me why my grocery money should go to this organization.
    You have very valid questions. I will offer some info that may answer at least some of your questions.

NULCA has been around since 1984. NULCA created the Locator Competency Standards that are referenced in many locating contracts as the minimum criteria, as well as being referenced by the Common Ground Alliance (CGA) as the "Gold Standard" for minimum practices.

NULCA wants your money to fund the operation of the organization. Those funds include sponsorship of locator events like the 2009 International Utility Locate Rodeo in Atlanta, operating the website, and securing the services of the Executive Director among many others. Board Members are not paid, strictly volunteer.

As for whether or not there is a locate tech on the board is debatable. Certainly a couple fo the board members have been locators in the past and have graduated to a management position. Specifically on that note, one of the issues NULCA is considering is State or Regional Chapters wherein the locate technicians can become seriously involved. The thought process being that the regional chapters would tackle and address issues specific to the region, would have more opportunity to meet more frequently without having to travel cross-country and would have mostly techs involved. These chapters would then promote their issues to the national board for consideration / action / national discussion or perhaps even a lobbying effort.

The NULCA board really wants to perform well and promote issues that affect the industry and the locators. This effort requires involvement from the locators.

Join up, get involved, make your voice heard.

Here's the thing about 'low-balling' on contracts. As long as Contract Locate Companies are around there WILL be 'low-ball' bids PERIOD.

The Utility doesn't really care about facility protection. If they did they wouldn't hire a company willing to do the work for under $6 a ticket. The whole point of the contract is to shift the LIABILITY and FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to someone else if a damage occurs due to locate error or the contractor just ignoring everything and plowing away anyway.

If a damage happens who is responsible? Not the Utility.
    If it goes to court who pays? Not the Utility.
    If blame is accessed who pays for the repair? Not the Utility.

Of course there is more to it than that but I'm busy.

There is plenty of finger pointing to go around.

Yes, utility companies should question the ability of a locator that claims to be able have no damages and all on time locates for $6. But what self respecting locate company will offer this impossible feat?

Some locate companies write these impossible contacts just to get thier foot in the door. Then put it on the field employees to make it work. Locators end up overworked and burn out.

Both sides of the equation feed into the other. Until one side, or both sides break the cycle, things won't change.
    Last edited by GPGrasshopper; June 26th, 2009 at 01:33 AM.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

GPG,

I hope you ment the companys. The locators do the work. management and business development do the contracts. It is impossible to do 5 tickets for a mile each and have them done in two days and make money, UNLESS you can add units.

Locators have no say in anything with a company. I say this as a former supervisor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast