Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: While I'm at it ....

TMO
    Years of Experience

Default Re: While I'm at it ....

Had a trouble emergency today, i arrived after my tech ntfd me that all the access points within 700-1000 ft each direction wouldnt run the 2inch poly ip gas main. I hooked up with my 8000 in multiple services, no test stations in the area, got nothing to go to the main. I direct connected with my pipehorn and got enough to dot it out. induce from both ends, thought i had it , but it ran right on top of the dig area in the front easement.
    Wound up probing and letting the contractor dig slow. you know , i jump in , hand dig down 1 foot deep by 2.5 feet wide, the mini excavator mathces my depth, jump back in the hole, rinse and repeat.
    I got down to the main, set an EMS mkr on it, installed a test station in the field side of the ditch wall so the contractor wouldnt knock it out of his way. thats all i know to do , and it will run now. i love to fix what i can when the opportunity comes.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Wow, i just read this whole thread again, i havent been on in a while...."tunneling spade"....Wow.
    Why not call it a Debris Altering Device? Sounds just as proper

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I carry a garden trowel just for that. Homeowners bury those tracer wires all the time, some even cut them off at ground level.
    i too use a garden trowel, for cleaning out valve boxes and as my standard earth ground.

in texas they call a sharpshooter a gildooley or gildookey
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

TMO
    Years of Experience

My new love is my LONG handle Sharpshooter.

Years of Experience

DIG A HOLE!!?? ARE YOU FRIGGIN CRAZY!?!?!?!?! I MIGHT GET DIRT UNDER MY NAILS! Hehehehe

TMO
    Years of Experience

I know , the sharpshooter i gave you still has the stickers on it.
    BD2U likes this.

Years of Experience

You werent supposed to see that! I knew I should have swapped out the new one for the dirty one at home.....

They haven't made a sharpshooter yet that properly fits my hand.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

I just read through this tread, and this is something I have griped about.... there seems to be too many utilities that love that 3' deep range. this is no joke... one of my projects... I have 12" HS gas, 4" MP gas, power primaries, phone, cable, and now traffic... at or about that 3' range... in one location along this stretch of road... the cable installer actually ran his coax right beside (2" off) a 12" HS line... it makes for a difficult locate... as far as digging.... I seem to be digging a lot... I even asked my supervisor if we were locators or moles... the gas company here in georgia... depending on who the area manager is for them... may or may not respond to an escalated ticket. in most cases they want you to have dug down on it multiple times before they will send a distribution crew out to trouble shoot it.. and then if it is deemed unlocateable... it's doubtful they will fix it... I dug 2 holes yesterday... the last one... it was 2' wide.... 3' long and 4' deep. I had previously located a 2" MP gas line and another locator who use to have this area drove through and saw me marking it out and stopped to warn me that I wasn't on it... that he had once got that same signal and marked it... only to get a damage because instead of it running under the sidewalk... it ran in the beauty strip along side the road... the thing is... there were no access points for this pipe or a 4" MP that crossed at this point... so while I had it open yesterday.... I installed a test station with a tracer wire for both pipes... that took me 4.5 hours...and the companies wonder why they are losing money.... they need to start looking at their clients rather than blaming us....

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    I just read through this tread, and this is something I have griped about.... there seems to be too many utilities that love that 3' deep range. this is no joke... one of my projects... I have 12" HS gas, 4" MP gas, power primaries, phone, cable, and now traffic... at or about that 3' range... in one location along this stretch of road... the cable installer actually ran his coax right beside (2" off) a 12" HS line... it makes for a difficult locate... as far as digging.... I seem to be digging a lot... I even asked my supervisor if we were locators or moles... the gas company here in georgia... depending on who the area manager is for them... may or may not respond to an escalated ticket. in most cases they want you to have dug down on it multiple times before they will send a distribution crew out to trouble shoot it.. and then if it is deemed unlocateable... it's doubtful they will fix it... I dug 2 holes yesterday... the last one... it was 2' wide.... 3' long and 4' deep. I had previously located a 2" MP gas line and another locator who use to have this area drove through and saw me marking it out and stopped to warn me that I wasn't on it... that he had once got that same signal and marked it... only to get a damage because instead of it running under the sidewalk... it ran in the beauty strip along side the road... the thing is... there were no access points for this pipe or a 4" MP that crossed at this point... so while I had it open yesterday.... I installed a test station with a tracer wire for both pipes... that took me 4.5 hours...and the companies wonder why they are losing money.... they need to start looking at their clients rather than blaming us....
    In our area, aka, per our contract, the running joke is that there is no such thing as 'unlocatable'. Any company out here ,that wants to provide the service for our client, is only as good as the 'trouble' process , or , the process of escalating a locate up through the proper chain, to protect the facility. We are just bound by the text of the contract. This has driven us to write very specific guidelines our techs go by to put forth reasonable effort, then turn it over when they have exhausted a fair effort. techs dig up at a poly service riser to expose to the '90' in hopes of finding a tracer that may be spooled up or just stop short of coming up above grade.
    At the far end of the trouble process , our vac crews must technically vac 8' x 12' x 8'deep before we can turn the trouble facility back over to the clients operations guys.
    I have pioneered and pushed hard for my techs to recieve pipehorns , learn how to induce , and communicate at the highest levels , to curb the amount a guy has to spend on the end of a shovel. Even when the old companies policy was that NO techs used a pipehorn and NO techs induced with anything. That was immidiate termination. Techs did a lot more digging back then. BS!! I went into our old supply room , and picked through the 30-40 800hl's on theshelf , and got a few of my guys fixed up. Trained the ones who had never used one, and had then ntfy me and document the tkt when they had to mark by pipehorning only. Freaked out my bosses , but we didnt have damages because of it.

Many times i have told my guys to get with me when they are going to a 4000' project with 50 or more services we know are troubles. Poly inserts to steel mains. Tech hooks up and marks it as far as it will run, then moves to the next yard. I come in right behind him dropping my box on the main and we wind up getting everythng marked out.No digging. Dosent always work that way, but we just have to do what we can to protect the facility without burning out the boots on the ground.

TMO
    Years of Experience

I have a damn good crew , all of them will dig up a service when they have to without much whining. Our processes delay the contractor , so sometimes digging it up is the best way to verify the facility.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bd2u View Post
    you werent supposed to see that! I knew i should have swapped out the new one for the dirty one at home.....
    hmmmm....

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

well our company policy is... if you use a horn... ya gotta dig and spot it.... and by unlocateable... I am talking a gas main that we found 6 tracer wire breaks in about 100'... it was the utility that deemed it as unlocateable...
    I'm not griping about digging... I am griping about there being no standards for the installation of the utilities... ya get a strong signal and it shows a depth of 3'2".... what would you think it was if you were connected to a gas service?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    what would you think it was if you were connected to a gas service?
    That would depend on my mA readings. A "good" tone when locating degraded steel or PE plastic with a 12guage tracer is subjective. Frankly if I'm locating gas, I'm extremely suspicious of ANY high mA tone I receive, as it has been my experience that if you have a high signal strength, chances are you are bleeding onto a telecom cable, whether it be phone or CATV. If I'm showing 12.5mA at the transmitter, I'm more inclined to trust that 4.5mA consistent tone/depth, than I am the 12mA/variable depth signal...now that I'm trying to explain it, I find it hard to describe...

Of all the utilities I've located, gas tends to be the one that is more "by feel" than the others. Becoming good with gas comes with much experience, seeing how the equipment reacts to various scenarios, and out right digging the thing up so you KNOW what you THINK is what IS.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

well on some of my projects you could run into gas, telephone, cable or traffic at that depth and the reading you spoke of....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234