Thread: Wall mount locate Stations?

Default Wall mount locate Stations?

I am looking for a clean/ neat wall mount locate station for the point of entrance of Fiber to a building. So the locator can break the tracer grounded inside the building without going inside and breaking the ground off, or in some cases not having to craw down in a vault to break connections where a locate pole station is not a aesthetically viable option. Any one seen something like this that is not a home made turd on the side of a school, ect. Thanks

Years of Experience

Default Re: Wall mount locate Stations?

First question would be, does the fiber come up the outside of the building into an LB or a pull box?

If it comes up in a pull box, just leave a coil of locate wire in there for the locator. They can ground to the earth to locate. Or, run a ground to a ground rod and leave it inside the box with a ground lug.

If it comes up in an LB and you're pulling the locate wire inside the conduit with the fiber, you're screwed. But what do I know, I only do this for a living.

Years of Experience

If it is in a LB you can pull a little tracer and cut and wire nut it back together or use a cheater clip. In my area they put a sheet metal box up high at the entry point I just remove the cover and go.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    If it is in a LB you can pull a little tracer and cut and wire nut it back together or use a cheater clip. In my area they put a sheet metal box up high at the entry point I just remove the cover and go.
    That's the pull box I was talking about.

With the LB, the best you can do is leave the coil of tracer wire in there (I've done this a few times), and I'll leave an 3/4" to 1" tail sticking out of it, the downside is, now the LB is no longer weatherproof.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The Cambridge Telephone CO has an access point like you are talking about. 2 fibers enter the building and are locatable by accessing a small plastic box next to the front entrance. You pop off the cover and unscrew a nut that grounds both wires. The wires are labeled so there is no guessing. Then, you just hook-up and go. Next time I'm over there I'll take a picture for you. It is rather simple. It doesn't look like a turd but it ain't decorative either.
    "Change does not always equal progress."