Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VM 550/560 new locator inquiry...

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Re: VM 550/560 new locator inquiry...

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Sounds like you know more about them then me. I guess mine is a 1 watt. I just use it. I don't think I remember the lunch box style transmitter. I do remember the flat ones, but I thought they were 10 watt trans. Shows how much I know. Deerrr!!
    If you see a picture of lunchbox transmitter u will remember,i will never forget changing out the 12 D batteries.

Years of Experience
    na

You know I had used one of those flat transmitters when I d transferred to Florida for a stint... It was the supervisors though and did nt grasp the fact that it was just a lower output option... Hell he had to switch the damn thing on...

I had the lunch box transmitter then the current heavy weight type. But that is a good thought to hunt down a smaller transmitter...

Thanks

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    You know I had used one of those flat transmitters when I d transferred to Florida for a stint... It was the supervisors though and did nt grasp the fact that it was just a lower output option... Hell he had to switch the damn thing on...

I had the lunch box transmitter then the current heavy weight type. But that is a good thought to hunt down a smaller transmitter...

Thanks
    Those rd400 1 watt transmitters are great for residental style 811 locating.

Years of Experience
    na

are they still in production or never mind I ll check the radio detection website...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Okay since there are limited locate manufacturer categories... I don't know why the preferences but !?!
    The manufacturers represented are those I have contacted who want representation. I have reached out to others and received no response or have received a "no thank you".
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

are they still in production or never mind I ll check the radio detection website...
    If you find one of those lunchbox transmitters, post a pic. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember it. I hate that new 8000 trans. 8 D's that go dead the same day you replace them.

Years of Experience
    20+

If you find one of those lunchbox transmitters, post a pic. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember it. I hate that new 8000 trans. 8 D's that go dead the same day you replace them.
    go to google and type in radiodetection hptx transmitter

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    The rd400 transmitters that had 3 freqs and took 4 d batteries are the 1 watt transmitters.They look like old pullout radios.The lunch box style rd transmitters that took 12 d batteries are the 3 watt transmitters.The flat rd400 transmitters with the digital screen are the 5 watt transmitters.
    The RD400's I used were 1 watt had only 3 freq. The grey flat ones I thought were a Rdtx5 or something like that something. A 5 watt system but you could use two freqs at once. A good system and the batteries lasted for ever it seemed.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    The RD400's I used were 1 watt had only 3 freq. The grey flat ones I thought were a Rdtx5 or something like that something. A 5 watt system but you could use two freqs at once. A good system and the batteries lasted for ever it seemed.
    Yes the RD433-HCTX 5 watt transmitter is great and the batteries did last a longtime.I just hated when the backlight in the digital display went out,so you had to look hard to see the freq and ma numbers.Took some years for the bulb to blow,lol

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    The manufacturers represented are those I have contacted who want representation. I have reached out to others and received no response or have received a "no thank you".
    Ok so I found your reasoning... I don't always respond cause I lose track where I commented and if there was a response...

Anyway, I did nt realize you needed a permission to create category's for the various manufacturers...

I did nt consider it a representation that required consent... Maybe so ? I take for granted the default clause of "any comments or opinion do not represent the quality or performance of the equipment discussed" ...

I just thought youbeing partial to the particular manufacturers...

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I use a RD7000 which is like the RD8000 but no bluetooth or compass. My batteries last pretty good. the rd400 1 watt will do the job on most residential type locating. I have the volume shut off and just keep it wattage set at one bar on my 7000. With the battery light blinking I can use it that way for almost two days, if I have a lot of short locate times.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I use a RD7000 which is like the RD8000 but no bluetooth or compass. My batteries last pretty good. the rd400 1 watt will do the job on most residential type locating. I have the volume shut off and just keep it wattage set at one bar on my 7000. With the battery light blinking I can use it that way for almost two days, if I have a lot of short locate times.
    The batteries do last ok in the summer, but it's too big, bulky, and heavy and the batteries only last a couple days in the winter months. That's my main reasons for not using it. The only time I do use it, is if I have multiple cables that I need to mark. Then I will use both transmitters with different frequencies, mark one then switch to the other frequency and mark the other on the way back.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have used the new 560 a few times and have been very impressed with the accuracy and ease of use. We have had no issues with the construction, and it appears to be pretty accurate as well. It has 8/480 and passive 50/60 which seems to work well. I like it, and our guys like it. You can use the VM clamp and direct connects with it, but it induces very well.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ok so I found your reasoning... I don't always respond cause I lose track where I commented and if there was a response...

Anyway, I did nt realize you needed a permission to create category's for the various manufacturers...

I did nt consider it a representation that required consent... Maybe so ? I take for granted the default clause of "any comments or opinion do not represent the quality or performance of the equipment discussed" ...

I just thought you being partial to the particular manufacturers...
    Actually, I was trying a strong arm technique that didn't work. I figured since a majority of their customers come to this site it might be of interest to them to have a central place to go to answer questions and promote products. It would be of benefit to the members of thecablevine.com to have a manufacturer represented forum. I didn't want to put up a forum that didn't have any representation because it wouldn't be as useful as one that did. I was hoping the manufacturers would wonder why they weren't on here and then inquire about it thus getting the ball rolling on have a represented forum. Nobody inquired. Oh, well.

But, after your post I thought I would go ahead and just put up the major manufacturers and leave it at that. Those that want to participate, can. Those that don't, are missing out. They should be up sometime this week.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; November 4th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    DavidDodd likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    On a related note, rumor has it that a VERY large locate company is designing/building there own equipment in the very near future . I am sure some test units have trickled out there ?
    This is old news...................I have a truck load of these in my driveway. pict0004-2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pict0004.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast