Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VM 550/560 new locator inquiry...

Years of Experience
    na

Default VM 550/560 new locator inquiry...

Okay since there are limited locate manufacturer categories... I don't know why the preferences but !?!

I thought Metrotech/Vivax may be a deserved category manufacturer since not, I will establish my inquiry here...

Has anyone experienced any usage of the Vm - 550 or 560 !? If so what are your thoughts ?

I just discovered these new models and noted the 560 has the 8/480khz...

Also with a 4D's transmitter I would suspect that battery power to give sufficient output...

Could be an excellent drop ticket alternative to toting the RD clunker around ?

Yeah, yeah the pipe horn... not when your a lefty and need direct and the non inductive direct connect option for all the fios crap...

anyway has anyone tried these yet? and if they seem a sturdy alternative?

Curious if that receiver wand would be brittle or easily broken ? add says it is carbon fiber could be an expensive repair ?

attached is the item - VM560 Pipe and Cable Locator
    Last edited by USIC1; October 27th, 2013 at 07:46 AM.

Years of Experience

Default Re: VM 550/560 new locator inquiry...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Okay since there are limited locate manufacturer categories... I don't know why the preferences but !?!

I thought Metrotech/Vivax may be a deserved category manufacturer since not, I will establish my inquiry here...

Has anyone experienced any usage of the Vm - 550 or 560 !? If so what are your thoughts ?

I just discovered these new models and noted the 560 has the 8/480khz...

Also with a 4D's transmitter I would suspect that battery power to give sufficient output...

Could be an excellent drop ticket alternative to toting the RD clunker around ?

Yeah, yeah the pipe horn... not when your a lefty and need direct and the non inductive direct connect option for all the fios crap...

anyway has anyone tried these yet? and if they seem a sturdy alternative?

Curious if that receiver wand would be brittle or easily broken ? add says it is carbon fiber could be an expensive repair ?

attached is the item - VM560 Pipe and Cable Locator
    Last edited by superman; October 27th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Years of Experience

I see the water companies using these. I think they are good for finding valves and covered meters, but not sure about everyday use for contract locators. May be ok for a one way fiber locator.

Years of Experience

The VM560 is an excellent piece of equipment. The VM 560 does not locate ferrous metal (The VM 880 is what you most likely see the water company using). They look just alike and Vivax should have combined these features into one unit. I prefer using the VM 560 over the Pipehorn.

Years of Experience

On a related note, rumor has it that a VERY large locate company is designing/building there own equipment in the very near future . I am sure some test units have trickled out there ?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    On a related note, rumor has it that a VERY large locate company is designing/building there own equipment in the very near future . I am sure some test units have trickled out there ?
    For themselves of course. But what contract locate firm, were the big sales volume is, is going to buy it? Hard to sell to others when they know every penny they pay for their locate equipment will be used to compete against them. Buying from your competitor is like giving bullets to your enemy, bad idea.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

For themselves of course. But what contract locate firm, were the big sales volume is, is going to buy it? Hard to sell to others when they know every penny they pay for their locate equipment will be used to compete against them. Buying from your competitor is like giving bullets to your enemy, bad idea.

I believe Heath Consultants uses their own equipment. They started in the 1930s' before there were call before you dog laws as an equipment manufacture.

H C - Underground Pipe and Cable Locating Products

Years of Experience

Pro for little I have heard it is only for their use my guess is they will have a exisiting company manufacture it for them but they are going to do all repairs etc themselves

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I believe Heath Consultants uses their own equipment. They started in the 1930s' before there were call before you dog laws as an equipment manufacture.

H C - Underground Pipe and Cable Locating Products
    I have a personal heath for back-up if the rd funks out which it has nt yet...

The heath transmitter is no better to tote than the Rd transmitter BULK wise... the volume sucks if your in a noisy environment...

heaths are nt industrialized or weather resistant shall I say - the necks on the receiver will break in a heartbeat...the transmitter lid to the plastic box does nt seal well and I have had the fuse blown multiple times because of moisture...

the gain cant be tightened up since its automatic...

Heath needs to be re-designed to compete with the competition imo...

they cost to much for what they bring to the field...

finally the transmitter or leads will shock the piss out of you just like the rd... HA!
    Last edited by USIC1; October 27th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post
    The VM560 is an excellent piece of equipment. The VM 560 does not locate ferrous metal (The VM 880 is what you most likely see the water company using). They look just alike and Vivax should have combined these features into one unit. I prefer using the VM 560 over the Pipehorn.
    what about that carbon fiber wand though ? is it sturdy...

remember all the issues with the ends on the older pipe horn receivers breaking and then its an expensive repair...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I have a personal heath for back-up if the rd funks out which it has nt yet...

The heath transmitter is no better to tote than the Rd transmitter BULK wise...
    Why don't you find an old 3 or 10 watt RD 400 transmitter? It works just fine with the 4000, 7000, or 8000 receiver. It's smaller and lighter due to holding 8 less D batteries than the 8000 trans. My 8000 trans just sets in the back of the truck under the dust.
    Last edited by superman; October 27th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Why don't you find an old 3 or 10 watt RD 400 transmitter? It works just fine with the 4000, 7000, or 8000 receiver. It's smaller and lighter due to holding 8 less D batteries than the 8000 trans. My 8000 trans just sets in the back of the truck under the dust.
    The old rd400s had 10 watt transmitters?Which 1 is smaller and lighter holding 8 less batteries?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    The old rd400s had 10 watt transmitters?Which 1 is smaller and lighter holding 8 less batteries?
    I know the 3 watt uses 4 D batteries and lasts forever. 3-6 weeks in the summer and 2-3 weeks in winter depending how much you locate. I am running 3-4 way locates and doing about 25 tics a day with mine. You can only use 3 different frequencies with them though. I think the 10 watt is a little bigger and not sure how many batteries they took. Someone else may know better then me on that. Still using my 8000 receiver though. Love it.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I know the 3 watt uses 4 D batteries and lasts forever. 3-6 weeks in the summer and 2-3 weeks in winter depending how much you locate. I am running 3-4 way locates and doing about 25 tics a day with mine. You can only use 3 different frequencies with them though. I think the 10 watt is a little bigger and not sure how many batteries they took. Someone else may know better then me on that. Still using my 8000 receiver though. Love it.
    The rd400 transmitters that had 3 freqs and took 4 d batteries are the 1 watt transmitters.They look like old pullout radios.The lunch box style rd transmitters that took 12 d batteries are the 3 watt transmitters.The flat rd400 transmitters with the digital screen are the 5 watt transmitters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    The rd400 transmitters that had 3 freqs and took 4 d batteries are the 1 watt transmitters.They look like old pullout radios.The lunch box style rd transmitters that took 12 d batteries are the 3 watt transmitters.The flat rd400 transmitters with the digital screen are the 5 watt transmitters.
    Sounds like you know more about them then me. I guess mine is a 1 watt. I just use it. I don't think I remember the lunch box style transmitter. I do remember the flat ones, but I thought they were 10 watt trans. Shows how much I know. Deerrr!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast