Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: " Smart Stick"?Anyone?

TMO
    Years of Experience

Default " Smart Stick"?Anyone?

Been hearing rumers of a smart paint stick. reciever and paint with 1 tool. Anyone else caught this rumor floating around?
    I have no idea how i COULD work , or how much it wieghs , but...
    Also been hearing about a 'smart' truck with its own server inside.

Years of Experience

Default Re: " Smart Stick"?Anyone?

I don't think I could locate without a paintstick in my right hand. I would feel off balanced. It always acts as a crutch when on uneven terrain.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A gps enabled paint stick with a wireless link to the laptop in your truck. Keeps constant track of your location, the color paint you loaded into the stick and every time you pull the trigger records where you put the paint. Imagine what that will cost to outfit your entire company with them. Considering the beating a paint stick takes they better be made of armor plate.

Years of Experience

yes .......this is all familiar! future utiliquest/sts events coming soon!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    yes .......this is all familiar! future utiliquest/sts events coming soon!
    Another couple of million spent on new surveillance toys along with the proposed "smart trucks", the current gps in the trucks and all the rest.
    I heard you guys are getting your fair share of the big spending. Big raises along with fully paid medical and more vacation time. After all these new gizmos have made you guys so productive they are making money had over fist.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't know about you guys, but my paint stick doubles as a "berry beater", "Dog beater", and the occasional "turkey beater" I'd hate it if they put expensive elctronics in it.

mke

Years of Experience

I would hate to not be able to locate because my paint stick was running slow.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    A gps enabled paint stick with a wireless link to the laptop in your truck. Keeps constant track of your location, the color paint you loaded into the stick and every time you pull the trigger records where you put the paint. Imagine what that will cost to outfit your entire company with them. Considering the beating a paint stick takes they better be made of armor plate.
    Bingo! This is excactly what i've heard too. With all the innovation being developed towards documenting locations of lines ( and apparently the paint too ) , it makes me wonder why we ( the boots on the ground ) dont have access to the documentation while on site during future locates .. Even the E-sketches we do , they get uploaded to our server, but i've never heard why we arent able to pull one back up if we want to.Maybe to be some sort of assist on a late night oncall in an area im not familiar with? So i wonder how awesome the smartstick would be , when i know we wont have access to the info it will record.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    Bingo! This is excactly what i've heard too. With all the innovation being developed towards documenting locations of lines ( and apparently the paint too ) , it makes me wonder why we ( the boots on the ground ) dont have access to the documentation while on site during future locates .. Even the E-sketches we do , they get uploaded to our server, but i've never heard why we arent able to pull one back up if we want to.Maybe to be some sort of assist on a late night oncall in an area im not familiar with? So i wonder how awesome the smartstick would be , when i know we wont have access to the info it will record.
    The way I understand it is they do no want you do bring up that info because if you do you may not hook up and tone the job again on remark tickets.

They do not want you to come back today to a job you painted yesterday for a catv drop where everything is already marked and not hook up and re-tone the entire thing again. The idea being that you may have made a mistake the first time and if you do it again you will not repeat that mistake. Since such a device records every mark you make and what color paint you put down along with the exact time you made each individual paint mark you cannot leave the scene with fully toning and marking. That you are an experienced locator who does not get damages and quality checks show you do great work is not an issue for them. There are so many poorly trained locators out there now somebody thinks it is a great idea to spend money on electronics that will make anybody a great locator. (they think such things will make a great locator, we know better.) Of course production falls and they will be very puzzled as to why. They cannot blame their decision on spending hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars on equipment that reduces or eliminates profit.
    They will blame the locators and look for other devices to buy that will magically turn Beavis and Butthead into great locators.

A lot of the electronics available today offer great advantages but improperly utilized will result in spending money to get rid of profits.

It is hard enough just finding people for who locating is appealing, many people just do not like it. It is a lot harder finding people who like it and are good at it. Now we have to find people who like having their every move, footstep recorded and then given constant reviews on it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but my paint stick doubles as a "berry beater", "Dog beater", and the occasional "turkey beater" I'd hate it if they put expensive elctronics in it.

mke
    Also the spraying paint is used to shoo away bees and wasps, keep dogs away, spray into an area to make spider webs visible, spray up into the air to clear a clogging nozzle.

Plus we use it to "dot" where we are uncertain and come back a little later when we are sure what we are on. That ought to lead to some confusion.

For you noobies you do not have to paint a dog to keep it away. The spray of paint into the air as a thin cloud before it gets too close keeps it back, they don't like the smell.

Years of Experience

fullly paid medical????? someone didn't telll me about that part....and the productive part ....if you was to say that 50 and 5 was the same numbers then i would say ...yes production is just the same! ha!
    Another couple of million spent on new surveillance toys along with the proposed "smart trucks", the current gps in the trucks and all the rest.
    I heard you guys are getting your fair share of the big spending. Big raises along with fully paid medical and more vacation time. After all these new gizmos have made you guys so productive they are making money had over fist.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

TMO
    Years of Experience

The way I understand it is they do no want you do bring up that info because if you do you may not hook up and tone the job again on remark tickets.

They do not want you to come back today to a job you painted yesterday for a catv drop where everything is already marked and not hook up and re-tone the entire thing again. The idea being that you may have made a mistake the first time and if you do it again you will not repeat that mistake. Since such a device records every mark you make and what color paint you put down along with the exact time you made each individual paint mark you cannot leave the scene with fully toning and marking. That you are an experienced locator who does not get damages and quality checks show you do great work is not an issue for them. There are so many poorly trained locators out there now somebody thinks it is a great idea to spend money on electronics that will make anybody a great locator. (they think such things will make a great locator, we know better.) Of course production falls and they will be very puzzled as to why. They cannot blame their decision on spending hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars on equipment that reduces or eliminates profit.
    They will blame the locators and look for other devices to buy that will magically turn Beavis and Butthead into great locators.

A lot of the electronics available today offer great advantages but improperly utilized will result in spending money to get rid of profits.

It is hard enough just finding people for who locating is appealing, many people just do not like it. It is a lot harder finding people who like it and are good at it. Now we have to find people who like having their every move, footstep recorded and then given constant reviews on it.
    Agreed! I know i love constantly being reviewed.....The truth is , im addicted to this work , so i dont mind a few different hoops to jump through. Sick , i know ...

TMO
    Years of Experience

Well, thanks proloc--- here's a quick look at a shiny blue one !
    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=293

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    Well, thanks proloc--- here's a quick look at a shiny blue one !
    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=293
    By chance I found that and posted that video and URL to another thread.

Did you notice that all the things the locators had to sign a nondisclosure agreement too were revealed in the video?

Perhaps something that is not known is that 100% of all tickets are now audited in the office.
    It looks like they had to hire people off the street and then train them to correct the experienced locator's work.

Because of truth in advertising laws, that video was made to present to prospective clients at presentations and trade shows, they are committed to all that GPS and other equipment. Just turning it off because it does not work as expected becomes a legal issue.

All that looks real impressive unless you happen to know that they are so far behind on their tickets here in DFW they offered double-time and a $200 bonus to their locators last week-end. They are in the same boat us USINK, they can't/won't hire enough locators to do the job properly. I heard that they were unable to do a locate for street bores in front of a Verizon CO this last week because they didn't have enough manhole equipment - guards, blowers, pumps. They just crossed their fingers I guess.

There is something turning rotten in the locating business down here involving UQ and USIC both.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast