Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Paint Can Shaker Patent Granted

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Portable Paint Can Shaker Patent Granted

Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    why not just tape 2 paint sticks together???
    Unfortunately some firms prohibit this. They think if you are locating multiple utilities some of which are buried joint you will only tone one and then spray the different colored paint from the second stick without hooking up. So if you are seen using two paint sticks taped together they ream you.

Years of Experience

I like the idea but I will have to agree with what was said up there!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    retired

Ahem. See the pix on my site of two sticks finagled together.

And while I don't locate anymore, I'm REALLY GOOD at shaking up bottles of whatever in the kitchen for my wife, and expect I'll be for a long time~!
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience

I think it's kinda cool. Good luck to you.

Years of Experience

I used to have 2 paint sticks taped together untill our safety dept. found out. turns out it is an ergonomic injury hazard. They did all they could to drop the weight of our paint sticks and teach us how to be ergonomically correct in how we located.

I don't know if it prevented any more shoulder and elbow sugeries(our crew has more than a few), but I don't have as much pain in my paint stick arm as I used to.

The pack rat locating vest is kind of handy for carrying an extra can of paint or two, if only the cans were easier to get in and out.

I also use the end of gas service stubs for flag holders, since they have ends welded on them.
    I also put a hook on the end of one to for a flag carrier that I can just hook on a pocket or behind my belt.

Years of Experience

I did find that a double paint stick aggravated my forearm once i droped the other stick the pain went away

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    I did find that a double paint stick aggravated my forearm once i droped the other stick the pain went away
    Try locating with the new Vivax receiver. That thing is heavy, my left arm is going to be twice the size of my right arm. I am thinking of tying a brick to my paint stick so I don't tilt to one side.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    I used to have 2 paint sticks taped together untill our safety dept. found out. turns out it is an ergonomic injury hazard. They did all they could to drop the weight of our paint sticks and teach us how to be ergonomically correct in how we located.

I don't know if it prevented any more shoulder and elbow sugeries(our crew has more than a few), but I don't have as much pain in my paint stick arm as I used to.

The pack rat locating vest is kind of handy for carrying an extra can of paint or two, if only the cans were easier to get in and out.

I also use the end of gas service stubs for flag holders, since they have ends welded on them.
    I also put a hook on the end of one to for a flag carrier that I can just hook on a pocket or behind my belt.
    If your firm uses the new Vivax receiver then they will quickly admit their mistake and retract that the two paint sticks taped together are a safety ricks due to their weight.

The Vivax receiver weighs just over 6 1/2 pounds which I bet is more than two fully loaded paint sticks.

The old Metrotech 810 receiver weights just less than 4 pounds. The newer locating receivers are more capable than the old ones but some are getting heavier and that includes the transmitters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Try locating with the new Vivax receiver. That thing is heavy, my left arm is going to be twice the size of my right arm. I am thinking of tying a brick to my paint stick so I don't tilt to one side.
    I have the RD8000 the weight of that is unreal very light

I guess I shouldn't have said the word "portable" as it seems to have everyone thinking it was made to be carried around. You are all so very right...nobody's goig to do that. What Iv'e learned about aerosol paint is that the pigment sits in the bottom of the can and gets thick and heavy like tar. But with my invention , I can thoruoghly mix 10 cans in 60 seconds no matter how stagnant they are. They get so well blended that they stay mixed for quite awhile too. My cordless tool kit lives in the back seat of my truck and in that sense it's portable. I'm not trying to sell you all a tool,
    I just like for every one to know that there is a better way than hand shaking cans . Thank you all for your candid feedback.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mixkwikis1st View Post
    I guess I shouldn't have said the word "portable" as it seems to have everyone thinking it was made to be carried around. You are all so very right...nobody's goig to do that. What Iv'e learned about aerosol paint is that the pigment sits in the bottom of the can and gets thick and heavy like tar. But with my invention , I can thoruoghly mix 10 cans in 60 seconds no matter how stagnant they are. They get so well blended that they stay mixed for quite awhile too. My cordless tool kit lives in the back seat of my truck and in that sense it's portable. I'm not trying to sell you all a tool,
    I just like for every one to know that there is a better way than hand shaking cans . Thank you all for your candid feedback.
    That, too me, is more realistic and doable. I find that if I shake a can really good to begin with, it does need less shakin' later on.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    15+

i would have liked to seen some thing that pluged into lighter socket & looked like the one at the paint store. once i get mine shaken i don't shake the can more than a couple of times before each use anyways

Nice little invention mixkwik. I saw the product this past weekend on 'Ask This Old House"
    It was in the segment where one guy brings in an odd looking device and everybody makes up a crazy use for it.
    Nice job!

Hey there, I know this is kinda late for an answer, but I built a saw stand for the sawsall to be used in shop applications using multiple paint cans. No one has ever had a reason to bench mount a sawsall before now, so it's new to the world. In response to your suggestion I have to say that my corded Skil model# 9205 w/ speed dial sits in this cradle, plugs into a cheap voltage transformer out of the cig lighter and mixes paint all day on my tailgate while I stripe the football field.

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    better idea than the shaker may be a flagging tool, something to insert marking flags with a co2 cartridge, kinda like a nail gun. best of luck with the shaker
    Yes! and one for stake chasers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast