• 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By locatethis

Thread: Peak time hiring

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Peak time hiring

An idea for the locate companies.

I think most of us have 'peak" seasons where the number of tickets is the highest. This usually over stresses the existing complement of locators resulting in many hours of overtime, damages from a push to get more tickets done and employee burn out.

It occurred to me there are some number of retired and semi retired locators out here. Law allows someone collecting social security to earn $15,700 a year without tax penalties or losing social security benefits. Often they work a minimum wage part time job most or all of the year.

Hire these people on a part time temporary employees. This way overtime is reduced and with it the increased overhead it causes. As part time temps they can be easily discharged if found inadequate. Also there are no benefits needed to be paid. Just put them in a vehicle and load them up with equipment and paint. Either they hit their earning ceiling or the work load drops and it's thank you, see you next year.
    yahoo, UULC and phoenix827 like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Peak time hiring

That's a pretty good idea. How would a person/company target these individuals for hiring?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

part time locating equipment , part time work truck , part time camera , part time laptop , part time old locator issues .....GREAT IDEA ...but contract companies will not go that route or most businesses in general . its better to hire new hire for tax incentives and the like AND to PAY all that OT as crazy as that sounds .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I do like your idea PL !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    That's a pretty good idea. How would a person/company target these individuals for hiring?
    On this site for a start.
    Local adds targeting area locators, would likely pick up between job younger locators as well. Being hired as temps the younger locators would be in a tryout period to see if they get hired on permanent. The temp status gets rid of a lot of legal issues if you did not want to keep them, do not have to justify their termination.

You would not likely fill all available position first year but remember, 'see you next year'. After a couple of years would have built up a base of peak time employees.

If a nationwide company advertise in AARP newsletter.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    part time locating equipment , part time work truck , part time camera , part time laptop , part time old locator issues .....GREAT IDEA ...but contract companies will not go that route or most businesses in general . its better to hire new hire for tax incentives and the like AND to PAY all that OT as crazy as that sounds .
    For many locate firms this is extra work for the level of management involved and here many are no different than some locators, do not want to work hard for their money.

Somebody out their may want to be number one enough to make the effort. You rise to number one by setting standards, not following the standards set by your competition.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience
    30+

When I retire and move to the mountians of easteren Tennessee that would be great. 2 gov't pensions and whatever SS is worth at the time. That would work.

Years of Experience

Sign me up! I'm sitting around with my two thumbs up my ass!!! I do find some handyman work but would love to get out there and paint again!
    daman1 likes this.
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!