Thread: Old trucks / Old computers

Years of Experience

Default Old trucks / Old computers

Would someone tell me why wouldn't a company give an old used up truck/and/or computer to an employee as a benefit when the old is changed out with the new? or an old camera, or cell phone, or anything else a company will replace sooner or later? maybe as a benefit an employee may be retained longer if heor she would take care of something they would later get to use as their own? is this a good idea or no? Appeciate your advice up front.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Old trucks / Old computers

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    Would someone tell me why wouldn't a company give an old used up truck/and/or computer to an employee as a benefit when the old is changed out with the new? or an old camera, or cell phone, or anything else a company will replace sooner or later? maybe as a benefit an employee may be retained longer if heor she would take care of something they would later get to use as their own? is this a good idea or no? Appeciate your advice up front.
    Many of these trucks they do not own, they are leased.

Some firms do own some really old trucks and when they cost more to repair than they are worth they bulk sale them cheap. They have regular people they deal with who will part out the trucks. Sometimes they take a truck with a bad trans and swap it's engine to a truck with a good trans to sell, then part out the scraped truck. These old trucks go for a few hundred bucks each when they no longer operate.

They could easily sell them to the employees to fix up for themselves but for one thing, they don't want to spend the time to do it. That is exactly what one fleet manager told me. He could just post an e-mail to a guy listing the trucks and he would come over, lay down some cash and haul off the trucks. Nice and easy.

I would guess that the old equipment like cameras, laptops and other stuff goes the same way.

The employees are just not worth the effort to them.

Is it a good idea? Yes and IBM had such program of selling their old equipment to their employees first. Since
    IBM trained it's own service techs they would take old machines and rebuild them for training, the rebuilt units were sold to their employees. I was the only kid in junior high , they call them middle schools now, that did his homework on an IBM electric typewriter.

have u asked them if you could by the old truck with cash .. but i see whut u are saying kinda like a good boy bonus . espically if ther are going to scrapem cheap

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

most of the trucks are leased and that is why when the reach the high mileage mark they are traded out so they can still get a descent price for them. By resaling the opold otrucks offsets the cost of the new one. All my old phones and cameras were replaced because they broke. I think someone check and the price they quoted was high. I would think the computers are not leased and would be a good tax write off to give them to a school or charity. If interested in the trucks i would call the fleet that manages your trucks and see if they could direct you to someone in the resales dept.

Years of Experience
    15+

you do realize some of these trucks are like some locators 2nd home they like live in them for 10 - 14 hour days. the smell the dirt & how much more you would have to clean that truck to use as personal i have seen some that went for sale they were still as messy & dirty as the locator left them & then some looked like a good used truck
    if it was say the one i drove then i would want it
    used electonics are only good for paper weights out dated full of dust, this stuff is not for me i would want brand new

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

It would work great if you kept the truck you were driving, but knowing the luck of the locator, you would get Stinky Pete's truck. The one kept together with bailing wire and JB weld. Which is also the one that is covered with a thin film of smokers tar, and smells of month old Kim-Chee. Don't forget she just rolled 300k miles on the Odo.

Maybe she wouldn't be a benefit after all?

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Giving old equipment over to employees is open to a lot of abuse.

The records can show 20 cameras given to 20 employees where they were really sold at a yard sale or on eBay by a manager. So selling off the old inventory for a reasonable price is really the only way to go. To secure this against abuse it is done with payroll deduction.

As for the dirty old trucks, they can be cleaned up. My area has lots of sticky clay and I have a go where the work is attitude so lots gets tracked back into the truck.

Still in reassigned trucks you find a lot of disgusting things especially where the previous employee improperly used the trucks for personal use. In some of these rolling biohazards I have found half eaten petrified food, dirty diapers in the truck bed and used condoms under the seat.

Years of Experience

it does sound like a good idea but would one employee get his original truck he started with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this idea could work as a bone-us system..........
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

After spending hours and hours in my truck, the last thing I'd want to do is own it...too many bad memories lol

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Giving old equipment over to employees is open to a lot of abuse.

The records can show 20 cameras given to 20 employees where they were really sold at a yard sale or on eBay by a manager. So selling off the old inventory for a reasonable price is really the only way to go. To secure this against abuse it is done with payroll deduction.

As for the dirty old trucks, they can be cleaned up. My area has lots of sticky clay and I have a go where the work is attitude so lots gets tracked back into the truck.

Still in reassigned trucks you find a lot of disgusting things especially where the previous employee improperly used the trucks for personal use. In some of these rolling biohazards I have found half eaten petrified food, dirty diapers in the truck bed and used condoms under the seat.
    Every truck I have been given was a wrecked rattleing POS.. the fleet service refuses to pay for routine maintainence. Had 2 bad ball joints and swing arm, out of alignment and bald tires and they refused for 2 weeks just to get tires and never repaired the other major problems. I wouldnt buy anything that came from USIC...