Thread: next gen gpr

Years of Experience

Default next gen gpr

I would like to see the next generation of gpr come along, that might work in dense, rocky soil.
    Maybe it could have a mulit-freq reciever built in so you could light up different lines at the same time and match the freq. to echoes on the gpr screen.
    Who of you out there has a few million to invest?
    Make it happen!!

Wait!!
    Couldn't that put me out of a job?
    Ahhh crap!

Default Re: next gen gpr

I would like to see THIS GENERATION of GPR work the way it's touted by the manufacturer!

Soil Conditions screw with it, Water tables screw with it, Rocks and C&D screw with it, Standing puddles screw with it, ETC. ETC.

Years of Experience

The military has been working on some new and innovative technology with GPR in Iraq and Afghanistan. Smaller hand-held units are currently being used to detect IED's and the like - no more "lawnmowers" - these units look a lot like modern metal detectors. Some Japanese firms are also taking GPR a few steps forward, but I don't think a lot of progress is being made with the technology as a whole when it comes to soil and water conditions.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Wouldn't sonar be better than radar in this type of application? I was thinking of this the other night (I was watching Deep Sea Detectives on the History Channel) and some of the side scan sonar they are using in the oceans are producing some fantastic images (much better than ANYTHING I have seen using GPR), and they are REAL TIME images, not post processed later so you can see something (although their post processed images ARE BAD ASS to say the least).

It's basically the same theory right? Send a signal out, it hits something and returns to produce an image. Isn't it just different wave lengths and frequencies?

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sonar's effectiveness and quality is a direct result of waters ability to efficiently carry sound waves for thousands of miles with very little original energy.....The same can't be said for soil unfortunately.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia