Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new "OSHA" Manhole Hooks

Default Re: new "OSHA" Manhole Hooks

How do you put the cover back over the manhole? Pulling the manhole back over the hole can be just as bad as taking it off.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I use my old reliable MH Hook, but she gets enough use we usually have to replace her every 2-3years, unless I lose it on site somewhere. I have used the older version of this "osha" puller (the one with the Chains). It worked ok for most MH's but had issues depending on the situation. Ice of course, but if the ground around the MH is too soggy, it would just sink into the dirt.

I have to dissagree with Ifindit a little bit, The aviation rated MH don't slide at all, the way they are designed they need to be pulled vertically then slid. These cheater bars don't help in that situation. However the 800lbs lids are a bit much to use the old fasion hook on as well. you can do it, but takes alot of knee, and you feel it the next day. God forbid if it is a bolted lid and doesn't seat correctly untill the bolt holes line up, then with any hook it takes forever....and I mean forever to line up the holes.

With the Airfield lids we like to use... http://www.amazon.com/Manhole-Cover-.../dp/B000OP3C7O

those make it easy, but we only use them for the big daddies, most we wrestle with the MH hook.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I use my old reliable MH Hook, but she gets enough use we usually have to replace her every 2-3years, unless I lose it on site somewhere. I have used the older version of this "osha" puller (the one with the Chains). It worked ok for most MH's but had issues depending on the situation. Ice of course, but if the ground around the MH is too soggy, it would just sink into the dirt.

I have to dissagree with Ifindit a little bit, The aviation rated MH don't slide at all, the way they are designed they need to be pulled vertically then slid. These cheater bars don't help in that situation. However the 800lbs lids are a bit much to use the old fasion hook on as well. you can do it, but takes alot of knee, and you feel it the next day. God forbid if it is a bolted lid and doesn't seat correctly untill the bolt holes line up, then with any hook it takes forever....and I mean forever to line up the holes.

With the Airfield lids we like to use... http://www.amazon.com/Manhole-Cover-.../dp/B000OP3C7O

those make it easy, but we only use them for the big daddies, most we wrestle with the MH hook.

mke
    man I know some body builders that would love to get hold of a few of those things.......(the covers that is)..........
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Are you talking about a "sissy bar"? If so they are great. They use leverage to open the manhole/handhole instead of your back. The are especially great for them 250 lb handhole lids that seem to glue themselves shut. The hook is a little cumbersome at first but once you get used to using one you'll never go back.(pun intended)
    Ok here is the deal with the "sissy bar" I have one in my truck, after the 2nd time that it came apart and busted my hand all to hell i didnt put it back together. Instead i found a way to get ahold of the old hook. The "sissy bar" doesnt even work for our fiber optic hand holes here, so what use is it to me except for a very dangerous and now dead weight taking up extra room in my truck.

This is the BIGGEST problem I think. TOO MANY DIFFERENT Man-Hole Covers!!!!!!!!!!

'Sissy bar' for one style, Regular old hook for others, magnets and chains for yet others, fiberglass handholes yet another and so on and so on.

If you had to carry a tool for EVERY one, your truck would be riding on the ground from the weight.

I have yet seen the 'swiss army tool' of man-hole hooks. Until then I guess it's still trial and error.

The biggest problem I run into is opening the ATT 3'x5' steel , spring assisted handholes. It seems the springs quit working and the covers become nearly impossible to lift. The new 'sissy bar' doesn't work on these. I once tried tying one to my truck's bumper but that didn't work. If anyone has any suggestions on opening these I would appreciate hearing from you.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Up here in the pacific northwest we just started seeing a "tamper proof" manhole. Thanks again to the tweakers. The new MH's have the old style lid that is not that difficult to remove, unless its an elevated MH, then trying to pick it up and put it back on top of the rim is close to impossible.

Once you have the Lid removed then comes the "tamper proof" part. there is a large Stainless Steel salad bowl recessed into the opening, in the middle of this is a padlock.

If you have the key you will unlock this which will give you access to typical vault bolt. The bolt is connected to a cross bar on the other end of a thick stranded wire. you loosen the bolt and it loosens the tension on the cross bar.

All this is fantastic, except the fact that we live in a rainy climate, and when that salad bowl fills up with water, its usually 6-8" deep, and weighs 20lbs. makes it verry difficult to remove.

mke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12