Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new "OSHA" Manhole Hooks

Default new "OSHA" Manhole Hooks

Has anyone tried these funky looking things yet and if so how do they do?

Years of Experience

Default Re: new "OSHA" Manhole Hooks

Are you talking about a "sissy bar"? If so they are great. They use leverage to open the manhole/handhole instead of your back. The are especially great for them 250 lb handhole lids that seem to glue themselves shut. The hook is a little cumbersome at first but once you get used to using one you'll never go back.(pun intended)

cool, thx I just got mine thins morning but havent had a chance to try it out yet.

Years of Experience

i can not stand mine!!! i still have my old one .....thank God!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    15+

wait till you use it on ice

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    wait till you use it on ice
    "I agree"

Just remember to be super carefull while on ice. The first time the bottom slipes out on you and that bar hits you in the "BOYS". You will throw it as fare as you can and will walk back to the truck and get "old faithful".

Thats why i call it the PU**y Bar

Sorry Golden, gotta agree with everyone else here. That thing is a piece of dog shit. Mine fell apart after 2 uses, gave me blue balls, and just plain ol' pissed me off.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I bought two a couple of yearsago, I don't know how much use they get, I'll have to ask on Monday. Nobody is asking me for replacements, or for new ones for that matter. However, I DO know they loved them for the airfield work where all manholes are rated for 747 traffic.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Sorry Golden, gotta agree with everyone else here. That thing is a piece of dog shit. Mine fell apart after 2 uses, gave me blue balls, and just plain ol' pissed me off.
    I hate being the odd man out. Maybe it's because of the amount of manholes and handholes in my area. I open appr. 10-15 mh/hh lids everyday. My back was starting to get to me.

As far as using it on the ice I do agree but what about using the old style hook and it slips while you are pulling and before you know it you are flying backwards into traffic.

Years of Experience

I know there's a lot of naysayers that are against the sissy hook, but the few times I've used one (I've never been given one yet) I thought it was great. I don't understand how, if used properly, they cause so many problems. The regular manhole hooks obviously get the job done, but boy does it stress out my back.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

hey Golden...i only use mine2-3 times a day so that's probably the difference!!! back usually does hurt 2-3 days later.......just don't like the nw one!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Sorry to sound like an ass GB. That wasn't my intention. I usually pull about 15-20 MH on an average day (lots of MH in my area). The only time I ever pull that thing out is if the manhole is frozen shut or won't budge. Other than that, I use the old reliable. I about threw my back out using one of those bars last year.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    The only time I ever pull that thing out is if the manhole is frozen shut or won't budge.
    Im sure that Im stating the obvious here, but when a lid gets all jammed shut (usually a roadway lid) with dirt and/or frost etc.. the best way to loosen it up is a few good whacks with a sledgehammer. After that, a reg lifter should pop it right open.

For the safety minded.. good idea to don some ear protectors before whacking the lid with a sledge. I lived with the 'ringing' for a while before I smartened up and started putting on some muffs for that chore.

And, in the event that the manhole contains some highly explosive atmosphere, and the sparks from the whacking sets it off.. then you actually dont need to use the lifter !! (oh ya, thats the part where we're supposed to test thru the lift hole with a sniffer hose first eh ?)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Never seen this manhole hook before...I'll have to bring it up at the next meet to see what the sup says about getting some for the ol' farts that are out of work on occassion for thrown backs.

My bet is he'll laugh then deny just like he did about the safety vests I found on here that some were using....man I still want one of those.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I hate being the odd man out. Maybe it's because of the amount of manholes and handholes in my area. I open appr. 10-15 mh/hh lids everyday. My back was starting to get to me.

As far as using it on the ice I do agree but what about using the old style hook and it slips while you are pulling and before you know it you are flying backwards into traffic.
    I agree we have had these "new hooks" for several years before I stopped working. When we had the old style I chipped the bone in my arm blocking it from hitting me in the face when it slipped off the man hole cover, I have seen people blow out thier backs from not lifting with them properly. The only bad thing I found with the new hooks were most of the older b.s.t. covers wore too small for the wider hook.............
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast