Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest contribution-

Years of Experience
    na

Default My latest contribution-

A simple but new and helpful improvement -

will be coming in the near future under my signature....

I am locking it onto my signature to make others aware of what will become a new common standard in the field...

Just as common as the back to back dual paint sticks...

I will be heading to lowes tommorrow...I believe the ferncos either dont have an inner ridge or the shoulders are to short risking the paint can falling out to easily...So pvc looks to be the best bet...

This theory is untried... But I know it wil be an effective improvement...

Last edited by USIC1; May 29th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My latest contribution-

You can't just talk about it, you gotta take a couple of pictures and post them here so we can copy your idea and take credit for it.

Seriously, though. Sounds like a good idea.

Years of Experience

I'm afraid a locator in Oklahoma has beat ya to it USIC. He was using a set-up like you described as long ago as 4 years ago. I found it cumbersome and always just used a swag-bag (no pun intended) to carry paint on long locates.

He loved his set-up though. It is a good idea if it works for ya.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    na

Well first off I thought of it where the cans needed to be stuck together but then another locater I talked to said it shouldnt matter if you have enough shoulder...

I need WING to design it... He is the layout artist...

I dont have the knowlegde or software available to do a layout...

Its really so simple, a depiction isn t even necessary...

But the other locator I talked to about it thought it was a good idea as well...

OKAY RD come on... I knew you would try and turnout the lights...
    Last edited by USIC1; May 29th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Years of Experience

Not trying to turn out the lights at all.

It's a good idea for some. Just not for me. But it DOES work. Your idea is sound.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

SIC1, I have also seen locators up here do the same thing. Hell I know of 1 guy that made 2 paint sticks spray at the same time while only pressing 1 trigger, plus had 2 holders for spare full cans of paint.... Sorry, you're not first. But, good idea.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience
    na

RD,

my objective is to minimize material I tote around on ANY locate...

Old timers and newbs... They tote that 40ton 4000 and all the crap out on every locate... Its rather humorous to me... I compare it to a classic war movie, when a boot comes out with all the extra garbage for a patrol and the experienced sergeant says get over here and starts ripping all the extra useless bs off the guy....Thats my personal thought! HA!

Its not my bag... 90 percent of my locating involving TV, CATV, Power, can be accomplished carrying only a paint stick, transmitter, and receiver...Yeah I m not a walking locate text book.... I ve also never been fired for damages in 15 + yrs of locating...

Its about working smarter in my world of locating, that includes- consolidating the equipment and methods when available to get the locates done accurately, and in a timely manner...

Dont try an downplay my inventions and steal the spotlight...

See I need my the spotlights are so bright!!!

Last edited by USIC1; May 29th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Years of Experience
    na

AAHHH!!! screw you all...

I m going going to play my trumpet...

I dont need all this deflating input...

All the locators cycling through here, and no one has ever mentioned applying what I m talking about...

Years of Experience

As long as you spread the wealth with the fearless and I

Well, a while back you guys were going on about ways to carry spare cans on the stick. I gizmo'd a cup kinda holder for a spare can on the stick and I noticed right away that the stick was now almost 2x as heavy. Harder to poke into a brush for a quick shot, harder to tilt up for a curb-side shot etc. Im not a small guy by any means, but Id think youd have to have forearms like popeye to be swinging around 4 full cans on a stick all the time.

If I had to carry around 4 cans, Id probably be looking for a shoulder bag or some kind of web pockets mounted on my pant legs.

Now if someone could train a dog to wear a vest (safety vest of course) holding your cans and accessories, that would be slick.(plus, some help in case you get a run-in with another dog).

I guess nowdays, if your paint-dog takes a dump on someones lawn, you're supposed to pick it up...
    (May you live in interesting times)

ya gotta get a paint Injun

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    Well, a while back you guys were going on about ways to carry spare cans on the stick. I gizmo'd a cup kinda holder for a spare can on the stick and I noticed right away that the stick was now almost 2x as heavy. Harder to poke into a brush for a quick shot, harder to tilt up for a curb-side shot etc. Im not a small guy by any means, but Id think youd have to have forearms like popeye to be swinging around 4 full cans on a stick all the time.

If I had to carry around 4 cans, Id probably be looking for a shoulder bag or some kind of web pockets mounted on my pant legs.

Now if someone could train a dog to wear a vest (safety vest of course) holding your cans and accessories, that would be slick.(plus, some help in case you get a run-in with another dog).

I guess nowdays, if your paint-dog takes a dump on someones lawn, you're supposed to pick it up...
    What about that ongoing back log of the half emptys???

You know the ones you shake and guage whether you have to make that extra trip back to the truck if you run out early...

And if your on a long locate, typically your not darting around like your on a single lot ticket... The extra weight could be managed...

The idea of anymore than 4 cans would out run a legit signal or distance anyway... I dont think I ve ever ventured out on a locate where i would consider carrying more than 4 cans of paint...I dont like to get to far from the truck anyway... I mean, where would I take my 5, after every 15 anyway???

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post

Exactly my point....CUMBERSOME.

A swagbag slung over the shoulder makes more sense for me.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    What about that ongoing back log of the half emptys???
    Our cans are pretty forgiving for not running out abruptly. The paint starts to thin out fairly early on, but you can still get a good mark out of it. Ill usually run cans out to at least 80% empty. On a long line, ill swap out the part used can for a new one, but then ill switch back for the next locate. I keep saying Ill use the 20%er's for something, but truth is they usually find their way to the bin. Our guys spray our stakes (we dont use flags), and oddly, it only just occured to me that we should be giving those part-cans to them to use for the bulk spraying.

Hehe.. wonder if I bring it up, then down the road one of the guys is lookin to smack me one for having to use old dried out mostly empty cans to spray his groups of stakes with.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    RD,

my objective is to minimize material I tote around on ANY locate...

Old timers and newbs... They tote that 40ton 4000 and all the crap out on every locate... Its rather humorous to me... I compare it to a classic war movie, when a boot comes out with all the extra garbage for a patrol and the experienced sergeant says get over here and starts ripping all the extra useless bs off the guy....Thats my personal thought! HA!

Its not my bag... 90 percent of my locating involving TV, CATV, Power, can be accomplished carrying only a paint stick, transmitter, and receiver...Yeah I m not a walking locate text book.... I ve also never been fired for damages in 15 + yrs of locating...

Its about working smarter in my world of locating, that includes- consolidating the equipment and methods when available to get the locates done accurately, and in a timely manner...

Dont try an downplay my inventions and steal the spotlight...

See I need my the spotlights are so bright!!!

First, nobody was downplaying your idea. If anything I validated it as sound.

Second, I'm with you on efficiency in locating. The vast majority of locates I have two things in my hand getting out of the truck. A bag, and a paint stick. I have a light shoulder bag to throw in some extra paint on the mile+ walks. It works for me and it's simple.

Last, the number of people whining about the so-called "heavy" RD 4k makes me wonder about the number of wusses out there locating. My bag held my transmitter, ground rod, reciever, camera and batteries, extra can of paint for each color (I HATE going back to the truck), and various tools I may have needed (with the exception of my can wrench, a standard screwdriver, SNI tool, voltage tester, pliers and knife that were in a hip pouch on my side).

Thats about 20-30 lbs...40 lbs max. If you can't grab that and carry it one-armed into a backyard without straining or getting tired, you REALLY need to consider a gym membership. I'm just sayin'...
    Last edited by RD_Wrangler; May 30th, 2009 at 12:30 AM.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast