Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hands cant take it!

Years of Experience

Default My hands cant take it!

Can any body give me the name of a decent paint stick that has a rounded over handle and decent trigger. My hands are killing me I have been working yahoo type hours after all winter lay off. I use rustoleum industrial paint. I have seen a krylon stick but I dont know if it sprays my cans.

Years of Experience

Default Re: My hands cant take it!

I love this paint stick. The trigger doesn't rip your trigger finger to shreds. I had to modify it a bit because the Krylon tips are a bit different.

http://www.bapequipment.com/cat_247.html

From what I've found, Krylon paint sticks are the most durable, but the older ones don't have a rounded handle.

Rustoleum paint sticks suck, hands down. I've been through about 6 of them in the last 1 1/2 years. They lock up, break, and generally just piss you off...however, they have rounded handles.

The triggers of most sticks come with a rubber "boot" which helps if you're spraying a lot, if it pops off and you lose it just find some soft-ish foam and stick the trigger into the middle...voila! padded trigger!

I've also seen some guys take pipe insulator (for plumbing) that you can usually find scraps of on jobsites, and put that over the handle of their sticks, but I tried that and it made it too bulky for my comfort.

Maybe an ace bandage wrapped and taped around the handle could provide some cushioning? Maybe a gel bicycle handlebar grip? I dunno...

Years of Experience

What about wrapping the handle with the tape used for bicycle handles or tennis racquets. That should be pretty comfortable.

As far as if you loose that little rubber "boot" over the trigger itself just use shrink tubing sold in the electrical department. You can but multiple layers on to make it a little thicker so it doesn't kill your finger.

Hockey tape in an X pattern around the handle and GLOVES, so your trigger finger doesn't blister up.

Ive worn a callus on my trigger finger so it no longer bothers me anymore. Dont recall the last time I had any padding on the trigger.

Years of Experience

locator5000 do you know if the krylon stick will spray rustolem. I had a old easymark that i modified but it was too inconsistent

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    locator5000 do you know if the krylon stick will spray rustolem. I had a old easymark that i modified but it was too inconsistent
    yep, I've used rustoleum and krylon in my krylon stick...if you get the problem with it "sticking" just take some pliers and gently bend the hook that makes contact with the nozzle and it should free up.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator5000 View Post
    yep, I've used rustoleum and krylon in my krylon stick...if you get the problem with it "sticking" just take some pliers and gently bend the hook that makes contact with the nozzle and it should free up.
    I find the sticking comes from the build up of dried paint on the shaft of the hook that presses down on the nozzle.

With the paint can removed pull the trigger extending the hook shaft. Take a slim knife blade and scrape the shaft clean. Also clean out the hole the shaft slides out of.

Your shaft will not slide in and out of the hole properly if it is clogged up with dried paint.

Wait a minute, did I just say something dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Your shaft will not slide in and out of the hole properly if it is clogged up with dried paint. Wait a minute, did I just say something dirty?
    All in a day's work!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

krylon just put out a new paint stick that has a rounded handle that is hand-friendly ......you'll like it compared to the older ones
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Here's one that looks a little different and says it works with both rustoleum and krylon. I might have to order one and see how it is. I had never even heard of this company.

First thing I do with a new stick is rip (or throw) that wheel right away. Just gets in the way and is a pain in the ass.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    First thing I do with a new stick is rip (or throw) that wheel right away..
    I never use the wheel but I do cut the wheel off the little clip/plug thing that goes into the paint stick. This seems to keep all the dirt out for all of us that use the paint stick as a crutch and keeps it working better longer.

Aervoe makes a wand with a fairly comfortable handle too. Curved and pistol grip. Had one for years, but when it finally bit the dust, I couldn't bring myself to buy one when I could get the Krylon sticks for free. The trigger is a little larger and easier on the finger. I really like the look of the one that Goldenboy posted too.

http://www.aervoe.com/paints_coating...ing-Stick.html
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast