Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: Multiple Transmitters on a locate

Years of Experience

Default Multiple Transmitters on a locate

Hello, just wondering if any other locators run multiple transmitters while locating. I use a vivax metrotech transmitter and reciever (5watt) and a subsite transmitter for my second. On easy locates I just grab the subsite because its light and has a nice handle on it. Also have a rigged low power transmitter for drops. Comes in handy as we mark a lot of electric, gas, and phone as well as fiber. Saves a lot of trips around the fence when you can hook on to 3 service lines at once. Also helps for main lines when they run parallel to each other in the ditch. On long stretches I use the vivax and subsite transmitters, using frequency combos of 512hz and 1.45khz, 512 and 8.19 (8.01), 8.01 and 9.5, etc.... very helpful in the boonies marking out old phone lines.
    Works pretty well for me, I mark one line on the way up the ditch photoing as I go, then mark the other on the walk back. I always coordinate with other locators on site so I don't use the same frequency or one that will bleed off on them. I don't run 2 at a time if one line doesn't locate well unless I am sure. I also verify lines one at a time on 512 out of phone peds before lighting up 2. Anyone else use this approach and how has it worked for you?

Happy locating!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Multiple Transmitters on a locate

always ........locate the slowest way possible .
    phoenix827 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Never had an employer who could afford to outfit me with two transmitters. But have worked with second locator on same ticket using two transmitters set to different frequencies.

Some receivers do not work accurately side by side, kept a distance between myself and other locator.

Years of Experience

Works pretty well with the vivax and RD equipment. I do an area with lots of distant hookups/separate trenches/yucky stuff, etc... so I talked my two previous bosses into an additional subsite that was just laying around. A lot of times I only use one but it does help when locating cluster central to have two. In some cases yes it is faster to use one but in others with the distant hookups, long distances to mark, etc.. two works faster. And I'm not all that fast to begin with, so its like a rocket pack on a turtle lol

Years of Experience

last fall I was running two subsite transmitters. A lot of the country side I locate will usually have a main phoneline, feeder fiber for the old dsl and new fiber network, and the new fiber mainline that feeds the homes. needless to say it saves time on road projects and such. makes it easy that the fiber ped and phone peds are usually right next to eachother. This year I started using a rycom which I like a lot more so now ive got just one subsite transmitter for backup. Have the next two months off after I broke my femur so idk if I would have went for the second subsite again.We have a lot of extra rycoms and subsites to play with

Years of Experience

tried this a couple times with other people, the RD's seem to get confused real easy tho

Years of Experience

I use two transmitters with a RD8000 receiver. I set one transmitter using F8 in combo with the second transmitter using F33. One can out with F8 and one can back with F33. Works for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------