Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Moving on-with innovations...

  1. #1
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Moving on-with innovations...

    I had a revelation of sorts today- another in the many of an uncluttered minds ascending the average pettiness and mundaness of most others...

    But we all already recognize those with gifted preminitions- Eisntein, Davinci, wiley coyote, the pink panther etc...

    Okay for those that take this to reality dont forget the one who thought of it first...

    Okay everyone realizes we have entered the snow season, and for those of you tolerant of the rituals of eliminating it I have thought of a new snow removal innovation adaptation...

    Most homes have dryer exhaust vents... So what say we place a high volume exhaust fan mechanism on the exterior of a homes dryer exhaust vent and a flex hose such as leaf blowers utilize onto that exhaust unit??? 100 to 200 ft but thats relative of course on the end of this said adapter... Now we crank the dryer which yes costs $$$ but so do cadillacs but people still pay to drive em... So you now have a new effective backsaving device for random outdoor UNABRASIVE snow removal depending on need of application ie autos for 1 or just general use...

    Desk in the high rise yet for innovating technician???

    Not yet???

    I think Golden would run with it if it has any legs... He s the bike engineer as I recall and lives up there in snow hell anyway... NO PLEASE DONT SEND THE ELECTRIC BILL!!!...


    Last edited by USIC1; December 19th, 2009 at 08:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,305
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I had a revelation of sorts today- another in the many of an uncluttered minds ascending the average pettiness and mundaness of most others...

    But we all already recognize those with gifted preminitions- Eisntein, Davinci, wiley coyote, the pink panther etc...

    Okay for those that take this to reality dont forget the one who thought of it first...

    Okay everyone realizes we have entered the snow season, and for those of you tolerant of the rituals of eliminating it I have thought of a new snow removal innovation adaptation...

    Most homes have dryer exhaust vents... So what say we place a high volume exhaust fan mechanism on the exterior of a homes dryer exhaust vent and a flex hose such as leaf blowers utilize onto that exhaust unit??? 100 to 200 ft but thats relative of course on the end of this said adapter... Now we crank the dryer which yes costs $$$ but so do cadillacs but people still pay to drive em... So you now have a new effective backsaving device for random outdoor UNABRASIVE snow removal depending on need of application ie autos for 1 or just general use...

    Desk in the high rise yet for innovating technician???

    Not yet???

    I think Golden would run with it if it has any legs... He s the bike engineer as I recall and lives up there in snow hell anyway... NO PLEASE DONT SEND THE ELECTRIC BILL!!!...


    I had also thought of that dryer vent, but not to clear snow.

    Large, tall smoke stacks reach high so that their waste will vent where winds will carry it away to be dispersed. For the waste gas and particulates to rise up that stack they have to be hot enough to rise that high.So the heat is needed for the stack to work.

    A dryer vent is not operated by convention but by the hot, wet air being mechanically blown out the vent. For it to operate you do not need the heat in the air. Still the air has to be hot enough that the water vapor does not condense in the duct.

    My thought was to connect the outgoing vent pipe to a heat exchanger to scavenge heat and return it to the house during the cold months. Most of the exchanger would be passive but still a fan and relay would be needed to blow the warm are back into the house.

    A dryer draws it's intake air from within the house itself and then blows the air you paid to heat or chill outside the house. To make matters worse this causes the air pressure inside the house to lower and outside air, hot humid summer air and cold winter air, is drawn into the house working against your climate control.

    Ideally your dryer would have it's intake piped in outside air so that none of the house air would be pumped out of the house. There is the problem of the dryer heating element not being powerful enough to heat up cold winter air, depends on the weather and your individual dryer.

    There is also the problem of the preheated summertime air being too humid.

    An ideal system would have a heat exchanger system where you could select between and outside and inside air source for the dryer intake.
    Also the better you are capable of handling condensation inside the exchanger the more heat you can scavenge off during the winter.

  3. #3
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    I kind of liked that thought of recycling the hot air leaving the chimney of the house, and recirculating it back into the house or even for the use I was intending of snow removal alternative...hhhmm???

    Of course like at the parents they have an insert with those blower fans which captures quite a bit of heat... See there is another possibility- somehow exchanging fireplace/stove hot air to the dryer...

    I sure miss those days of the cast iron stove at the parents house... I used to get that sucker red hot and played blacksmith in the basement in the teen years with assorted poker rods and pieces of steel...

    Last edited by USIC1; December 20th, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member FiosKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Way North
    Posts
    254
    Years of Experience
    100
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    i have a heated driveway... never any snow in my driveway and walkway ... is this what you mean?
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    815
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    40

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    for free standing and inbuilt wood or pellet burning stoves do have extractors and a blower that capture the heat coming off the stove. Also there are recaptures that can be installed in 3 sectioned chimneys sections and recalculate it back into the room. With the now more energy efficient models do not need vertical chimneys and use pvc so I do not think they get as hot. I am envious of your heated driveway, I have seen them but never did check into their cost

  6. #6
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,305
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    for free standing and inbuilt wood or pellet burning stoves do have extractors and a blower that capture the heat coming off the stove. Also there are recaptures that can be installed in 3 sectioned chimneys sections and recalculate it back into the room. With the now more energy efficient models do not need vertical chimneys and use pvc so I do not think they get as hot. I am envious of your heated driveway, I have seen them but never did check into their cost
    Heated driveway! Bah! A heated toilet seat, now that is luxury to be envious of.

  7. #7
    Senior Member FiosKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Way North
    Posts
    254
    Years of Experience
    100
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Heated driveway! Bah! A heated toilet seat, now that is luxury to be envious of.

    BRILLIANT! i dont think i would move all day tho lol
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

  8. #8
    Senior Member FiosKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Way North
    Posts
    254
    Years of Experience
    100
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    for free standing and inbuilt wood or pellet burning stoves do have extractors and a blower that capture the heat coming off the stove. Also there are recaptures that can be installed in 3 sectioned chimneys sections and recalculate it back into the room. With the now more energy efficient models do not need vertical chimneys and use pvc so I do not think they get as hot. I am envious of your heated driveway, I have seen them but never did check into their cost
    pretty expensive... only need it in winter months of course.. if you have a big driveway and a big garage you will need 2 furnaces (we have 2)
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dave72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    353
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Moving on-with innovations...

    The problem with capturing heat in a vent stack from a normal (non condensing) boiler/furnace is .. by cooling the gases you drop the dew point for the acids in the gases and they deposit. In a while, your contraption and the flue pipe will rot out. Some nice stainless would buy time (but $$).
    Condensing units run at a lower flue temperature, so there's not as much heat to extract.

    Heated drive would be a novelty.. I wouldnt do it here (75ft long to the garage door), but a short sloped drive in the city would be a good candidate. I do like heated floors tho !!
    (May you live in interesting times)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •