Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cheddar
  • 1 Post By USIC1

Thread: lead extension wires

Default lead extension wires

Today on a locate I ran into one of the locators for the local gas company, he had something I had never seen before. It was a wire spool that had a reel on it. He had this attached to his ground wire and ran it across the street to the ground on a power pole. Have anyone ever seen this, I've been looking for an extension wire for those times where the interfaces are in the garages or those darn shopping centers where the closest grass is 50-100' away and just don't know what kind to get thought this would be nifty.

Default Re: lead extension wires

Quote Originally Posted by Coughcough View Post
    Today on a locate I ran into one of the locators for the local gas company, he had something I had never seen before. It was a wire spool that had a reel on it. He had this attached to his ground wire and ran it across the street to the ground on a power pole. Have anyone ever seen this, I've been looking for an extension wire for those times where the interfaces are in the garages or those darn shopping centers where the closest grass is 50-100' away and just don't know what kind to get thought this would be nifty.
    our rd 7k's came with the spools. i have yet to use it. i usually use a spare copper tracer wire and jumper it to my lead from a ground rod and or anchor. vise grips work excellent when jumpering to anchors, another ground rod,lead or electric ground when needed. things i use daily when locating what i locate: 2 3 foot solid copper ground rods 2 pairs of vice grips various spring clamps plastic and metal ones 20 feet of spare solid tracer wire pliers utility razor blade hammer/mallet

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    our rd 7k's came with the spools. i have yet to use it. i usually use a spare copper tracer wire and jumper it to my lead from a ground rod and or anchor. vise grips work excellent when jumpering to anchors, another ground rod,lead or electric ground when needed. things i use daily when locating what i locate: 2 3 foot solid copper ground rods 2 pairs of vice grips various spring clamps plastic and metal ones 20 feet of spare solid tracer wire pliers utility razor blade hammer/mallet
    Wow does it really take all that?Just buy a transmitter thats right for the job.Get something like the Ridgid st510 transmitter,it has 48 foot leads extended.

Years of Experience

Or go to the hardware store, get a 50'coil of wire and put a couple of alligator clips on the eggs
    phoenix827 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Wow does it really take all that?Just buy a transmitter thats right for the job.Get something like the Ridgid st510 transmitter,it has 48 foot leads extended.
    it does when you locate die electric and when nothing is grounded there are no stations no markers or proper prints etc

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    it does when you locate die electric and when nothing is grounded there are no stations no markers or proper prints etc
    Cough is talking about his transmitter leads not being long enough to reach grass areas that are 50 feet or more away.

STILL that is why i carry spare ground rods clamps vice grips and spare tracer wire

Years of Experience

Just go to the local store and get a spool of speaker wire and put a couple or clips on either end. I have one with me for finding a grounding point.

Years of Experience
    na

If it gets to that point its just time to "drop the box"
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    too many

Or see if there is a peice of metal on the building that you can use as a ground....

Sounds to me like he was using an electricians reel of "fish tape". Pretty common and standard equipment in certain areas of locating. I have a 50' reel of it..somewhere... Need to find it and pitch it into the truck. I need more crap rattling and sliding around when I'm rolling down the road.

It wasn't a fish tape, I talked to him about it it was a 300' spool that a local supply house sells. About 200 bucks for on. I have just been doing what everyone has been saying to do hook up to a door frame. However I am still confused how this does not bleed over onto power as I would think the frame would be grounded to the common ground being attached to the building, but I haven't had it do it yet

Having extension wire is a virtual requirement for locating. Hell I have extension wires directly hooked to magnets that I pack with me for situational grounding or hooking to pipes in the bottom of manholes (work smarter not harder)

Years of Experience

Be careful where you ground those fancy leads to.

Years of Experience

I saw this at a locate class recently. so I went out and bought 500' of 14 gauge electrical wire with insulated copper $35, bought an extension cord spool from the hardware store $10, and threw clips on either end of the wire $3. as a private loc, I sometimes have to run wire out of basements in industrial facilities, up cold air intakes, through hallways, etc to ground out. or use it to close a loop between two hydrants or valves on a water line. you only need to reel out as much wire as you need so having both ends clipped is helpful.