Thread: Laptop hinges-any suggestions???

Years of Experience
    na

Default Laptop hinges-any suggestions???

These frikin laptop hinges need industrialized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this opening and closing crap compromises these hinges...

The damn laptops are not manufactured for commercial use...

SOMEONE PLEEEEAAASEEE!!! consider distributing a more rugged version of laptop for daily blue collar use...

It is nt like we can screw in secondary hinges, the issue needs some definite tweaking...

Its frikin ridiculous the need is so prevalent and there is no improvement...
    Last edited by USIC1; August 30th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

Default Re: Laptop hinges-any suggestions???

I wonder if someone could take like a brief case... Downsize it to variable laptop sizes, except make it out of a water resistant canvas (like chair or tent material) and a metal internal structure with secondary hinges so you could secure the lap top cover to this accessory at the top and bottom and utilitize a more structural sound hinge system...

Okay I want a hot blond, on the 120th floor of the sears tower every other Weds... and the ferrari pacino had in scent of a woman and...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

There is an easy solution to the problem. After the problem occurs you are SOL. But, before the problem occurs you will find this works.

Always open the laptop by lifting the screen in the very middle. Never open the screen by lifting at the corners. Opening by the corners twists the screen and causes an uneven force on the hinges.

"Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

i have one word for you...........TOUGHBOOK!!!! it has been a great laptop for us in the field......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

never close the laptop with papers in it.... also dont drive with it open... iv'e never had a problem....

Years of Experience

Mine is always open, but I learned after I had one break. I screwed a chunk of wood to the back of the stand to brace the screen with a clip to grab the top, no problems since!
    Also, if your stands have the wires over the keyboard, THAT is what breaks the hinges. Don't close the screen on the wires.

Years of Experience

stop driving with your laptop open

Years of Experience

hey Tbone where you been dude???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The Panasonic toughbook suggestion is good.

There is a class of laptops called Rugged , the Panasonic Toughbook is in this class, made by several companies but they cost two to three times that of the office class laptops the companies buy.

I have to say the rugged class are a good choice because in addition to a tougher case they have greater insulation for shock and vibration. Vibration is a big factor in a field truck. Plus they are better sealed for water / humidity and dust. The overall result is a lower failure rate which equals more locates getting done and a smaller inventory of replacement laptops.

There is another class of laptops called Semi Rugged which cost less and look like they will do as well. It would be well worth it to any company thinking of switching to Rugged class to try out the Semi Rugged. For tha matter if the inventory is of Rugged class try some Semi Rugged to see if future cdosts cna be reduced.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    stop driving with your laptop open
    That may reduce wear but if the lap top is closed then it must be opened and closed at each stop. Looking at the top one has to open each time also puts more stress on the hinges than they were designed to take. For a busy locator this is 50 or 60 openings and closings a day.

Closing the laptop reduces the stress of vibration and weight on the hinges but then we often have to open the thing to look at the address. Some companies have the address on the screen written onto a manifest sheet, this works. We can read the paper to remind us where we are going. sometimes I forget the house number or if it was Street or Court. But some companies are paperless and keeping the lid open to see the screen keeps the jobs getting done faster.

Whatever we do those laptops were meant to be carried in a case and used on a desk top in a controlled environment. They are subject to lots of road and engine vibration, humidity and dust. In the summer every time the truck is restarted and the AC comes back on the thing cools down and the humidity inside the laptop condenses into water. These non rugged laptops are not sealed enough for the environment we use them in.

Using office laptops in the field would be like using a Cadillac in place of the truck. Not built for that type of wear it soon starts falling apart.

Years of Experience

I have a few guys that have bought velcro and will secure the open lid to the dash. This will prevent wobbling from potholes and rough roads. Although most companies are going to insist that the lid stays closed while driving.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by noOT4me View Post
    I have a few guys that have bought velcro and will secure the open lid to the dash. This will prevent wobbling from potholes and rough roads. Although most companies are going to insist that the lid stays closed while driving.
    I cannot say this is a bad order, the idea is that if you are looking at the sreen while driving you run the risk of an accident.

I never drive and read the screen at the same time. Still I will pull over and reread the address becasue the details slip my mind. Also to read the comments and look around to determine if I am at the right spot for say a construction site. If not I have to pull out and drive a bit more. I find the screen open makes things easier and faster, and we all know we are pushed to be productive. But still never try to read the screen while the truck is moving.

Years of Experience
    na

And on another thought about laptop lid repetitive use- are they really engineered for opening and closing thousands of times a week in a NOT OFTEN GINGERLY MANNER by a hurried construction worker labor force???