Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mark
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Kansas utility adopts game-changing locating and marking technology

Years of Experience

Lightbulb Kansas utility adopts game-changing locating and marking technology

https://ucononline.com/2017/06/12/lo...ng-technology/

"3M Electronic Marking System (EMS) Rope is made with regularly spaced electronic markers woven into the center of the strand for continuous path marking. Unlike conventional tracer wire, this marking method does not require continuous continuity, and the marked path can be accurately distinguished from adjacent buried utilities.

“Traced using our Dynatel locators, the EMS rope can be dependably located even in the presence of metallic conductors, fences, AC power lines and the electronic markers of other utilities,” said Denise Elliott, 3M account manager."

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: Kansas utility adopts game-changing locating and marking technology

They need to find a way to make them go deeper 4-5 foot is just to shallow for me. I do put in ems balls and I mark on the as-built the ball is at 4 but the pipe is at whatever the true depth is but I know someday somebody is just going to assume it's at the marker depth.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Read the article. Seems this is limited to open trenching and not workable with directional drilling. The get around the 4' depth limitation by partiality back filling to within 4' of surface. dropping in the tape and back filling. This leaves them with the same problem tracer wire has when in trench with plastic pipe where the pipe is on one side of the trench and the tracer wire on the other.

The markers in the tape are 8' apart so you only get a signal every 8' and have to straight line between signals.

The technology as it exist toady is very limited in application. Also it means all locators must also be equipped with EMS finders in addition to regular locate equipment. While this is a good way to equip locate employees many locate firms, I have worked at some, will not spend the money and do not issue EMS finders.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

how long is the battery life in these ems markers?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    how long is the battery life in these ems markers?
    No battery needed. They reflect back the signal. As long as water does not get in they will always work.

Years of Experience

water always finds a way into everything .....????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    water always finds a way into everything .....????
    I have been able to find EMS markers 20+ years old.
    yahoo likes this.