Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How is your truck organized ?

Years of Experience

Default How is your truck organized ?

I could use some ideas on how to organize my truck bed 6 ft box, topper. I work a 6way area and need full manhole gear paint flags tools etc etc any tips or photos would be great

Years of Experience

Default Re: How is your truck organized ?

A stand up rack that fits in, so you can slide the mh gear underneath and still get paint, flags etc. I had everything except the mh gear to the passenger side that I used at least once a week, everything else was on the driver side or reached from the rear. I will diagram it out later, and post pics.

Two 4x4s toped with 3/4 plywood on the bottom covers your gate. Can put blower pump on top tward driver. On passenger side I have a piece of plywood angled at 45 degree with milkcrates screwed to it for paint cans it leaves an opening for shovels hotstick exc. Underneith. flags in 4 gallon square buckets at the rear next to my rd8000. Works great and I dont have to pull pump out everytime to use it just run hoses out side window of topper fire it up and go.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

This is what I am looking at when I start the spec's on my new truck this summer...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

As a supervisor I am constantly ferrying techs about whose vehicles have broken down and sometimes driving home the ones who are suspended, fired or quit.
    So setting up the cab of the truck as a mobile office is a waste of time and effort.

Also once a week I have to carry to the locators batteries, flags and 12 to 20 cases of paint depending on the season.

So the organizational style is by necessity Shake & Bake.

Years of Experience

it's best you don't see what mine looks like....it would be no help at all....LOL
    EricB likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That is an awesome setup.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I have GOT to get me one of those !!!!! that is real nice ....that did not come standard on my dodge caliber ?!?!?!?!?! LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The laptop mount works great. I was originally looking at the same survey bed package as the one shown, but was told, "no, its too flashy".

Whatever.

Can I suggest one thing? I wouldn't go with the Survey compartments on the pullout drawer. I would just leave it as a flat drawer, maybe with 4" or 6" sides to it. And verify that there is enough room for any rodders or camera reels to stand up on end. Other then that I think it will work perfectly.

The only reason I state that is those slots are designed for survey tripods, rods and stakes. For a locator, thats alot of wasted space.

mke

Years of Experience

Anybody have ideas for setting up a Kia Soul. Yeah I know it's got to be the worst choice for a locating tuck. Please don't laugh too hard. Embarrassing when I drive up to construction sites.

nba-cimg33.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  

Organized? Who has time to set that up?

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Kramit69 View Post
    Anybody have ideas for setting up a Kia Soul. Yeah I know it's got to be the worst choice for a locating tuck. Please don't laugh too hard. Embarrassing when I drive up to construction sites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nba-CIMG33.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	1173
    First thing I did was take off all the head rest off except for the driver's. Wrapped them up in grocery bags and stuffed them where the spare tire would be. Purchased one of those extra wide rear view mirrors to take away most of the blind spots. I paced a rectangular milk crate behind the passenger seat on the floor board and cut 4" pvc pipes and placed them inside of it. They hold almost a whole box of flags. With the head rest on I do not think the seats fold flat. Mine did not come with that cargo cover and not sure how sturdy it is. Without that cover it is not a flat surface all the way. I left the back seats up and put indoor/outdoor carpeting over them. Use the back seat for extra flags. A tote behind the driver's seat hold my extra clothes and stuff. Stack cases of paint in the back and place the equipment on top of it. I have the ground pounder on the floor across the back in the winter. My shovel tucked away angled along passenger door behind me. small cones sit in the back seat upside down.
    Last edited by paintitnow; March 27th, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Kramit69 likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you are a handy person you could fold the seats down and build some sort of plywood box with sections in it to keep your stuff separate and to keep it from shifting. Saw a guy do that with a Geo Metro and he could fit everything in the back that he needed.
    Kramit69 likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Yea, this weekend I'm going to empty it out completely and see if I can get creative. Need room for orange, red, yellow, and one mixed case of blue, green, white, and black paints. Then about 7 or 8 brands of flags. It's going to be tight.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    The laptop mount works great. I was originally looking at the same survey bed package as the one shown, but was told, "no, its too flashy".

Whatever.

Can I suggest one thing? I wouldn't go with the Survey compartments on the pullout drawer. I would just leave it as a flat drawer, maybe with 4" or 6" sides to it. And verify that there is enough room for any rodders or camera reels to stand up on end. Other then that I think it will work perfectly.

The only reason I state that is those slots are designed for survey tripods, rods and stakes. For a locator, thats alot of wasted space.

mke
    Yea, the company that produces that package said they will design and build whatever we want (I'm sure for $$$$). I have a feeling that my department might start dabbling in surveying in the next 5-10yrs. We need to get an actual GIS system in-place and now that the new Ditch Witch Utiliguard we bought offers an adaptor for GIS'ing your locate (how cool is that!!) it might push that timeline up a little faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast