Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you locate fiber optic(F/O) lines?

Years of Experience

Default How do you locate fiber optic(F/O) lines?

As we all know there are many ways to locate different utilities. When I first started locating on my own, I would run into situations where I needed a second, and sometimes a third and forth opinion, on how to run F/O lines. Depending on who responded first, the answers varied from the insane (cutting the plastic back to the sheeth) to the resonable (clamping or inducing). Knowing a fiber damage would put me out of a job if I were to cut the plastic back - and finding out there was no metal sheeth, thus damaging the cable this method is out of the question. The proper technique of clamping and inducing the F/O does not always work either. A friend of mine told me to try an old school thumb tack. The thumb tack will allow you to penetrate the plastic but not damage (in my experience) the fiber optics inside and provides a metal contact point.

Please note, if you are going to use this technique - do not force the thumb tack into the line. This will cause a damage. You should cautiously push the pin through the plastic until you feel it stop - you will feel this, and stop applying pressure. You realize the lack of pressence of the sheath in the cable if the pin contiues to pass thru easily. I do not recommend everyone try this, I know it has worked for me in the past. I will not be held responsible for any damages received using this message. Attempt at your own risk, this is a technique I have used and have been successful in the process. This is better than "skinning back the plastic" but can hae the same result. Proceed with cation!

Years of Experience

Default Re: How do you locate fiber optic(F/O) lines?

ummm...knowing how to read telecommunications codes to be able to tell if it is a sheathed fiber or not might be helpful before trying this technique...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

@ RD Wrangler, this is true. I need to put out the disclaimer for those who do not. Also, clamping and inducing do not always work, even on a cable with a sheath you must be careful not to push the pin thru and damage the cable.

Years of Experience

@ RD Wrangler, this is true. This is why I needed to put out the disclaimer for those who do not. Also, clamping and inducing do not always work, even on a cable with a sheath you must be careful not to push the pin thru and damage the cable

Its always handy also to have a little magnet with you at all times. If it sticks then you know you have a sheeth. I would NEVERRR push a thumb tack in . Thats just retarded, Also hooking up at a splice point works well for me!

Do ya'll think we should tell him about the 'Cheater Clip'?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ManholeFreak View Post
    Its always handy also to have a little magnet with you at all times. If it sticks then you know you have a sheeth. I would NEVERRR push a thumb tack in . Thats just retarded, Also hooking up at a splice point works well for me!
    You do realize that most ground sheathing is aluminum right? A magnet will not work for this.

Years of Experience

Most fiber optics have a code along the outside plastic sheath that let you know whether it is locatable or not. The problem is one company varies from another, i.e. comscope fibers have a different code than corning, and alltell have their own codes. Until codes are set into a mandatory nomenclature, you may find hundreds of different codes for the foc in question. I have found that when you go to a splice, you can actually open the splice itself, and see whether or not it has a sheath. In some instances, whether coming from, or going to a pole, there is no splice, unless you want to climb the pole to get to it. I find that a pushpin, the kind used for sewing actually work the best, because thumbtacks usually have a dull tip, and are bent at the top.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

a lot of phone companies have info on the print of what type of fiber. One phone put a tracer wire in with this type of fiber. Also the one that is not sheathed has a yellow stripe on it

Years of Experience

I have also found phone with no stripe that is nonlocatable. Also, the prints may show one nomenclature, but the actual cable is different. At this time I always get the phone company involved. CYA at it's best.

Years of Experience

not the best idea to use a thumb tact on fiber lol.... good way to damage it... most of the fiber should have a tracer copper on the side of it (verizon anyway)
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    not the best idea to use a thumb tact on fiber lol.... good way to damage it... most of the fiber should have a tracer copper on the side of it (verizon anyway)
    The verizon service drops have a small gauge copper tracer wire on them, their newer mains have no attached tracer wire or metallic sheath. It is fairly common for the contractor to have put these in with no tracer wire either in the ground or duct.

Years of Experience

this is true, we have that around here as well... we write a report and verizon or the telcom company has to come out before work starts to run a tracer
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    this is true, we have that around here as well... we write a report and verizon or the telcom company has to come out before work starts to run a tracer
    I push an electricians' fish-tape down the duct but can only go about 245'. But this does not leave a tracer in the duct for the next time so the tracer still needs be installed. Plus fish taping a duct really adds time to a locate.

They should be leaving a mule (pull) line in the duct.. the type with the tracer wire is good for that.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast