Thread: gpss rtk

Years of Experience

Default gpss rtk

Anybody using this system for marking large complexes, airports etc? I am going to work for a company that uses about 50/50 gpss and magnentic locating. I am the first to admit I don't know crap about gpss.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: gpss rtk

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Anybody using this system for marking large complexes, airports etc? I am going to work for a company that uses about 50/50 gpss and magnentic locating. I am the first to admit I don't know crap about gpss.
    Do you mean gnss? It's GPS with more satellites. We use the Trimble R8. And I just happen to work for a company that uses such equipment at large complexes and airports. What would you like to know?

Years of Experience

Yea sorry mke read too many initials last couple days. Is the utility location already loaded on to your ipad and you just pick which you want to mark storm sewer sanitary water etc and it displays its location? Is it easy to grasp the operation?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Yea sorry mke read too many initials last couple days. Is the utility location already loaded on to your ipad and you just pick which you want to mark storm sewer sanitary water etc and it displays its location? Is it easy to grasp the operation?
    No problem Boots. There are quite a few different setups for that system. The GNSS's main claim to fame is that you can bounce signals off the Ruskies satelites. The previous RTK's would get only 7-9 satelites. Now you can get upwards of 20. what this does is allows you get a GPS fix quicker and through more obsticales.

I'm not sure where about you are, but up here in the NW, most of the satelites are out of the southern hemisphere and you would typically get blocked by tree's, buildings, etc... The GNSS helps out and you can get signals in a lot more places.

As for being set up for "utility Location" what you are actually doing (if i'm understanding correctly) is staking out of utilities. If you are lucky, the utility maps are loaded onto your data collector. I'm not sure if the I-pad is capable of doing this, but Trimble does have a tablet that does double as a data collector. Once those maps are loaded, you just need to find the file associated with your location. You can either set it up as stake out, where you can pick a point along a known line and the data collector will tell you how far away you are. (500' east, etc...) as you walk towards it the number will continually go down and it will walk you right to it. Should even have a directional arrow. Or you can set it up to everything on the utility map is on it, so when you get out of the car and turn it on it will show you what is within the vicinity, and then you can just walk up and mark it.

If you want, PM me and i'll toss you my E-mail and we can chat about it in a little more detail.

mke

zen
    Years of Experience

I know this is different than what you are asking. our company maps utilities for DOT's, design firms, and utility companies.

If the project is not to surveyed in, we use the trimble geo7x geomapper. it is a gnss unit and very close to survey grade, we can Bluetooth it with an rd 8000 or use it with an external antennae and pick up the marks afterwards. I mostly use it independent of a locator that way I can pick up benchmarks or other utility surface features quicker. I can import the data file into autocad and create a drawing with it quick.

these units are not cheap either, ours were around 30 grand each.