Thread: An easy way to achieve ground

Default An easy way to achieve ground

Now that winter is fast approaching, we're often faced with trying to get the ground rod in the frozen earth.
    I found a simple solution - I carry a 25' spool of wire with a magnet attached. One end clips to my lead & the magnet attaches to an unpainted surface on my truck, i.e. a bolt or the frame.
    This works great on those cold, frozen mornings, or when trying to hook up to tracer wire in a parking lot.
    Hope this helps

Years of Experience

Default Re: An easy way to achieve ground

that sounds like a good idea????!!!! thanks dude!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

There's a whole bunch of us that are wishing we came up with that idea.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Have you tried this. It is wierd that the truck would act as a ground when it is sitting on 4 rubber wheels acting as insulators. I guess I wear boots and when I touch my red lead I make my own ground even with my boots.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Have you tried this. It is wierd that the truck would act as a ground when it is sitting on 4 rubber wheels acting as insulators. I guess I wear boots and when I touch my red lead I make my own ground even with my boots.
    We have had a few locators who had several mislocates trying this. It's like hooking to a stop box collar to run a h2o service: might work, might screw you over.

Years of Experience

Cool Re: An easy way to achieve ground

Quote Originally Posted by frank1927 View Post
    Now that winter is fast approaching, we're often faced with trying to get the ground rod in the frozen earth.
    I found a simple solution - I carry a 25' spool of wire with a magnet attached. One end clips to my lead & the magnet attaches to an unpainted surface on my truck, i.e. a bolt or the frame.
    This works great on those cold, frozen mornings, or when trying to hook up to tracer wire in a parking lot.
    Hope this helps
    Down here in fla, we do not have to deal with snow or frozen ground too much, but obtaining a good ground here is always a challange because of the sand or hard pan, and lack of moisture. one way we combate it down here is all the utilitys here must drive ground rods atleast 10 ft into the ground at the source so if you are near a power pole or an exposed phone or tv ped odds are they will have a ground rod already installed just unbond it and clamp the rod. as long as you unbond and run 8 mhz bleed off will be kept to a minumum. works down here real well...............
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

when i'm having problems getting a decent circuit or ground i either drop the ground lead down into the surface water drain this immediatly gives me a circuit, or creating a trough in the ground with ya boot, connect earth lead to ground pin , lay both in the trough pour water over both in trough , or if you are in need of piss urinate directly over your lead, this will melt any frozen ground and create a great circuit...............

ps make sure you alone retrieve the leads for obvious reasons
    hope this helps

Years of Experience

its funny, but on several occasions i have used a human ground rod. I have also noticed a better MA return to ground when the human ground rod holds onto a metal fence post or something similar nearby. Oh god, 2 many locates in my day so far...lol.

I use a magnet on bullards surrounding transformers at industrial buildings when everything is covered in concrete. However, just hooking onto the magnet doesn't work, a part of the lead has to be touching the bullard directly where I have scraped off the paint. I guess the signal doesn't travel thru the magnet ??
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

scrape the paint off then attach magnet the signal will travel through the magnet