Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CableAvoidanceTool
  • 1 Post By SubterraVT

Thread: DIY Transmitter Clamp

Years of Experience

Default DIY Transmitter Clamp

Hello, any guideline and DIY guide on how to make a transmitter clamp?

I would presume I need a compatible connector and some make shift clamp etc..

TIArd_-clamp_s-l500.jpg

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: DIY Transmitter Clamp

If you have a working pair of direct connect clips:

Just take a small piece of metal and tie it around whatever you would clamp on. Direct connect to the metal circle, and ground it. Works well enough for things that can't be truely direct connected too (like plastic conduits).

The signal won't be as good as a true clamp, but sometimes it's all you can do.

Clips are usually only about $50 so not that bad. Clamps themselves are usually $300 or more, so it works.
    Newbie likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: DIY Transmitter Clamp

I have about 10' of thin gauge copper in my truck that I have had to wrap around large steam pipes. Wrap it tight around the target line several times and put a lead on either open end to create a circuit and couple your signal. I haven't had much success with this, but I haven't tried it very much. I also took a length of extension cord and put gator clips on each end. Not sure how well it would couple onto a target line with all of the insulation, but then again, the ring clamp from the locate set is insulated.

I would also suggest taking a hose clamp, opening it up around your target line and then closing it back up around. Take your red lead and clip onto the nut of the hose clamp and ground the other end into the earth.

I have also heard of using magnets to attach to pipes and then clipping to the magnet, but haven't really gotten this method to work for me yet.

The biggest thing to take away is try all kinds of different things until you get something to work. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how you tone out lines, the guy with the most creativity and resourcefulness wins! Best of luck newbie, great question, keep rockin'!
    Last edited by SubterraVT; August 24th, 2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Newbie likes this.