Thread: DIY Retractable lead and lengthened/strengthened clamp cord.

Years of Experience

Default DIY Retractable lead and lengthened/strengthened clamp cord.

Well, after a dog tore some of my equipment into pieces, I decided that rather than just repair them, I would try my hand at improving them.

Ideally, I would have liked to have both leads be retractable... but due to the fact that I was using what I have around the house it would have been hard, and since I work out of a bag, it was unnecessary.

I just hated my leads always getting tangled up, and this solution takes care of that just the same.

I shortened the ground lead so that It won't get tangled up while attached to the ground rod and placed in the bag... and only worried about making my hot lead retractable. I also extended it to about 20 feet.

To do this, I used a standard retractable leash that you can get at petsmart for around 15 bucks.

Originally, the plan was to have the plug sticking out of the side of the leash, and both leads coming out of the reel. Due to twisting issues, that really wasn't plausible... So I extended My red lead and attached the reel in the middle. Now, to make this work I had to drill a hole in the plastic reel inside the leash to stick the lead wire through, and I had to enlarge the exit hole that was used for the leash... It was too small for the doubled up lead to fit through. Hopefully the pictures will help explain.

Usability is a breeze. I just grab ahold of the clip and pull, and it extends super easy. And when I need to put it away, I can just disconnect the clamp and let 'er go, and she reels up with no problems at all.

And as far as the clamp goes, I just cut the cord off an old Oreck vacuum I had laying around and soldered it in place of the existing one. Actually, You only need to solder at the plug, as the clamp end is held together by a splice block with two flathead setscrews.

The Cord I used was thicker than the original, so I had to modify all the fittings to make it work. But now I have a snazzy red cord that's maybe 5 feet longer than the original.

Everything is tested and working.

Years of Experience

Default Re: DIY Retractable lead and lengthened/strengthened clamp cord.

This isn't a terrible idea; However seeing the leads connected to the ground on the pole made me cringe a bit!

Years of Experience

Oh hell yeah... There are no drops on that pole, though. I live in an old neighborhood and it's all aerial. I just needed something to clamp to, lol.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    Oh hell yeah... There are no drops on that pole, though. I live in an old neighborhood and it's all aerial. I just needed something to clamp to, lol.
    well, not too concerned about how, or why the the hookup is there, but the stress on the leads etc that type of thing puts on it

Years of Experience

Right. I actually soldered the wire at the clip rather than only using the nut and bolt that were originally installed, so I'm not worried too much about stress there. As far as stress at the plug, If I have any problems it's easy enough just to ziptie the lead to the bag before the plug so that all of the force is on the ziptie.

Years of Experience
    30+

I like it. RD4000 leads have always broke at the plug to the tx. I have an extra pair I always have with me.

great idea may have a go at that my self
    i got a twin wire retractable clothes line bolted to my house, should in theory be good enough for both wires
    not sure my wife will understand lol