Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital video of finished locate

Default digital video of finished locate

This is a thought that just came to me after an atfault damage pinned on me because there was not a clear enough photo of the damaged utility. The story goes: I got a job at a property that I have been to multiple times threwout the new construction I have located for everything from clearing the trees to installing the bdlg name sign. Needless to say I could locate this property in my sleep I hooked and marked everything as I would on any property after I walked the 128ft locate taking 25 photos of this space back and forth but along the photo taking I did not turn and take a dirct photo of the damaged utility dumbest thing I could have done because these contractors are cowbiys now because of that I caused my company to have to pay for this nit to mention tarnishin g my good locator status my thought is to be able to video the entire locate so abosolutly no mark goes uncaptured wouldnt the cost to upgrade to video rater than paying for stupid damages pay for itself?? I personaly think this would be a great investment on the companys part. What are your thoughts on this? Am I wrong?

Default Re: digital video of finished locate

Alot of companies do that, is much easier for the locator too, but that may be why they don't do it.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

When it comes down to it, Video can be just as inconclusive as anything else.

What should happen is the similar to the runner rule in baseball. If the tag is applied the same time the runner tags the base, the tie goes to the runner. In locating, if there is inconclusive evidence, the tie should go to the locator. When it comes down to it the excavator is the one distrubing the environment and should go cautiously.

The only thing I can see to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt is to survey the marks. I know that this isn't cost effective, so it will never happen, but it would prove that the line was painted. (This is of course if the surveyor follows the paint).

Mke

I see your point but with this junk camera it takes so long between shots it was easily missed I know I should of made sure ill take the blame on that chalk it up to stupidity I just know in this case had there been video vs pics I would have been cleared of any damages idk it just pisses me off when I know the job was done right the utility owner knew it was done right along with my sup and I cannot prove it it just gets me the same day same contractor did.a job I had marked with 4 fibers 2 gasmains 18 direct burried 900pr plus phone lines 4 3 phase elec primarys mareked flawlessly with minimal aboveground markers showing what was there nothing hit but a single gas service with flags and paint and a big ol meter in direct veiw and they hit it. Idk I will just have to see it as a lesson lea rned and something that just cannot be overlooked again I hope my sup enjoys the next investigation he does of mine because there will be well over 100 pics of the 125 ft locate rather than 25

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

A camera or video still leave open the possibility of not taking a good enough. Like a computer it all hinges on the quality of the input of the operator. I have been on both sides of the spectrum. good pics got me out of a damage and poor pics cost me one. you can go from 25 pics on that locate to 50 and still be in the same boat. With your camera taking so long between pics could be a setting problem. might have it on the best quality of picture where as a normal quality would be god enough. The pixel setting could be to high. you could have the size of the pic set to big.

That may be I will look when im back to work it shouldnt bother me this bad but it it the reprocutions that are getting me with the write up n probation I thought I was a good locator a 20+ ticket a day 3 damages when I started damage free almost 200 days now this idk I just eats at me

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Years ago, Premier had a damage in Glens Falls, New York where the locator supposedly correctly marked a gas main heading near an interstate 87 exit but his video tape sucked. The client was willing to write it up as contractor error but as far as I know the excavator was going into court to fight the damage, and the video was so bad, that Premier will likely lose.

This gas damage actually shut the interstate down for a few hours. Not sure on the cost of it but, damn.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience
    retired

The proof, pictures or video, depends on the quality of the camera and the time the locator actually spends doing it. Oh, and, hurry up too. You're taking too long - per your management.

Actually, if video were ever used instead of pix, they might as well use the ones that attach to a helmet, there is such a thing now. Just be careful when you're scratching your nether regions! Imagine the blooper vids!

BTW unrelated note please try to use punctuation it really gets annoying when you dont and theres like 18 runon sentences drives me nuts figuring out when to imagine the pause so that I know its a separate thought.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

godihateitwhenpeopledothattooespeicallywhentheyfor gettoputspacesbetweenwordsdrivesmecrazy.
    sorrycouldntresist
    peacenlove

what about a simple drawing showing distance from service to say kurb or wall etc i do this on occasion

Quote Originally Posted by spencer newson View Post
    godihateitwhenpeopledothattooespeicallywhentheyfor gettoputspacesbetweenwordsdrivesmecrazy.
    sorrycouldntresist
    peacenlove
    Nice.

I worked with Premier. Our policy is to videotape all locates where we put down marks. We're supposed to do it from multiple angles, and narrate it, getting as many landmarks as we possibly can, with measurements. It's in our contract that if we don't have pre/post-damage video, we get billed for damages, even if the markings are still there and show we were accurate.

The reality of the situation is simple. You have no friends in Locating. Aside from protecting the contractors and the utilities they dig around, we protect ourselves. You cannot take too much video or photographs of any given locate. This is a game even though all parties involved are trying to cover their own rear ends. I had to learn this the hard way. If there is even the slightest amount of doubt at a locate, make sure you cover yourself (and the diggers of course). YOU are your best friend. Sorry you got blamed but someone has to take the fall and even if all seems OK with the locate, you can still burn. We are the lowest on the totem pole. Good Luck.

Years of Experience

no matter what.........if said utility company that we work for.... says we are at fault for a damage..it doesn't matter WHAT type of evidence you have ..we will still pay for the damage !! I hate it , but that is a fact .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Couldn't have said it better Yahoo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast