Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automated Dispatch

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Default Re: Automated dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    They couldn't even get things together when it was person to person calling, and now they're gonna try this automated crap? What a waste!!

You gotta remember brah, the dumba$$es that run these companies spend more money trying to save money instead of leaving things they way they are. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT...they waste more of their precious "profits" trying to fix things that aren't broken.

I never mind my dispatcher calling me with a question. It gives me someone to talk to other than a stupid contractor thats pissed cuz the tickets I lovated for him 3 weeks are now have no marks, or my supervisor sputing his usual "production" crap over the phone.....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Interesting comments on the auto dispatch, I agree with you all! Here in east Pa we never knew it was coming! I picked up the phone one day and it was that crazy robot! Called manager to be updated and as usual no response so I'm glad some here have posted about it. Guess this is just part of trying to save a sinking ship!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    You gotta remember brah, the dumba$$es that run these companies spend more money trying to save money instead of leaving things they way they are. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT...they waste more of their precious "profits" trying to fix things that aren't broken.
    Plus, this way when they're done streamlining everything and they go to sell the company they can use this as a "wow factor", sorta like "Oh, and by the way, we use an automated dispatch system......"
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Rather than send our beloved dispatchers to the unemployment line, it would seem several tiers of upper management could be eliminated. Perhaps the money that's freed up could then be used to buy new locating equipment, a few 4WD trucks, and other items essential to producing the revenue that keeps this company afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Rather than send our beloved dispatchers to the unemployment line, it would seem several tiers of upper management could be eliminated. Perhaps the money that's freed up could then be used to buy new locating equipment, a few 4WD trucks, and other items essential to producing the revenue that keeps this company afloat.
    Its a shame someone you speak with everyday gets replaced by a robot. not cool

Yep, its a jewel thats for sure. If you havent experienced it in your area yet then enjoy for now..lol. Of what we know for sure with this "Lets spend a $1000 to save a $100" program is that it hasnt eliminated any dispatcher jobs as of yet. If you are on "after hours" call out, you will still get your emergencies via dispatch. The automated system is currently being trialed with normal business hours emergencies only. If you can understand what "Suzy-PC" is saying then you can accept or decline it depending on wether or not it is even in your area. If you accept it then it automatically goes into your stack and you just do a refresh and pick it up. If you decline it then a automated message goes to your (already overworked ) supervisor and he has to decide what to do with the ticket. This is also true or second notices and call backs as well. If you are like myself and dont like to be bothered while on a difficult locate and leave your phone in the truck..if you miss the automated call it will continue to call you like every 5 minutes until you answer. If you dont answer after several attempts then it automatically contacts supervsor with notice. There are also options on the message that allows you to listen to where the address is in the event you question wether its yours or not.

The automated message is "scratchy and choppy" so you may have to lidten to it a few times. If the emergency is not yours then it is still a good idea to contact your sup. or dispatch to inform them of where that ticket needs to go. So in short, he havent saved anything as of yet...we just added more to the pot.

Also, am I the only one that finds it ironic that this topic was started here instead of in Innovations and Improvements?...lol

Quote Originally Posted by damageratio View Post
    Also, am I the only one that finds it ironic that this topic was started here instead of in Innovations and Improvements?...lol
    I could have sworn this topic was in Locators Lounge this morning..it was early though..disregaurd this post..lol

Default Re: Automated Dispatch

A new feature has been added to Mobile Dispatch for the automated dispatch. Basically the way it works is you can refresh you ticket load to receive the emergency or whatever and then select the ticket and press F3. This will tell the system that you have accepted the ticket and prevent the phone call...thats if you did this in enough time for the system to recognize it. If not then you will get a call and you can either answer the call or just ignore it...I've just been ignoring it and it hasnt called me back on any occasion where Ive done it this way. Even if you get the call first and dont asnwer it as long as you refresh your ticket load and press F3 to accept the ticket the calls will stop.

what I like is when you answer the phone it dont like how you said hello-hello and keeps hanging up and calling back
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Sounds like you guys are dealing with an automated voice mail type of system. So far no computer has beaten the need for human control in fileds like ours.

I have worked with a couple of types of automated dispatch to a laptop computer.

Where new tickets for your regular area automatically come to your laptop is great. Very often a new ticket from another contractor comes for an address already set to be located that day, knock out two in the time of one. Makes the locators life easy and money for the company.

The thing I wanted added was to have all new incoming tickets come into their own "box" at the top of the page. The next was to be able to create "boxes" of my own on the fly. The work area I divided into geographic sub areas so I wanted to move the tickets into the smaller boxes as I see fit. Makes dealing with a lot of tickets more manageable. I say more tickets because I have gone out with over 100 tickets and that is hard to keep straight, especially when new tickets are coming in all day long.

The worst one I have heard about is not only automated dispatch it is automated routing tied in with a mask and GPS.

In this one you see what tickets you have dependent on how the mask is set. There may be 50 tickets for you to do but you can only see 5 at a time. The computer sets the routing, you do the tickets in the order the computer decides you should do them. How this handles requests for appointments I have no idea, looks like it doesn't.

To open the ticket and go to work you have to arrive on the scene, you cannot open the ticket until the GPS says you are on site. The GPS logs when you arrived and when you left.

My take is this is designed for a group of employees who just do not do their jobs.
    My take is fire the employees rather than hobble good locators with such a burden that appears to only reduce the productivity of top locators.

When I route my work I take into consideration the location, priority, traffic at that site, appointments, etc.. If I get 'futures ' tickets I decide if they can be done without causing already dispatched work to fall behind. If it is the lot next door and I can get it done without not getting currently due work then I get it. These are decisions a good locator has to make and a computer cannot.

Such a system is being used by Utiliquest but I cannot give you a real full estimate of what it will really do. The company declared all information regarding the new system as proprietary information and made the locators sign a paper saying they were forbidden to talk about it. So nobody is talking for fear of losing there jobs. On the other hand I have not heard anybody say they love the thing and it works just great.

My take is that if something works great a company wants people to hear about it, you put a gag order out for other reasons.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

That routing system using GPS and giving only 5 tickets at a time sound horrible. I agree it is probably due to some employees that are milking the clock and driving all over the place instead of doing the tickets in groups in an area. you are right a good locator manages his area. He knows his area better than a computer or a supervisor. A good locator understands the intangables and how to route himself to be most productive.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    That routing system using GPS and giving only 5 tickets at a time sound horrible. I agree it is probably due to some employees that are milking the clock and driving all over the place instead of doing the tickets in groups in an area. you are right a good locator manages his area. He knows his area better than a computer or a supervisor. A good locator understands the intangables and how to route himself to be most productive.
    Yes, foremen at their best guess cannot get the best tickets transferred to another locator's load like when your area gets heavy.

When it gets like that I make a list of tickets to give out to other lcoators and forward it to the foreman. I usualy give all my mostly minor tickets. This way any locator coming into my area can keep their production numberw up and is less likly to get a damage. I do not want fellow locators not wanting to come to my area when I need help becasue if the did they would get crappy, hard to do tickets. I want them to know they are going to get it easy if they help cover my work, that they want to come to my area.

This way I also keep an eye on long term jobs and keep knowledge of my area.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
    what I like is when you answer the phone it dont like how you said hello-hello and keeps hanging up and calling back
    Or it says "Hello, this is U-------------S-I-C. You have an..." I dont know about you guys, but i know if I called myself, which I never do unless I lose a phone, I could understand what was said

We refer to it as 'Robobitch" down here! I don't listen -just hang-up refresh my tickets and then hit the F3 button after high-lighting the new ticket . No follow-up calls necessary.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast