Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pipehorn Forum

Default Re: Pipehorn Forum

I have an old 100 series I use quite often, I modified mine with a pelican case to water proof it. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Atheism-The belief that there was nothing and nothing hapened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replication bits which then turned into dinosaurs...makes perfect sense.

The pipe horn 800 is great, work in an area where the gas is old and hard to locate, the 800 is the best, thanks alot

THE pipehorn 800 is the best, locate in area where the gas is old and hard to locate, would be lost without it, thanks

I have an 100 series and use it all the time. Only problem is the old lantern style 9v batteries are hard to find sometimes. As long as the tech has been trained properly about the gain, and doesn't swing his arm like a madman in an ark, its a great drop tool and it will jump a broken tracer with ease (480 freq tends to do that). Never used the newer ones. I love my old one and hope I never have to upgrade it. It's the old faithful. I used to work with a guy who had a Subsite, a 9890 and a pipehorn 100. the other were NEVER used. He ran everything with only the pipehorn.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

GPG, see if you can get your 100A retrofitted with the new plastic AA battery bracket. The new ones all have it, shouldn't be hard to get switched over. Takes 6AA batteries instead of the old lantern style. Although, if you had the REALLY old battery packs you could disassemble them and put a block of 4 9v back in their place, would snap right into the board. I think those are all gone now. If you find one, don't throw it out, open it up and "recycle" it....Good Luck.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Thanks for the advice, Ifindit. I found a AA bracket. I have one more of the old lantern style 9v in my toolbox, so after that one dies, I'l install the new bracket. That should make it a lot easier to get batteries. The onle place that I know of that still sells the ones I have is 0ver 30 miles from home across town. This will help a lot.
    New life for "Ol' Failthful."
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

The only pipe & cable locator I have ever used has been the Progressive 501 Tracker II. Would there be a real big learning curve if I switched over to the Pipehorn 800?
    Thanks,
    Frank

Years of Experience

auggiedoggie: The Pipehorn 800HL is easy to learn and operate. Give me a shout if you would like to discuss.

* I will be in New Jersey Aug 11-13

David Dodd
    800-952-3710
    dd@pipehorn.com

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    I have used the 100 series and I now use the 800 I can say that the 800 is a tank i am very pleased with its performance and duability it has been ran over twice one in a Car Dealers lot by a car and once by me and it has not cracked or damaged the casing and it has made me a believer in its strength. The only complaint I have is that the signal strength is too strong to use on certian cables if they are shallow in the future I would like to see a knob to possible lower and raise the output on the transmitter.

You can pick up a rheostat at Radio shack for less than $5, I've been going to try this myself for awhile...... In fact, I'll let you know how it works.

been doing this 12 yrs always had an rd. got a pipe horn after spending a week at staking university in manteno illinois. the rd hasnt been in the front seat of the truck since then . just got a new 500 cary it all in a tool bag. i swear by piprehorns . cant get enough of em . david dodd has alwys been more than helpful with any questions i have ever had . great to do business with

i always go to the hardware store and get a tie down strap and put through the handle so i can hang it on my shoulder while im painting and stomping flage . might want to look into supplying straps with the horns. just a idea

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    You can pick up a rheostat at Radio shack for less than $5, I've been going to try this myself for awhile...... In fact, I'll let you know how it works.
    any info on this and what does it do????

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    ok I looked it up question is what is the correct way to wire this up ...to the batteries????? got any ideas

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    GPG, see if you can get your 100A retrofitted with the new plastic AA battery bracket. The new ones all have it, shouldn't be hard to get switched over. Takes 6AA batteries instead of the old lantern style. Although, if you had the REALLY old battery packs you could disassemble them and put a block of 4 9v back in their place, would snap right into the board. I think those are all gone now. If you find one, don't throw it out, open it up and "recycle" it....Good Luck.
    Thats what I run my high box with. The 4 9v batteries made together into a block matches the MaH capacity of the original latern style battery.

I just LOVE my Model 100, and use it all the time. I bought it off ebay 5 or 6 years ago for 125.00. With a serial number starting with 29xx, only 4 digits, I know its a rather old one.

I like the 800 too, but takes some getting used to without the trigger switch.

Pipehorn needs to keep one like they are now...Great tool for years on end...can't ask for anything more than that...
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Was lucky enough to get a hold of a 100 series refitted for the double AA batteries 2 days ago.
    Was working on a job yesterday, located everything in the R.O.W. and was trying to piece together a gas line which had some really bad tracer tie in's services and a very limited amount of connection points. Was just about to give up, since my 810 had been defeated when I broke out my new pipe-horn. BINGO lit right up, no problem with bleed-off with a metal pressurized sewer line 4' away.
    First day of having it, was defeated with the RD4000 and the Metrotech 810...and was able to fire right up with the Pipe-horn....

All I can say is man I am glad I have one now, and would be highly interested in checking out a newer model one day!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast