Thread: Pipehorn 800 hl

TMO
    Years of Experience

Default Pipehorn 800 hl

Dont suppose anyone can find an exploded view of an 800?
    the wand slppied down a bit on mine today, and i found that the 3 set screws were not in it all all. all that had been holding the wand/cover on was the rubber grommet.
    anyway, the 18 gauge wire from the reciever handle has pulled away from the coils in the tip of the wand. Any ideas?

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Pipehorn 800 hl

Look up David Dodd on the member list. He is the Pipe Horn rep.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That is why I moved it to this forum. I think he gets a notification by e-mail every time there is a post in here.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Please contact me:

David Dodd
    Pipehorn Utility Tool Co
    800-952-3710

TMO
    Years of Experience

Thanks guys, i called in to the company today, spoke to a man , but i have forgotton his name already. i figured out which side of the coil is the left side, and that the red lead goes to the left. He did talk a bit about 'air lock' if it isnt repaired properly, and i know i dont want to void the warranty because i didnt buy it. So i may just show restraint and give it over to my fleet guy to send in. But then i probably wont be employed here by the time it comes back, so ...uuurrrggghhh!

Question for David; Can you lean a Pipehorn against a metal Riser or Street light and get good induction?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

TMO: You spoke with Pipehorn's Senior Engineer Mike Ryan. We turn repairs around in 48 hours. I've got my money on you being there when it gets back!!

Sprayandpray: Obviously I'm biased, but in my opinion no locator comes close to Pipehorn's inductive performance on street lights (or any un-energized wire). The answer to your question is yes - you can lean the transmitter against a metal riser or street light. But this may or may not be the BEST place to induce. Touching the bottom of the transmitter DIRECTLY to a metal riser (or valve lid) generally reduces the output. Better to leave about an inch or space (or dirt anything non-metallic) between the bottom of the transmitter and the metal. Depending on the situation, placing the transmitter on the ground where the conductor enters the earth may give you an even stronger signal. Getting the transmitter in the right place can make a big difference in the signal on the target line. These are general guidelines. As I'm sure you know, sometimes you have to try different transmitter placements until you get the best signal.

TMO
    Years of Experience

You are correct sir! It was Mike. Funny how something that happens to a guy in the field gets you all worked up, then you get a guy like Mike on the phone, and even though it was still broke, i understood what had happened. Settled me down a bit. 48 hours to get it back from 'Bama sounds awesome! I believe it will leave Fort Worth tomorrow. Mike also said it can get an upgrade/update while its there.Very good! It see's more daylight than my 8000 or my vivax!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDodd View Post
    TMO: You spoke with Pipehorn's Senior Engineer Mike Ryan. We turn repairs around in 48 hours. I've got my money on you being there when it gets back!!

Sprayandpray: Obviously I'm biased, but in my opinion no locator comes close to Pipehorn's inductive performance on street lights (or any un-energized wire). The answer to your question is yes - you can lean the transmitter against a metal riser or street light. But this may or may not be the BEST place to induce. Touching the bottom of the transmitter DIRECTLY to a metal riser (or valve lid) generally reduces the output. Better to leave about an inch or space (or dirt anything non-metallic) between the bottom of the transmitter and the metal. Depending on the situation, placing the transmitter on the ground where the conductor enters the earth may give you an even stronger signal. Getting the transmitter in the right place can make a big difference in the signal on the target line. These are general guidelines. As I'm sure you know, sometimes you have to try different transmitter placements until you get the best signal.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Anyone have a clue why a 800 transmitter emits the standard high tone when i turn it on , but when i set it on the ground to induce to tone drops low? Yes , even with fresh batteries. In fact , sometimes it is a low tone when i turn it on , and the tone jump to the standard high tone only when i set it on the ground , pick it up , and the tone drops low again.

Thank goodness my Surelock puts out 480 while i try to get the 800 fixed!