Thread: What's going on in Pa. ?

Default What's going on in Pa. ?

Today, USIC ask for volunteers to work in Pennsylvania. Supervisors are tells us that we pick up a new contract. And they need help. Just wondering if this is true before I volunteer. I not sure where.

Default Re: What's going on in Pa. ?

Talks of a possible strike by the union.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2020

also

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Contra.....-a0213696254

PITTSBURGH -- A contract covering nearly 70 United States Infrastructure Corporation workers represented by the Communications Workers of America Communications Workers of America (CWA) is the largest communications and media labor union in the United States (the union also has locals in Canada), representing over 700,000 workers in both the private and public sectors.
    expired at midnight with many important issues including concessions in wages and work conditions not resolved. The contract originally due to expire on October 31, 2009 was extended through December 4, 2009.

The important nature of the services provided, which directly impacts how safe our communities are during commercial and residential construction, is one of the reasons the workers have opted to continue working without a contract. For now, employees will continue to report to work although that can change at any time. Workers are keeping their option to strike open. For workers, the terms of the contract will remain in effect, meaning that wages, working conditions and benefits like health care will continue unchanged, with the exception of the arbitration for grievances.

Local 13000 members in Pennsylvania voted yes by a 2-1 margin to authorize a strike if a fair contract is not reached. CWA also represents other USIC workers in North Carolina however; their contract doesn't expire until December 2010.

The Union and Company are scheduled to meet with a Mediator on December 21, 2009.

- - - - -

But it looks like they made an agreement on the contract. This is becasue your boss told you that they wanted you over there for some new contract, not to be scabs and strike breakers.

Years of Experience

i would have to assume that there will not be alot of people going over that way now
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I don't mine going somewhere to help but I refuse to be a scab. Thanks for the info.

A buddy of mine was recently told that USIC has changed the rules on the use of company vehicles while out of town. His Sup told him that employees working out of town can no longer use their vehicles to go out and eat or for any other personal use, just like if you were at home. You either have to walk or take a cab-at your expense. Don't know that this is the truth.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    A buddy of mine was recently told that USIC has changed the rules on the use of company vehicles while out of town. His Sup told him that employees working out of town can no longer use their vehicles to go out and eat or for any other personal use, just like if you were at home. You either have to walk or take a cab-at your expense. Don't know that this is the truth.
    Man, I can take an out of town assignment. I can drive a day or two to get there. I can live out of a suitcase and motel room. Even sleep in the cab of the truck.

But I would not be willing to work out of town under those terms.
    I mean if it were a big rig I could understand but just a pickup truck, no way. I would be better off letting someone else take that assignment.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    i would have to assume that there will not be alot of people going over that way now
    Well it depends. Maybe they signed that contract and there really is a new contract they are picking up. When did a boss ever lie to you?

If it is to get strike breakers you can bet that not all of their locaotrs read this forum so many will not know about it.

Then again it is a matter of timing. That contract ran out the first week of last December. There is no point in going on strike when the weather has forced a reduction in work load. They went on working without a contract waiting for the weather to improve. They will wait until just before the beginning of the busy season. That way the company will need those out of area locaotrs to carry the work load of their own areas.

The strike vote was already made and passed 2 to 1 last December. With 66% of the employees voting for strike they know they would lose too many locators to get their work done. While 33% voted against striking they still cannot be counted on to cross the picket line. Anybody who crosses that picket line knows they would have to work side by side with those that did not cross that line. They face after the strike never being able to get help in the field from most of their coworkers. Still some number of people will cross the line regardless of the way they voted, just not enough to keep the operation running. Which is why they are, maybe they are, trying to get locators from other areas to come there.

What we here do not have is clear and concise information of if a contract has been signed. If that firm has or has not picked up another contract and if so in what area.

We are making a lot of guess work.

I should have said they told us it was a new [U]utility[/U] contract. Sorry for the mix up.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by flagsrme View Post
    I should have said they told us it was a new [U]utility[/U] contract. Sorry for the mix up.
    Well what they said could mean more than one thing.

They could have signed a new contract with one of their client firms upon the expiration of the old contract. Then it is indeed a "new" contract but not a new client bringing in more work.

They could have singed a contract with a new client and have more work to cover.

I know I am being a pain in the as but the devil is in the details.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    <SNIP> Maybe they signed that contract and there really is a new contract they are picking up. <SNIP>
    Sorry, I really msiwrote that sentance above.

It should read ;

Maybe they signed that UNION contract and there really is a new UTILITY contract they are picking up.

Sorry gang.

Years of Experience

I wouldn't mind going to PA, if i worked for USIC. My last job was 100% hotel living so that wouldn't bother me, but not being able to even use the truck?

They'd have to make it worth it...after all if you went you'd be helping out the company in a big way, they'd should return the favor!

Quote Originally Posted by mattm211 View Post
    I wouldn't mind going to PA, if i worked for USIC. My last job was 100% hotel living so that wouldn't bother me, but not being able to even use the truck?

They'd have to make it worth it...after all if you went you'd be helping out the company in a big way, they'd should return the favor!
    Unfortunately USIC is not in the business of returning favors to their employees. The mindset of upper management is that everyone is expendable and you should be thankful you have a job. Once in awhile you might get the patented " thanks for all you do " but that's about it.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by flagsrme View Post
    Today, USIC ask for volunteers to work in Pennsylvania. Supervisors are tells us that we pick up a new contract. And they need help. Just wondering if this is true before I volunteer. I not sure where.
    I'm not aware of a new contract (utility) nor was I told the union contract was signed (but that is not unusual here in this mess we call PA). I do know we have shortages of manpower due to people leaving and a few transferring. If a strike occurs I imagine it will come after April. You guys probably know more than us as to what is going on here!

Mke
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Hopefully the hotel has room service.