• 4 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By Nb22x

Thread: Utiliquest shows understanding & got something right

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Utiliquest shows understanding & got something right

Reading the Utiliquest website, I read all competing firms websites, I saw something in the Carriers page that shows understanding of locators and client utilities.

The page said they offered ruggedized laptops and late model pickup trucks.

What these mean to the locator:

the truck means two things.

A usually more comfortable vehicle and better suited to work from than a tiny economy car.

It also means a more durable vehicle built for the industrial work environment. The truck is tougher and with less moving parts so less down time for repair. To the experienced locator it means not losing marking time waiting for tows and repairs. Good locators want to get their work done.

The rugged class computer means one thing.

Less down time and again the ability to get the work done.

What these mean to the clients:

It means the is doing well and can afford to put out higher cost of this equipment to help insure that their work gets one. Also they can afford to pay a higher price up front for equipment that will later have continually increasing repair cost. Repair costs that will tie up future income to where needed better equipment, of just the same inadequate equipment, cannot be purchased.

Such a company looks better to the clients.

I was at Utiliquest years ago and they started an employee owned work vehicle program. They paid for gas and paid the locator a mileage fee. they stopped it once they lost a contract due to it. A competitor bidding on the same contract pulled out photos of employee vehicles with Utiliqest signs on them. They said, correctly, that the subcontractor represented the client in the eyes of their customers and that Utiliquest appeared unprofessional and cheap. The competing firm won that contract.

Putting the cheapest commuter cars available looks just like that, unprofessional and cheap.
    daman1, locatepro, yahoo and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Utiliquest shows understanding & got something right

We will see Utiliquest very soon in the southern states AGAIN ....but under a new name . usic will soon be out the door .
    FieldTech561 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    We will see Utiliquest very soon in the southern states AGAIN ....but under a new name . usic will soon be out the door .
    Dycom also owns STS and Locating Inc and if one frim gets a bad name they insert one of the other names. All the same people, just a different name.

Premier Locating wants to expand and you may see them getting contracts in that area.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Dycom also owns STS and Locating Inc and if one frim gets a bad name they insert one of the other names. All the same people, just a different name.

Premier Locating wants to expand and you may see them getting contracts in that area.
    If you look up the corporate headquarters address they all go Utiliquest headquarters at 2575 Westside Parkway , Alpharetta, GA. They all are in the same room, suite 100. They all have the same phone number and even their fax numbers are all the same.

Years of Experience

I would think that only Dycom would have the financial stability to pick up these contracts down here . THAT is what I am expecting . I don't think Premier has a chance to get all this down here but I have been wrong before . Thanks for the info PL .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Yes.
    This is because the vast majority, nearly all of management from field sups to office managers and area directors are promoted from WITHIN the company ranks, our current eastern area manager started as a locator 15 years ago, now he is in charge of 5 offices and 100's of techs.
    This is the way it should be.
    I have absolutely no respect for a manager or sup who wasn't a tech first for at least two years.
    Unlike other locating companies, UQ understands that this industry is very specialized and requires management who understand locating from the GROUND UP, literally. :-)
    locatepro likes this.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I would think that only Dycom would have the financial stability to pick up these contracts down here . THAT is what I am expecting . I don't think Premier has a chance to get all this down here but I have been wrong before . Thanks for the info PL .
    Premier does have the financial backing, they are owned by Wilbros T&D Construction. Premier does have some small contract in south Florida. They are interested in the Eastern seaboard.