Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utiliquest Loses Atmos Gas Contract

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: Utiliquest Loses Atmos Gas Contract

They had a leak testing contract with nicor gas in IL awhile back. I wasn't qualified to put two test probes in the ground and measure the gas levels

I also heard the rumor HeathCUS have agreed to install Test Stations where/when the Locator loses the sigal on a main. Hope they aren't expecting the Locator to do it by hand-digging.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

TMO
    Years of Experience

When a main has to be escalated to the vac crew, they set test stations regularly now.

UtiliQuest Sucks.......will be out of business or bought by Consolidated soon, very soon!!!!!

heath seems to be saying the wright thing the manager is a locator so mabey we will get the treatment we deserve !!

Years of Experience
    elleventyseven

Quote Originally Posted by theman View Post
    heath seems to be saying the wright thing the manager is a locator so mabey we will get the treatment we deserve !!
    I got my start with Heath and think very highly of them. The Project Manager and QA both started as locators from the area and really knew the customer and how to give them what they wanted without killing us in the process.

When the contract was lost, they even coordinated with the other company(SM&P) to get us hired before the changover. Literally, they brought the DM and HR rep into our office one morning to get the paperwork started for those willing to make the switch. A crappy situation, handled with class.

I admit the pay is on the lower end of the scale, but I would go back, without hesitation, if they won back a local contract. They are a good company with good people. They were back then anyway, and I believe they still are.

Years of Experience

theman - I know the manager you mention, and I agree with you. Super guy. And it has to help when the manager is also an excellent locator....

Years of Experience

I heard Heath may not pay as much, but that they refuse to locate for any phone company, anywhere. And prefer to do single utility (gas) locating only. Not sure if that will last, but it sounds good. I know a guy that works there (use to work for UQ) and he says other than the normal pressures of locating they do less of the micro managing the big guys do. He says they are trying to go old school, by providing higher quality (focusing on single ticket) and charging more. I wonder if the utilities are really willing to pay more for long, if they can get USIC or CUS to do the same work for much less, while they are there doing the phone.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatingsince1986 View Post
    I heard Heath may not pay as much, but that they refuse to locate for any phone company, anywhere. And prefer to do single utility (gas) locating only. Not sure if that will last, but it sounds good. I know a guy that works there (use to work for UQ) and he says other than the normal pressures of locating they do less of the micro managing the big guys do. He says they are trying to go old school, by providing higher quality (focusing on single ticket) and charging more. I wonder if the utilities are really willing to pay more for long, if they can get USIC or CUS to do the same work for much less, while they are there doing the phone.
    http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/sh...hat-hit-Urbana

That link is to an article where AT&T got a $2,700 fine becasue USIC failed to properly mark a damaged cable.

While the amount of the fine is minor, not even pocket change, to AT&T it is an indication that the client companies cannot count on the responsibility being passed off to the contractors they hire.

Consider the possible effects upon a client company that has gas and electric. A miss-mark that results in a death(s) can produce a wrongful death suit against the client company. While the client companies can have contract clauses requiring their contractors to cover such a judgment this is only good if the contractor has enough money to pay off the judgment.

Sine the work of the locate firms is to perform routine work required of the client companies by law the ultimate responsibility for miss-marked, or failed to mark, lines is still on the client company.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; February 26th, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Correct spelling on a word

TMO
    Years of Experience

Another round of discussion and interview with Heath today, looking better every time i talk to those guys.
    The questions i have seem to get answered honestly, and this next week may be when the hiring actually moves forward.
    I have sat down with 5 different energy companies, and while the pay is good, there are other downsides. Still leaning toward Heath.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Did you attend the Jobs Fair? Were there a lot of people there?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Did you attend the Jobs Fair? Were there a lot of people there?
    Last week was the first Job Fair, 4-5 from my crew went, plus maybe 8 more. Today was a group interview setting, with a brief 1 on 1 after. Quite a few went today. Probably more than 50. I got in and got out early, and more were coming in all morning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123