Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utiliquest closes Ft. Worth Tx office

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Utiliquest closes Ft. Worth Tx office

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    i was on a job today by myself and came up and there was at least 25 rookie utiliquest guys working this street (500ft markout) this markout took me 10 min with 2 utilities... as i watch these clowns "TRY" to do the job i see them hooked up EVERYWHERE to different utilities (probably using the same signal) and watch them get all confused why they cant find anything.... i probably should have gotten out to help them with the situation but i was enjoying it to much for about 20 min before i took off for my next job... utiliquest lost ALOT of Vet. good locators in the north and are replacing them with very crappy $10 people they find... I can also see them folding very soon... all the dumb rules they put in place

(this is in the north)
    I LOVE watching rookies work. Something about thier innocence and naivete makes me smile. Makes me think that, hey, maybe life's ok, ya know? LMAO.

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Yes, 153 locators out of work. Hopefully many of them will sign on with the new firm. But never do all the old locators get hired by the new firm.
    Looks like most of the field has beed hired elsewhere. On to bigger and brighter futures we hope.

Years of Experience
    too many

Like spray and paint said we can and do get 2-500 tickets Im one of the guys who GOT 225 past due tickets with this cluster****!! about 90% of them are tickets I located already and now they are back with a code for verizon. if sprayandpaint is who i think he is (i will not say a name on here) he got shit on with a bunch of these tickets as well. in Dallas area there a a few guys who got hammered (myself included) to make matters worse we got the prints thrown at us with no real training, no flags or marking instructions!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    to make matters worse we got the prints thrown at us with no real training, no flags or marking instructions!!!!!
    Good luck figuring out vipers prints for Verizon with no training...lol

Years of Experience
    30+

Vipers does suck. I like the old Field View myself.

Years of Experience

I liked Field View alot better also, if only they had kept them updated...

I remember back to when I was working Verizon stuff....................their prints ALWAYS sucked and no matter what it seemed like 'their' people had to be on site to decipher the Verizon code work in regards to prints....................funny, things haven't changed much, seems like job security right there to me.

Back when I did gas work as well there were TWO sets of prints..................one WE as locators got from the client (IDS) and a SEPERATE set the client used (GIS). Now which of these do you think was MORE ACCURATE as far as WHAT WAS REALLY in the ground?? EVERYTIME there was a damage THEIR investigator showed up and ALWAYS tried to make us look stupid by asking (or more like telling us) 'Why didn't you use GIS, the measurements are RIGHT THERE, plain as day' and our response was ALWAYS the same..............'We don't HAVE GIS, we use IDS because YOU GUYS won't GIVE US GIS'................his response MUST HAVE BEEN scripted, either that or he was just retarded because it was ALWAYS the same thing for like a year. Nothing like being set up for failure from the client.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    Like spray and paint said we can and do get 2-500 tickets Im one of the guys who GOT 225 past due tickets with this cluster****!! about 90% of them are tickets I located already and now they are back with a code for verizon. if sprayandpaint is who i think he is (i will not say a name on here) he got shit on with a bunch of these tickets as well. in Dallas area there a a few guys who got hammered (myself included) to make matters worse we got the prints thrown at us with no real training, no flags or marking instructions!!!!!
    I really wouldn't worry about Spray friend, he knows how to handle a knuckleball and is most likely laughing his way to the bank because of this mess! I would worry more about VIPERS. It has one hell of a learning curve. Good luck mate!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Vipers does suck. I like the old Field View myself.
    A big + 1 here. Why did they ever do away with it?

Years of Experience
    30+

When they swapped Field View for Vipers here in Florida I was told that it was for the benefit of Verizon employees. As locator's we did not have access to all the layers that the engineers had. They gave us what they thought was just enough info to locate the lines. Well as we all know; we need ALL info to do our jobs properly and safely.

Years of Experience

And God forbid they move lines in an area where road construction is happening as they so very politely LEAVE ALL Old lines on prints AND include ALL new lines right with the OLD stuff so when you pull this area up you have the glorious privilege of trying to decipher what is actually there and what is NOT actually there.

VIPERS is very very User "Un"Friendly...

I used IDS for gas also... very friendly prints as long as it was updated....

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    And God forbid they move lines in an area where road construction is happening as they so very politely LEAVE ALL Old lines on prints AND include ALL new lines right with the OLD stuff so when you pull this area up you have the glorious privilege of trying to decipher what is actually there and what is NOT actually there.

VIPERS is very very User "Un"Friendly...

I used IDS for gas also... very friendly prints as long as it was updated....
    I believe that utility companies, and by proxy their locate contractors, are still required to do their best to locate and identify abandoned as well as live utilities. That may be one reason why they keep them on your prints, I know that's why they're on mine.

Don't Nobody worry about me! I'm making out like a Bandit and it's only going to get better(or bigger-paychecks , that is)$$$$$$$$
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Ya screw vipers. I locate in a forgoten county with nothing new so I still use fieldview.

Years of Experience

Vipher - Viper. I hardly ever find them to be even somewhat accurate. Sometimes no roads, most times wrong ped numbers when trying to chase down an area. I rely heavily on my visual skills when going to a locate and as they say "use the prints as a guide". I account for everything in a ped even if it's dead, RIP or X'ed out AND, if I locate up to a ped, I make sure I open it and at least visually confirm whats in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12