Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tikiman

Thread: Utiliquest

Years of Experience

Default Utiliquest

Hay everyone. Anyone in the baltimore area? We had human resources visit us in the field asking about our job. Dont know if they do this with everyone but it was a lady with a auditor. Seems strange to me. They going to make my job better. hahahahaha

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Utiliquest

Quote Originally Posted by Trailertrash View Post
    Hay everyone. Anyone in the baltimore area? We had human resources visit us in the field asking about our job. Dont know if they do this with everyone but it was a lady with a auditor. Seems strange to me. They going to make my job better. hahahahaha
    So what questions was she asking you?

Years of Experience

Unless they said something telling, it was probably just an office tag along. I have had auditors follow me for half a day. I've also had the office tag along with a bunch of people in a van before, just to be sure I was doing everything right.

Years of Experience

Basically they want to know why no one wants to work here. They used our raise money to hire this human resource person and send her out to ask questions about a job she knows nothing about. She has been with the company a month. Locaters quit because this isnt a great job or great pay. They must know people are not happy since they sent her to the field asking questions but she doesnt even know what a paint stick is. Im thinking its time to get out of here.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Wow, that sounds like something straight out of a Dilbert cartoon.

The company says, "Let's take the money we could spend on raises for our employees, to hire some random person who knows nothing of this industry, to go out and interview our underpaid employees. And ask them why they don't want to work here."

Is Utiliquest still the only contract locating company that has company-wide drive cams in all of their vehicles? Or has USIC done that as well now? That would be another reason not to work there. Who the freak wants to be spied on, with a camera, at all times? They already have GPS units in the vehicles, for god's sake.

I find it hard to believe it saves them that much money in insurance. Think about all the installation charges and the cost of the camera's themselves. I find it hard to believe there is a savings there, at least a significant savings. More likely, the higher level managers at the locating company were friends with the camera manufacturers, and they split the deal behind closed doors.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post

The company says, "Let's take the money we could spend on raises for our employees, to hire some random person who knows nothing of this industry, to go out and interview our underpaid employees. And ask them why they don't want to work here."

Is Utiliquest still the only contract locating company that has company-wide drive cams in all of their vehicles? Or has USIC done that as well now? That would be another reason not to work there. Who the freak wants to be spied on, with a camera, at all times? They already have GPS units in the vehicles, for god's sake.

I find it hard to believe it saves them that much money in insurance. Think about all the installation charges and the cost of the camera's themselves. I find it hard to believe there is a savings there, at least a significant savings. More likely, the higher level managers at the locating company were friends with the camera manufacturers, and they split the deal behind closed doors.
    In addition they have to pay someone to review hundreds of hours of video and audio recordings. Utiliquest had their office managers do this and they spent all day everyday doing this. So they had to hire a company to do it

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I heard usic finally got rid of their after market gps systems. Like my company they are using like onstar and such

Years of Experience

Still got and gettin um round here.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post

Exactly and they interview us techs still here and she was kinda rude about it. They should go harrass the techs who quit if they want to know why they didnt want to stick around. The guys who have gone to usic seem to like it a lot better over there then here at UQ. A few of us are going to see what happens with the bge contract thats up for bid in a few months. If usic keeps it we are thinking about going over. At least they use the money for the techs, nicer trucks and equipment.

The drive cams are a bunch of bs too. We get a write up everytime we set it off and no way to argue if we are right or not. The drive cam company reviews the video and states what we did wrong and the sup brings it out for us to sign it. The policy is 4 drive cams in 3 months and we can get fired.

Years of Experience

You are right Trailer and it is called an "exit interview". Companies do this with all employees for whatever reason they leave the firm excluding death. Firms that do not do this, like UtilitQuest, do not want an official record of their shortcomings.

You will probably do better by job hopping. Some people will hoping that an exodus will prompt their present employer to improve pay, benefits and working conditions. UtiliQuest has a long history of taking back any improvements making any gains, if there are any gains, only temporary. I speak from working at UQ for ten years plus two years from it's founding firm Byers Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailertrash View Post
    Exactly and they interview us techs still here and she was kinda rude about it. They should go harrass the techs who quit if they want to know why they didnt want to stick around. The guys who have gone to usic seem to like it a lot better over there then here at UQ. A few of us are going to see what happens with the bge contract thats up for bid in a few months. If usic keeps it we are thinking about going over. At least they use the money for the techs, nicer trucks and equipment.

The drive cams are a bunch of bs too. We get a write up everytime we set it off and no way to argue if we are right or not. The drive cam company reviews the video and states what we did wrong and the sup brings it out for us to sign it. The policy is 4 drive cams in 3 months and we can get fired.

Years of Experience

hang in there dude ...some of those HR ladies are pretty hot !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I work out of the Baltimore office and got a visit from these people about 2 months ago. Apparently they hired this local human resource rep just for our office.

I agree with you on the company spending "our" raise on another pointless salary. They hire these people but when review time comes around I get 40 cents. They should realize we are the ones getting tickets done and making them the money.

The questions she ask were generic and not relative to the job anyway. Just a waste of time. She must be getting some bad feedback though, she said it sounded like we needed a union. I dont see how that would make any difference.
    yahoo likes this.