Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usic vs unions

Years of Experience

Default Re: Usic vs unions

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I think everyone can see your point Dragon. We've all been there. I don't like working where everyone isn't contributing either. But if you have a system built to take advantage of every parameter possible, with no input from the guys doing the work in the field, you will find the guys doing the work pushing back on you, sooner or later. Usually sooner.

In other words, if you put a dog in a corner, and kick him several times a day, how long before the dog bites back?

Where this is going for USIC is really not my worry. What I would truly like to see happen, is for this industry to get back where it was a few years ago, with responsible people attending to the job at hand. People who I can work alongside, and engage in a give and take atmoshpere. Not the 12 dollar an hour "janitor in a vehicle" model these nitwits have been pushing for since they first showed up here!
    I would love to have the backing to start my own locating service , experienced people would get what they need to be happy with the job and be paid well for their services .Juat like Ground Hound does , worse mistake I ever made leaving there

Not sure if this has been posted, rushing out the door, but USIC in the Eastern Missouri District voted to NOT be represented by IBEW by a fairly surprising "nay" vote of something like 70% of ballots received.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Where this is going for USIC is really not my worry. What I would truly like to see happen, is for this industry to get back where it was a few years ago, with responsible people attending to the job at hand. People who I can work alongside, and engage in a give and take atmoshpere. Not the 12 dollar an hour "janitor in a vehicle" model these nitwits have been pushing for since they first showed up here!
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Weather it is USIC, Locating Inc, or any other large contract locating company the ends are always the same. a company with 80% of their workers poorly trained and out of their element, 15%% Trained well (usually well experienced) who are smart enough to do this job for a long term, but smart enough to know that they are underpaid. and 5% who are supposed to be "management who think they are doing a great job because their damage ratio is just about the same as last year and the profit margin has either stayed the same or has not decreased over the past year.

The only goal here is to improve the industry. You make what we do worth the money again. Follow some standards and if need be a certification. I truly get tiered of showing up on site to find one of the utilities is marked wrong, not marked at all, or (my favorite) marked by someone covering his ass. When I can go a construction season without an excavator telling me how worthless locators are....we will be on the way to the promise land.

We've got locators, buisness owners, and industry reps on this site. Why haven't we seen any progress in a industry wide movement to standardize our trade?

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Weather it is USIC, Locating Inc, or any other large contract locating company the ends are always the same. a company with 80% of their workers poorly trained and out of their element, 15%% Trained well (usually well experienced) who are smart enough to do this job for a long term, but smart enough to know that they are underpaid. and 5% who are supposed to be "management who think they are doing a great job because their damage ratio is just about the same as last year and the profit margin has either stayed the same or has not decreased over the past year.

The only goal here is to improve the industry. You make what we do worth the money again. Follow some standards and if need be a certification. I truly get tiered of showing up on site to find one of the utilities is marked wrong, not marked at all, or (my favorite) marked by someone covering his ass. When I can go a construction season without an excavator telling me how worthless locators are....we will be on the way to the promise land.

We've got locators, buisness owners, and industry reps on this site. Why haven't we seen any progress in a industry wide movement to standardize our trade?

mke
    No company wants to invest in their people enough to make changes . They want to make money now instead of the long haul
    . Like paying more for exp. people , equipment and training .I have worked for CLS , SEI , No Cuts STS and Ground Hound . And out of all of them I have only seen 2 of those who invested in their people . Ground Hound which is doing great and gowing . And Sei which was in Hampton Va was destroyed by upper managment who didnt give a crap . I have known some really good locators get railroaded for doing a great job because uppere managment dont give a flying crap . I would love to see or work for a company that as concerned for their people as they are their bottom line .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12