Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usic vs unions

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Usic vs unions

I haven't seen anything about the newest email I have heard about coming out of the crystal tower. It has been said that the unions in East st Louis and NC have been voted out. Is this true? it went on to say that there is no current unions or union activity in usic. I thought there was talk that MN had like a 65% sign up and the MI had 85%. Also wasn't the petition sent it in IL? is this just another case of usic pulling a fast one? I know that the EBEW has been talking too usic and vannguard locators. also they sent put letters t locators in usic
    Last edited by paintitnow; October 25th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Usic vs unions

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I haven't seen anything about the newest email I have heard about coming out of the crystal tower. It has been said that the unions in East st Louis and NC have been voted out. Is this true? it went on to say that there is no current unions or union activity in usic. I thought there was talk that MN had like a 65% sign up and the MI had 85%. Also wasn't the petition sent it in IL? is this just another case of usic pulling a fast one? I know that the EBEW has been talking too usic and vannguard locators. also they sent put letters t locators in usic
    Word on the street in Chicago at least, is that the IBEW has been talking with USIC management, and that the next step would be a vote of some kind. That's all I know, sorry.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

CWA has been voted out as a union in NC. It was effective Wednesday (10-24-12), looks like most of the NC guys are going to get screwed over somehow..and to think, it was started by one guy in teh central part of the state that wasn't happy with the union. From what I heard, the union only won by 1 or 2 votes...
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    CWA has been voted out as a union in NC. It was effective Wednesday (10-24-12), looks like most of the NC guys are going to get screwed over somehow..and to think, it was started by one guy in teh central part of the state that wasn't happy with the union. From what I heard, the union only won by 1 or 2 votes...
    Any voted in union can be petitioned to be voted out with a time limit between votes, I believe 12 months. It is standard procedure for an employer to recruit employees from the rank and file to circulate a petition and campaign to remove the union.

Once an union is voted in you can expect USIC to have some of the locators work on their behalf to legally remove the union.

Years of Experience

Just throwing my 2cents worth in . I am a member of a postal workers union and it has been the biggest let down i have ever had to deal with as far as any job i have had . Like right now they are demanding that i vote for who they want no matter what i think . Last nite at work they even wwnt as far as to call me an idiot . They never work for us like battleing unfair practices . I have just found out i can opt out ans i am going to . How is it with locating ? Do they help or just blow smoke up your ass ? The reason i am asking , the post office is going away and i want to get back to locating , working from 1130 pm till 8 am just sucks . I rarely see my family . I do listen to all imputs . Thanks ya ll

Years of Experience
    17 years

If anyone thought a union would magically fix all that is wrong with big locating you would have been in for a big let down. It just becomes a battle between bad and worse.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    Just throwing my 2cents worth in . I am a member of a postal workers union and it has been the biggest let down i have ever had to deal with as far as any job i have had . Like right now they are demanding that i vote for who they want no matter what i think . Last nite at work they even wwnt as far as to call me an idiot . They never work for us like battleing unfair practices . I have just found out i can opt out ans i am going to . How is it with locating ? Do they help or just blow smoke up your ass ? The reason i am asking , the post office is going away and i want to get back to locating , working from 1130 pm till 8 am just sucks . I rarely see my family . I do listen to all imputs . Thanks ya ll
    So glad to see someone else saying this. I have been preaching this from the beginning. I have seen both sides of locating union and non union. It has some upsides but way more downsides. Just wait until you are working your ass off and you are not eligible for a raise but the guy next to you is a lazy... and he gets one. Then there is the whole political aspect of it. If you really want to know how your union money is used research what really happened with the GM bailout. I know it is hard to breathe right now and getting a new job seems like it is few and far in between but USIC is starting to fall apart from poor labor and high damages. There will be better companies that come along. They are already out there and growing stronger every day. By the way Dragon I am guessing that your union wants you to vote for the big O. If anyone else was telling someone how to vote the media would be all over it like white on rice. I am so amazed by what is going on in America right now. I hope there is an America by the time my child is an adult. It is a very frightening thing.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    If anyone thought a union would magically fix all that is wrong with big locating you would have been in for a big let down. It just becomes a battle between bad and worse.
    daman and digger,

most I think understand that the union is not going to fix everything. Most of this is out of desperation and to send shot over the bow of Usic. the union is only a band-aid to try to stop the bleeding. I personally do not like unions for the reason diggers states. unions protect the lazy. why should one bust their ass when they know the lazy one gets paid the same and get the same raises and it takes moving the earth to get them gone. i do not work for usic anymore and mainly replying to the spn the crystal tower is spewing out.

Years of Experience

I know what USIC is .......what's that other thing....union????? LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

daman and digger,

most I think understand that the union is not going to fix everything. Most of this is out of desperation and to send shot over the bow of Usic. the union is only a band-aid to try to stop the bleeding. I personally do not like unions for the reason diggers states. unions protect the lazy. why should one bust their ass when they know the lazy one gets paid the same and get the same raises and it takes moving the earth to get them gone. i do not work for usic anymore and mainly replying to the spn the crystal tower is spewing out.
    I see it all the time , the lazy get taken care of . I knew a few that i see every nite not doing anything , walking around eating a candy bar and drinking a soda and not doing their job , and getting away with it . Pisses me off bad cause i have to finish up for them . Dont get me wrong , i work with some great people who do like me and get the freaking job done . But soon that will be all over . The post office is done and goning to collape of it self and everyone will be out . The good , bad , and the ugly . I like working somewhere where people pull thei weight .
    thanks all for letting me vent .

There are in fact other companies out here that are growing every day. I am fortunate to work for one of them, hang in there ladies and gentlemen we are doing all that we can to get in the game soon!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sniper113 View Post
    There are in fact other companies out here that are growing every day. I am fortunate to work for one of them, hang in there ladies and gentlemen we are doing all that we can to get in the game soon!
    I am looking for a list of good companies to go to work with . I am sick of the postal BULLSHIT . sorry didn't mean to attend anyone....lol

Years of Experience

I am looking for a list of good companies to go to work with . I am sick of the postal BULLSHIT . sorry didn't mean to attend anyone....lol
    Don't worry, I don't think you attended anyone(sorry couldn't resist) I think it is easy to say that you want that but not many are willing to sacrifice to get ahead of the game. A lot of the new smaller companies need employees willing to travel right now and be away from family for a few weeks at a time. The thing about it is you are getting in on the ground floor of something great and if you are willing to pay your dues the payout will be incredible. It may take a year of really hard work and not seeing your family. In the end you end up with a career that you are proud of and a life outside of work. Temporarily you work your butt off and don't see your family much. However, you smile randomly because you are proud of who you work for and that has not happened in years. Nothing in this life that is worth having ever came easy. Happy are those who have dreams and are willing to work to make them come true. That is my motto this year.

Years of Experience

If the CWA is the union in question, then I do not see why any locator would want to join those partially responsible for making our jobs more difficult. I can't see myself being a part of the CWA......... ........the first time I met the person responsible for putting six cables in a Mag-25 two inches away from a privacy fence with the bonds facing BACKWARDS, I'm quite sure that I would try my best to put my foot in their a__s! And besides, most unions tend to be associated with the left-wing agenda in this country............PERSONALLY, I have had enough of the madness and don't need, want, or like what the unions have become in this country.

Years of Experience

I see it all the time , the lazy get taken care of . I knew a few that i see every nite not doing anything , walking around eating a candy bar and drinking a soda and not doing their job , and getting away with it . Pisses me off bad cause i have to finish up for them . Dont get me wrong , i work with some great people who do like me and get the freaking job done . But soon that will be all over . The post office is done and goning to collape of it self and everyone will be out . The good , bad , and the ugly . I like working somewhere where people pull thei weight .
    thanks all for letting me vent .
    I think everyone can see your point Dragon. We've all been there. I don't like working where everyone isn't contributing either. But if you have a system built to take advantage of every parameter possible, with no input from the guys doing the work in the field, you will find the guys doing the work pushing back on you, sooner or later. Usually sooner.

In other words, if you put a dog in a corner, and kick him several times a day, how long before the dog bites back?

Where this is going for USIC is really not my worry. What I would truly like to see happen, is for this industry to get back where it was a few years ago, with responsible people attending to the job at hand. People who I can work alongside, and engage in a give and take atmoshpere. Not the 12 dollar an hour "janitor in a vehicle" model these nitwits have been pushing for since they first showed up here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast