Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By daman1

Thread: USIC in Texas

Default USIC in Texas

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help and found this handy little forum and thought maybe someone could help. I'm located down in Southeast Texas and currently working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice; a job which I absolutely despise and would love to transition out of. The only problem is the money. I make decent enough money but only get paid once a month. I worked from SM&P briefly during the USIC buyout and if I remember correctly I was earning about $13.50 and hour. I also had a hell of a lot of overtime so I made decent money. The truth is, that was one of the best jobs I ever had. Loved the work, the independence, and the people and I really want to go back to work for USIC. However, I can't do it unless I carefully plan that transition and I can't do it if I can't support my family. So I suppose my question is about the pay. Brass tacks, can anyone give me an idea about what kind of pay I could expect working for USIC again? Any information would really help.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC in Texas

It sounds like you've been away from locating for too long to get decent money. It was 6 years ago when they transitioned from SM&P to U-Suck. I don't mean to tear them down, but I can't help it. I would not recommend anyone to go to work there. It's nothing like it used to be. Everybody loves the company when they first start, but after a heavy dose of micro managing, forcing you to cover twice the area you can handle, and then degrading you when you have a damage, it's not so nice. You start to realize that $13.50 -- $14.50 is no where near what is required to keep your sanity. Stay with your other job dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bwarren View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help and found this handy little forum and thought maybe someone could help. I'm located down in Southeast Texas and currently working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice; a job which I absolutely despise and would love to transition out of. The only problem is the money. I make decent enough money but only get paid once a month. I worked from SM&P briefly during the USIC buyout and if I remember correctly I was earning about $13.50 and hour. I also had a hell of a lot of overtime so I made decent money. The truth is, that was one of the best jobs I ever had. Loved the work, the independence, and the people and I really want to go back to work for USIC. However, I can't do it unless I carefully plan that transition and I can't do it if I can't support my family. So I suppose my question is about the pay. Brass tacks, can anyone give me an idea about what kind of pay I could expect working for USIC again? Any information would really help.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I was there during the transition. USIC today is a world away from what SM&P used to be. Your experiences back then don't translate today. I'd only consider them as a way of getting my foot in the locating door. Start looking for greener pastures immediately.
    superman and UULC like this.

Years of Experience

pay depends on exactly how much past experience you have .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I've heard a lot of bad things about USIC, but frankly, I think it might be one of my only options to get my foot back in the door. As for staying with the other job, well, that's not really an option anymore. I've worked corrections for a few years now and I used to enjoy the work. Especially in Arizona, but Texas corrections sucks. Low pay, long hours, nightmare work environment, horrible training. You name it, we got it... one of the most horribly mismanaged agencies I've ever worked for. And that says a lot. I've got to do something else or I'm going to have a heart attack before I hit 40.

Years of Experience

TEXAS? HOLY SHIT! Only steers and queers from Texas!

Years of Experience

Im stuck in that same boat at the moment. All this talk about how terrible this company is puts fear in me. But Im stuck for the moment and could use the cash to support my family.

Years of Experience

I know this thread is pretty dated, but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth anyway.
    The Houston area SUCKS, and the main problems are zero lot lines and the utility contractors themselves who call in the majority of the "both sides of the back fence" tickets and refuse to white line.
    Yeah, the biggest problems are caused by CPE electric and gas, Comcast, ATT and other telco/catv/utility company's own flipping contractors.
    Hard to keep anyone there once they figure out that the work they do has so little respect from the customers who have hired the company they work for.
    Of course, the Texas One-Call laws are set up in such a way as to favor the excavator over the locator BIG TIME.

However, Orange, Texas is not like Houston.
    If you were to hire on with USIC in the Beaumont/Orange area, you'd probably find quite a few locators who have been there for quite awhile...and that is COMPLETELY different from the Houston area who can't keep anyone with ANY other options on the payroll.
    Plus, they used to have a Beaumont incentive starting wage bump too. That's probably why you were making that much to start with...you should be able to start at close to the same...but I don't really know.