Thread: USIC recruiting-" A knight in shining Armour "

Years of Experience
    na

Default USIC recruiting-" A knight in shining Armour "

Did anyone see this add on carreer builder???

Heres some gist-

Description

Overview: USIC is seeking a motivated change agent with at least 6 months experience in the underground utility locating industry to lead its emerging technologies development efforts.

General Duties:

•Evaluate locating and other technologies and determine which are best to use in the field now and in the future
    •Lead in the implementation of new technologies, products, tools, methods, techniques, and systems
    •Create and manage complex RFP processes from initiation thru selection thru implementation
    •Work with vendors to specify their product features and product roadmaps
    •Improve workflow, work area organization, equipment organization, systems interactions and capabilities and other aspects of a Locator’s day to day work
    •Be a thought leader on general trends of Locating industry, what the risks and opportunities are for USIC, what the disruptive technologies are, etc.
    •Generate cost reductions ideas and prosecute cost reduction projects.
    •Improve the safety, quality, timeliness and productivity of all USIC Locators Requirements

Qualifications:

• At least six months experience in the Locating industry in Operations o Solid understanding of the technical, operational, and customer relationship aspects of Locating
    • Sound knowledge of computers, computer technology, GPS, and other technologies used in or related to the Locating industry
    •Strong belief that all processes, all systems, all tools, all machinery, and all methods can and should be improved o Entrepreneurial about manifesting such improvement •Organizationally agile and persistent – possessing the skill and will to overcome barriers inside and outside the organization to change
    •Project management experience (preferred)
    •Bachelors degree (preferred)

"Create and manage complex RFP processes" - Am I a mind reader or just ignorant to abreviation terminology???

Wonder what the " disruptive technologies" are???

UUUHHHMMM??? the computer, the software, and its glitches???

HHHAAAA!!!! There's a 6 figure bonus in the offing...

"Organizationally agile and persistent – possessing the skill and will to overcome barriers inside and outside the organization to change"

Can you hear Dangerfield in this job, being questioned about what he has accomplished-

"Hey, I got nothing to show yet, I am being organizationally agile and persistent at the golf course improving my game"... Ask me later..."

also sounds like allowing someone to be a " pain in the ass " ... Maybe I should apply...

If this isnt a contradiction, I dont know what else is-

" •Generate cost reductions ideas and prosecute cost reduction projects. •Improve the safety, quality, timeliness and productivity of all USIC Locators"

Hec, thats the problem now- more production, without the short cuts... And heres the key term in that "PROSECUTE"... That means prosecuting locaters right out the door, for not meeting the Obama of USIC's implemented changes...

HA!!! Yeah right... Right up your alley there Spray... Take the reigns of that beast...

I can hear upper management now...

Wheres that SOB GUY(I think God would be the successful candidate) WE' RE PAYING TO SOLVE ALL OUR COMPANYS SHORTCOMINGS!!!!!!!!!

We want miracles!!!!!! and we want them yesterday!!!!

I thought when we hired you, you said you could walk on water???

WELL!?!?!?! WELL!?!?!?

toasted:
    Last edited by USIC1; August 16th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Default Re: USIC recruiting-" A knight in shaining Armour "

Yeah, like I posted earlier, they want to jump us into a technological lead over Utiliquest but with us Locators still using equipment that is becoming out-dated. More double-speak using $2.00 words!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC recruiting-" A knight in shining Armour "

I feel a disturbance in the force Luke!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

And this is why you NEVER turn someone loose who is full of themselves... to write a job description, you end up with dumb ass wording like this.

This in a nut shell is what my certification is in. Process management.
    And working in the railway environment and the oil patch is what I did for 25 years.

In english what this job SHOULD be about is:
    Essentially, documenting all the work processes, look for process improvements (most times I just asked they guys working on the floor, they already knew where the problems were and how to fix them, I just gave voice to their needs.) Look for choke points (disruptive technologies), analyze the issues, suggest improvements, initiate improvements, adjust/alter suggested improvements, monitor them, then trained everyone in the new process, implement process, and do considerable follow up.
    Finally, you document new process.

It is a BRUTAL job. Little thanks/support from the top and when the rank and file sense no support, little cooperation from the floor up and you are caught in the middle.

Trust me USIC1 after 25 years of I threw in the towel.

Okay, well, it was not all bad, there was WAY, WAY more good than bad, its just that there was a never ending supply of problems and issues. Many of those caused by management/ownership resulting is a baby sitting/hand holding episode most times. I tired of that mostly.

My most gratifying days were when the guys on the "shop floor" thanked me cause you knew it was genuine. I took away some of their stress and feeling that no one gave a damn. This started slowly but really took off when guys started to see things REALLY change for the better. And, a great many of the issues were small, easy fixes that some dumb ass somewhere said was not fixable.

Anyway, I am on my again. I'll stop now before I really get going.

P.S. RFP stands for REAL FREEKING PROBLEM JUST KIDDING

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Did anyone see this add on carreer builder???

Heres some gist-

Description

Overview: USIC is seeking a motivated change agent with at least 6 months experience in the underground utility locating industry to lead its emerging technologies development efforts.

General Duties:

•Evaluate locating and other technologies and determine which are best to use in the field now and in the future
    •Lead in the implementation of new technologies, products, tools, methods, techniques, and systems
    •Create and manage complex RFP processes from initiation thru selection thru implementation
    •Work with vendors to specify their product features and product roadmaps
    •Improve workflow, work area organization, equipment organization, systems interactions and capabilities and other aspects of a Locator’s day to day work
    •Be a thought leader on general trends of Locating industry, what the risks and opportunities are for USIC, what the disruptive technologies are, etc.
    •Generate cost reductions ideas and prosecute cost reduction projects.
    •Improve the safety, quality, timeliness and productivity of all USIC Locators Requirements

Qualifications:

• At least six months experience in the Locating industry in Operations o Solid understanding of the technical, operational, and customer relationship aspects of Locating
    • Sound knowledge of computers, computer technology, GPS, and other technologies used in or related to the Locating industry
    •Strong belief that all processes, all systems, all tools, all machinery, and all methods can and should be improved o Entrepreneurial about manifesting such improvement •Organizationally agile and persistent – possessing the skill and will to overcome barriers inside and outside the organization to change
    •Project management experience (preferred)
    •Bachelors degree (preferred)

"Create and manage complex RFP processes" - Am I a mind reader or just ignorant to abreviation terminology???

Wonder what the " disruptive technologies" are???

UUUHHHMMM??? the computer, the software, and its glitches???

HHHAAAA!!!! There's a 6 figure bonus in the offing...

"Organizationally agile and persistent – possessing the skill and will to overcome barriers inside and outside the organization to change"

Can you hear Dangerfield in this job, being questioned about what he has accomplished-

"Hey, I got nothing to show yet, I am being organizationally agile and persistent at the golf course improving my game"... Ask me later..."

also sounds like allowing someone to be a " pain in the ass " ... Maybe I should apply...

If this isnt a contradiction, I dont know what else is-

" •Generate cost reductions ideas and prosecute cost reduction projects. •Improve the safety, quality, timeliness and productivity of all USIC Locators"

Hec, thats the problem now- more production, without the short cuts... And heres the key term in that "PROSECUTE"... That means prosecuting locaters right out the door, for not meeting the Obama of USIC's implemented changes...

HA!!! Yeah right... Right up your alley there Spray... Take the reigns of that beast...

I can hear upper management now...

Wheres that SOB GUY(I think God would be the successful candidate) WE' RE PAYING TO SOLVE ALL OUR COMPANYS SHORTCOMINGS!!!!!!!!!

WELL!?!?!?! WELL!?!?!?

toasted:
    Last edited by underground quester; August 17th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

USIC1 wrote:

WELL!?!?!?! WELL!?!?!?

USIC1 YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD AND DEAD ON YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. GOOD ON YA BUDDY
    I am laughing my ass off big time!!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

How exactly can they ask for a Bachelor's degree? It's not like there is a B.S. directly relevant to this kind of job. Is there any college around that offers a program in locating underground utilities? I've not heard of one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JMilbragen View Post
    How exactly can they ask for a Bachelor's degree? It's not like there is a B.S. directly relevant to this kind of job. Is there any college around that offers a program in locating underground utilities? I've not heard of one yet.
    I believe we already have too many management types with BS (Bull S_it) degrees as it is !
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Well, I have reached a few conclusions, and they came to me fairly quickly.

1. These locating companies DO know how to use a dictionary, thesaurus, and spell checker.

2. Most of the upper management of these companies DO NOT know $hit from Shinola.

3. Most of the upper management of these companies COULD NOT find their a$$es with a search warrant, a flashlight, full time GPS and a cell phone.

4. Most of the upper management of these companies WOULD NOT know a good deal if it fell into their fat laps.

5. Most of the upper management of these companies TALK MORE $HIT THAN A 2.00 radio.

Man, you think I was bitter and disgruntled before, wait til you see what comes from my mind in teh next few weeks.

I HATE my job so much, and I CANNOT stand the company I work for. The only good thing about my job is the cell phone has an OFF button. The favorite part of my day is quitting time.

I feel like I am trapped and I want to get out of contract locating so damn bad I cannot stand it anymore....

I'm tired of seeing/hearing all of the big useless words and ideas these companies can come up with. You know, farming sure as hell looks easy from 1000 mile away when you're looking at it on a piece of paper....my Grandfather said that, may he rest in peace.
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    Man, you think I was bitter and disgruntled before, wait til you see what comes from my mind in teh next few weeks.

I HATE my job so much, and I CANNOT stand the company I work for. The only good thing about my job is the cell phone has an OFF button. The favorite part of my day is quitting time.

I feel like I am trapped and I want to get out of contract locating so damn bad I cannot stand it anymore....
    I'm very close to being at this point myself.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    I'm very close to being at this point myself.
    I've been past the point for way too long brah. I get so sick every morning before I go to work. I am constantly drinking coffee and energy drinks (coffee ones), smoking more and more cigarettes...it is just driving me mad.

A few weeks ago I scheduled some time off, a Friday and Monday, in addition to the weekend, giving me 4 days off. In those 4 days, I smoked only 8 cigarettes, drank NO energy drinks, and only 4 cups of coffee (one each morning). When I am working full weeks and days, I typically smoke a pack in 8 hours.

I was just so damn relaxed those 4 days, I DID NOT want to go back to work. The place I went to to get away (with the wife and without the kid) didn't have cable or satellite tv, just plain old OTA DTV (the NEW government standard). We had some good food in the restaurant at the inn where we stayed and even a few glasses of nice chilled wine (some peach, apple and even blackberry).

I am just at my wits end. Something has got to give or chance here really soon or I will find myself in the middle of a depression, on medication (already on meds for high blood pressure for last 6 years) and just looking for a reason to snap on someone....it has happened to me before....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Contract locating is a demanding mistress. It sounds like you have 4+ utilities to locate and your area is very hectic. Damn man, I hope that you find something in life that makes you feel better about your job in the near future. I would hate to hear that you snapped and killed somebody over the stress and tension building up inside.

I'm all ears about management. Once I was supplied by little no-text red flags for electrical power marks on locates. This supply of flags came from a brief period of time locating in another state. I still had a good supply of these blank red flags so I started using them on normal locates in my state of origin. Sure enough after a few weeks I got a call from my boss, angry I wasn't using the flags with the text of the utility company on them.

Yup. I got chewed out for using the supplies they gave me. God have mercy on me.

Most of us get chewed out just for breathing.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

What a sad position.

I see 3 possible routes to take.

1) Stay the current.. if you guys are serious and the bark is about to turn into a bite, then its not a good situation. Really.. its just a job.. ya, its payin the bills.. but really, where is this path gonna lead ?

2) Hold the current but look for an out.. pretty hard in the current economy, no doubt.

3) Hold the current but do it on your own terms.. this is a fine line approach.. depends alot on the individual and the supervision above him (and this is where union helps, sorry for saying so..)... but really.. if you think you are being pushed too hard then either its true, or you are disillusioned. Either case though, you need to act. Take the time to do your work professionally. Keep time for documentation etc as per requirements. Hold fast, and be a professional worker. If you get backed up, so be it. Things will probably come to a head (after all, now you will be compared to the production rate of the others who are still on their way to going ballistic).
    If it ends in termination, then you will have to accept that it was the 'best' for you, and move on. (crappy situ in this economy etc).

I do feel bad for you guys that are busting arse to try and beat the next low-ball bidder (who's guys are busting arse tryin to underbid you)..

What a glorious system..
    (May you live in interesting times)