Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Is USIC really the devil?

Default Is USIC really the devil?

I've been roofing here in snow for the past 15 years. Its slow every winter and even in summer you can never tell how much work we will have. Our benefits were taken away a couple years ago as well. Its also a high stress being that I'm the foreman.

anyway

I filled out an app for USIC and have an interview in 2 days. Should I even bother?

Do things slow down a lot in winter?
    Kramit69 likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Is USIC really the devil?

down here ........NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but up your way, Golden Boy would be the best person to ask !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

thank for your response and for your response in my other thread as well

Who is this Golden Boy you speak of? That was my nickname at my last job as well

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

There is another line of inquiry you need to explore as well, what is the job generally like.

You will find some old threads on the subject by poking around in the old posts / threads.

Oh yes, this also is a high stress job.

As to your thread title, USIC has a generally bad reputation in this industry. Locators at a few locations report that their office is not so bad and these seem like small island communities.
    USIC was formed by investors who bought two firms and combined them to form USIC. Many of their offices are other firms they have bought out. Seems like some of these newly purchased offices have yet to be fully converted to the USIC management style.

are there any oppertunities for advancement?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yooperpower View Post

Everyday
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    15+

alot of promises, but if you were not hired for a sup job you won't get far

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    alot of promises, but if you were not hired for a sup job you won't get far
    That's a shame. I advanced rather quickly through the ranks when I worked for them. (SM&P when I started). I was hired and made Supe in three years, before leaving and coming back as a Lead because I didn't WANT to be a Supe again. Hour for hour, I made more money as a tech.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

thanks for the replies guys

I guess if I do get offered the job I will have to take it, as we all know jobs are pretty scarce.

Im in pretty rural area so I dont think the job would be too terrible

Years of Experience

Locating over roofing?!! Is there really a debate about this? Anyone that thinks that roofing is a better job than locating obviously has never been on a roof.
    daman1 and yahoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    Locating over roofing?!! Is there really a debate about this? Anyone that thinks that roofing is a better job than locating obviously has never been on a roof.
    thanks

Id be taking a paycut but like I said I dont have health or 401k anymore so I think that should even out. My biggest thing is job security right now

Years of Experience

Upsides to locating over roofing, even for a subcontract company, are : you are largely autonomous, so you are much less reliant on others in order to perform your job well; you are more mobile, so the day isn't a steady single action in a single location, and is broken up by many sights/sounds/situations; in comparing the two, it is much more mentally stimulating and challenging in my opinion (yes I've done both); you are learning not only a skill that could lead to bigger and better things (even if not with the particular company you learn them at) as well as gaining experience within the utility industry which can also be an avenue to bigger and better things.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and to answer your time off question, in the North country - yes many companies furlough in the Winter, but at least you have unemployment and the ability to maintain your insurance/benefits though that period.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

thanks

Id be taking a paycut but like I said I dont have health or 401k anymore so I think that should even out. My biggest thing is job security right now
    Hey YOOPER.... I have been with both CLS & SM&P which are now the USIC brand. I have a buddy that works the UP area and relatives that live there. In my opinion ( opinions arelike backsides, everyone has one ) USIC offers good bennies, job security; as long as you know how to deal with ever changing financial situations in the world and the company. Locating, like roofing is economy based, in the good times you will be working your backside off lots of OVERTIME and stress to get the jobs done on time and correctly. Then there are the SLOW times up here in the north, WINTER, and we rotate layoffs. Some take the entire winter with unemployment, some of us part of the winter. For the last few years there have been no raises but we are suposedly getting one this year. There are other benefits that I won't mention here, they may mention them in your interview. Overall if you are able to handle stress, have a basic understanding of circuits, like to work on your own and outside in all weather conditions then you will be happy.

GOOD LUCK.

message me if you want. Chris
    yahoo likes this.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

thanks

Another factor is now most locate firms dispatch you your work across the internet to a company laptop computer assigned to you. Because of this you do not usually drive your own vehicle to the office to pick up the company vehicle. You usually get a company vehicle to take home eliminating all the cost of gas and mainantce due to commute milage on a personal vehicle. Also many insurance compaines will give you a reduction on the insurance of your private vehical as it is now driven much less. Thios can be worth a couple of hundred before tax dollars a week depending on how far you commute.

Also you get to keep all the dog turds you paint. Priceless.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Also you get to keep all the dog turds you paint. Priceless.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast