Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USIC locators beware! USIC will not pay for your medical bills if you are in a acident while on the way to your first job. Read on

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC locators beware! USIC will not pay for your medical bills if you are in a acident while on the way to your first job. Read on

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    It Hurts me to say this.......But Usic is correct....that would not fall under workers comp as he/she was not on the clock. HOWEVER...Insurance would come into play on that. Just like if you were in your own car, you would go after the other drivers insurance. There could also be the potential for a lawsuit on the severity of the injures as well as lost wages. If the other driver insnt insured uninsured driver insurance should pick up the tab. Now the thing that doesnt make sence to me is why isnt Usic offering assistance to the accident victim after all it is there employee, vehicle and income that is affected as well Not like the other driver isnt sitting there looking a a banged up truck that says USIC on it , thinking hey its payday for me.
    USIC might be correct but"■Salespersons, visiting nurses, and other workers who spend a great deal of their time on the road or on call. Because travel is an integral function of the job for these employees, and because they do not operate from a fixed locale, they are often exempt from the going and coming rule. " See post #3 in this thread.

There is a second issue, when they told him they would not pay him workman's comp they fired him when he said he would consult his own legal professional because he did not think they were correct. That firing can cost them big time even if they were correct about the workman's comp in their state.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC locators beware! USIC will not pay for your medical bills if you are in a acident while on the way to your first job. Read on

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinnella View Post
    It Hurts me to say this.......But Usic is correct....that would not fall under workers comp as he/she was not on the clock. HOWEVER...Insurance would come into play on that. Just like if you were in your own car, you would go after the other drivers insurance. There could also be the potential for a lawsuit on the severity of the injures as well as lost wages. If the other driver insnt insured uninsured driver insurance should pick up the tab. Now the thing that doesnt make sence to me is why isnt Usic offering assistance to the accident victim after all it is there employee, vehicle and income that is affected as well Not like the other driver isnt sitting there looking a a banged up truck that says USIC on it , thinking hey its payday for me.
    If USIC were to actually let this case get to court (which I highly doubt they will) any lawyer worth his salt is going to be able to bring up countless precedents of employees injured in company vehicles and how labor law, not insurance law, applies to this case, at that point USIC has the task of convincing a jury that they are not responsible for an employee in a vehicle owned by them, after their financial records have been laid out for everyone to see.

EDIT: And what Pro said.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    First the employer reduces paid working hours becasue the employee does not start on the clock at the company office and drive to their first job. Second since the employee clocks out at the end of the last job the employer does not pay for the drive from the last job back the the company office. Also that since the car is not parked at the company office the company does not have to put out the money to pay for a parking lot large enough for all the company cars plus parking for the employee's cars.

That employee needs a lawyer. Since lawyers customarily charge 30% of the amount awarded or agreed too I suggest finding a greedy lawyer.
    LOVE this insight here. THANK YOU for helping this man out. Please continue sharing your wisdom with the rest of us. Mr. Carl Sagan of the 'vine.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds
    They probably would have saved money by taking care of this guy instead of having to find a replacement. What a bunch of tools.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. What a shame they are doing this to one of thier veteran guys. Make me want to rage.

Years of Experience
    20+

It does appear, with further info received on my end, that USIC wants our locator to go after the other driver for the lost wages and medical bills on his own leaving him hanging with all the bills for the meantime minus a job as well..Lots of good comments and insight from many on here..If I hear any more info I will pass it on, but settling this could take years..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12