Thread: usic locator

Default usic locator

Well I might be new to the site but I'm not new to locating. I've been a locator going on 7 years now in ohio michigan indiana. I found it funny that there is a section on hear about what company do you work for and would you work for them again 3 or 4 years ago I would say yes but now seeing what usic has done to its employees I would have to say no. I don't like how they use the economy as an excuse to screw over the people that are making the money. I feel that the drop in benefits was a joke. I am leaving soon for a better opportunity but hope I never have to come back. If I did have to come back to locating I would look to other companies.

Default Re: usic locator

I am located in Central ohio area. I have an interview Tuesday for USIC and i am wondering what your thoughts are for a female being a locator? Is this more of a mans job? Is their women that locate?

Years of Experience

One of the best locators I've ever known is a woman. She was about 19 at the time and did an outstanding job. She's about 5' 8" and 120 lbs at the time. Also, my coworker is a woman and she is about 5'5" and 100 lbs. So, being a woman won't hinder your work at all. Manhole lids might be a problem but that is about it.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Thank you that is reasurring. Although all the reading up I have did about USIC as a company has me scared! Lol

I know of female locators also and they do fine locating. Now usic isn't all bad. I just feel that they care more about money than the employees..I know that they are up for sale so only time will tell with what direction the company will go in.

There is two female locators we have here where I work, that I know of, and they are couple of the best locators we have. Also, about a year or so ago when I was in the Dayton, Ohio area (around Huber Heights) visiting relatives I saw a female locator locating out of a crossbox, so you shouldn't be alone there.

Where in Ohio did you apply to USIC...I work out of the Cincy office...

I feel ya on this...It use to be great when Asplundh owned us and we were CLS....Ever since the USIC merger with SMP it has gone down hill big time....They could have done us better on the benefits this year. Now i am paying almost an extra $100 every 2 weeks for medical coverage for me and my family....Plus the so called pay raise or in my case a lump sum pay raise i got just blew...I would have preferred an extra 50 cent raise. At least i would have gotten more when i went over my 40 hours and got paid ot....

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by amityjv View Post
    I am located in Central ohio area. I have an interview Tuesday for USIC and i am wondering what your thoughts are for a female being a locator? Is this more of a mans job? Is their women that locate?
    The job presents no problems as the physical differences between men and woman do not factor in. It is not politically correct to say there are jobs women do not fit into well but the physical demands of some jobs are a factor. Take the position of overhead lineman, often now called a line mechanic. This job requires strong upper body strength which most women do not have unless they work out and develop more muscle mass than is usual. Some women fit into this work but most women do not stay with it for long.

While locating is outside work there is no physical demand that will separate men or women with average ability. I have even worked with a locator who only had one arm.

Years of Experience
    15+

my $.02 is if your going to ask a question about anything at usic send it as an email do not ask get everything in writing

Quote Originally Posted by biggrizzley73 View Post
    Where in Ohio did you apply to USIC...I work out of the Cincy office...
    Toledo

Years of Experience

Ohio has t have other Locating Companies in the state. USIC cannot be the only one doing Locates. I think the company i work for has people locating in Toledo.

Mke
    Years of Experience

I've got mixed experiences about female locators. Similar to the mixed experiences with male locators. Some are good, some are bad. That being said....I don't think that it is swayed one way or another. The only thing that I have seen on more than one occasion is that female locators can use their guile to get contractors to do weird things.... like paint areas in white or shrink the requested area do the actual area they are going to work in.

As for the company... I have not direct experience with them, but all contract companies are the same and as long as you put paint down appropriately you'll do fine.

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator in NY View Post
    Ohio has t have other Locating Companies in the state. USIC cannot be the only one doing Locates. I think the company i work for has people locating in Toledo.
    Premier does the Columbia Gas locating.

Years of Experience

amityjv, don't go by what you read on here when deciding weather to work for USIC or not. Ask some of these guys what's the worst locating company to work for and the answer will always be the one they are working for NOW! Fill in a company name and there you go.They were like that before they were locating and they will be complaining after someone finally runs their complaining azz down the road.If I worked in a factory and had to stand next to some of them EVERY SINGLE DAY and listen to them, the sniper rifle would be my weapon of choice.
    As far as women locating, they can do a fine job.It depends on the woman. It depends on what area they want you to work.I don't think I'd hire a woman to locate in the inner city, but the suburbs would be just fine.
    Locating is a GREAT job. I wouldn't want to do anything else.