Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Usic Getting Gps In Trucks

Default Re: Usic Getting Gps In Trucks

I do the same thing. I used to pack a lunch but I always forgot it at the house. I just stop at a burger joint and do my thing for half an hour.

Years of Experience

Hopefully not much worse brother. I don't see how you guys are able to work in hot weather with no AC and how those laptops are able to operate. Guess it't the legacy of having public safety in the hands of a dog eat dog private equity culture, eh?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Well, it's obvious you don't locate in a Texas city. I very seldom have a 10 minute drive between tickets so my cab never gets totally cool. I have basically not been idling at all until about 1100 and then idling anytime I am in my truck the rest of the day. One of my buddies, on the advise of an attorney friend, has been documenting the cab temperatures with his own camera and thermometer. 130 is his top so far. Reckon that's healthy when you considered we are also under Ozone Alerts a lot during this time of year. Sooner or later, this will come to a clash.

I do not have a problem with the company tracking me to make sure I am where I am supposed to be but do it uniformly with accurate equipment and back off of the restrictions on idle time. Also, will this idle time apply when it's below 0 deg this winter?
    You can bet the farm that when it's below 0, they will demand the trucks be shut off at a locate. Your paint will freeze, your laptop will be affected, and so will your productivity. They will then use that as an excuse to get rid of more techs, so they can save more money. Because that is the ultimate goal. Save more money. They don't care how management does it, just do it!

See that 'Save more money' theory is a misconception Robot. Saving has nothing to do with it. These companies have ZERO problems dropping millions on FAILED policies and procedures. They have ZERO problems hiring unqualified Managers who have NO locating experience and paying WAYYYYY more than they are worth.

EVERYTHING is done so the company can POST profits. 9 out of ten times this is a 'shell game' used to generate interest in RE-SALE of the company (generally the larger companies). The goal is to make a hefty profit in the SHORT TERM on initial investment then BAIL OUT when some arbitrary number is met. They USE established brand names to generate more business, usually while running said name into the ground. There is NO INTEREST in Public Safety or Locating in general. The ONLY interest these types have is GREED and there you will find the magic number that they will sell ALL of you out for.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    See that 'Save more money' theory is a misconception Robot. Saving has nothing to do with it. These companies have ZERO problems dropping millions on FAILED policies and procedures. They have ZERO problems hiring unqualified Managers who have NO locating experience and paying WAYYYYY more than they are worth.

EVERYTHING is done so the company can POST profits. 9 out of ten times this is a 'shell game' used to generate interest in RE-SALE of the company (generally the larger companies). The goal is to make a hefty profit in the SHORT TERM on initial investment then BAIL OUT when some arbitrary number is met. They USE established brand names to generate more business, usually while running said name into the ground. There is NO INTEREST in Public Safety or Locating in general. The ONLY interest these types have is GREED and there you will find the magic number that they will sell ALL of you out for.
    I think we are using different terms to reach the same conclusion AUL. Saving money is maybe a too nice of a way of saying:

"Do whatever needs to be done to show growth in all parameters, regardless of the impact on the technician, customer, or community. After all, we are not in this for the long haul."

I could not agree more AUL. I just wish that someone would come along and break the cycle and start a company that actually cares about the techs and their customers. But that will probably never happen!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I could not agree more AUL. I just wish that someone would come along and break the cycle and start a company that actually cares about the techs and their customers. But that will probably never happen!!!!!
    They do, but guess what. In the end either they go out of business or get bought by the big dog.

Remember the good old days..... paper tickets, two way radios, no computers, paper prints, microficshe,......and most of all left alone to do our jobs. Man I really miss the original SM&P

Quote Originally Posted by groundpainter View Post
    Remember the good old days..... paper tickets, two way radios, no computers, paper prints, microficshe,......and most of all left alone to do our jobs. Man I really miss the original SM&P
    Thats how Promark was. Paper tickets, don't believe there was any phones or radios, paper prints/microficshe, and hardly anything underground. Not to mention no A/C in the trucks.

Years of Experience

Ya the good old days!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by premo View Post
    Ya the good old days!!
    Yeah....PREMO IS GAY!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator14 View Post
    Yeah....PREMO IS GAY!!!!!!
    You really are a 14 year old child aren't you?

Please take you childish attempts at humor to myspace where they belong.

Steve, please ban this guy.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by greek1 View Post
    usic is putting gps in our trucks to track us.

American public schools look more like youth internment centers.
    Tracking students as district property;
    tagged and spied upon like criminals.

California officials are outfitting preschoolers in Contra Costa County with tracking devices they say will save staff time and money.

When at the school, students will wear a jersey that has a small radio frequency tag. The tag will send signals to sensors that help track children’s whereabouts, attendance and even whether they’ve eaten or not.

In Texas, a judge ordered 22 students at Bryan Highschool to carry GPS tracking devices in the name of preventing truancy.

“It’s called the Attendance Improvement Management Program or AIM, and it has been used across Texas and the United States.”

“Students on the program are tracked with a hand-held GPS device between the time they leave for school in the morning and the time they check in for curfew at night.”

In Connecticut, officials are considering Tracking Devices for Students. No decisions have yet been made, but school officials plan to look into the possibility of adding radio frequency tags to student or staff ID cards, or place them on school property; like laptops.

Last fall, Lower Merion School District provided 2,300 high school students with Mac laptops. Superintendent of Schools, Christopher McGinley, described this as an effort to establish a “mobile 21st-century learning environment.” The students were not allowed to install video games and other software, and were barred from “commercial, illegal, unethical and inappropriate” use.

The students and their parents did not know the school was able to access the webcam on these laptops remotely at any time.

On 11 November 2009, Blake Robbins, a 15-year-old student at Harriton High School, was hauled into the assistant principal Lindy Matsko’s office. Blake was shown a photograph taken of him in his home from the laptop's webcam. Blake was disciplined for “improper behavior.”

FBI: No Crime for Schools To Spy On Your Children

On 17 August 2010, the FBI made the determination there is no crime for school officials to spy on your children.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

The Trampling of our 4th Amendment Rights

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

AS&E's Z Backscatter Van™ Mobile Screening System

The number of ZBV success stories from around the world continues to grow, from seizures of large quantities of drugs, contraband cigarettes, and alcohol zones. One border security agency reported drug seizures in excess of 45,000 pounds in December, 2009 and January, 2010 using the ZBV at passenger vehicle checkpoints. The two largest seizures on the border occurred within days of each other, where two tractor trailers were referred to secondary inspection with the ZBV. Both resulted in seizures totaling 740 bundles of marijuana — a combined 12,000 pounds — hidden in produce shipments.

Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officers uncovered 1,484 cartons and 158 packets of smuggled cigarettes in a bus hidden under floorboards. The potential customs duties for the duty-unpaid cigarettes totaled about $79,000, according to AsiaOne in March, 2009. AsiaOne also reported that the ZBV was used to interdict Singapore’s largest haul of illegal tobacco products when a bus driver tried to smuggle them into the country through the Tuas Checkpoint.

To view a listing of additional seizures, click here.

The ZBV is designed to detect large amounts of organic material including:

• Illegal Drugs
    • Trade Fraud Items such as alcohol, tobacco, and other legal goods smuggled to evade duties
    • Currency
    • Explosives including car and truck bombs
    • Stowaways such as illegal immigrants and terrorists

The ZBV is a low-cost, highly mobile screening system built into a commercially available delivery van. The system’s unique “drive-by” capability allows one or two operators to conduct X-ray imaging while the ZBV drives past suspect vehicles and objects. The ZBV employs AS&E's Z Backscatter technology, which produces a clear, photo-like image and reveals threats and contraband that transmission X-ray systems miss.

The U.S. Border Patrol has begun using X-ray technology to detect drugs, humans and other contraband hidden within vehicles at a Border Patrol checkpoint south of Tucson. The mobile device called the Z Backscatter Van (ZBV) resembles a standard panel van and is mounted on a medium-duty truck chassis.

“We can drive by any vehicle of interest and get a picture quality image of what is inside,” said Al White, patrol agent in charge of the Border Patrol station in Nogales, Ariz. “Before we would have to open up and dig through it — that is not an efficient way of working.”

The van is driven alongside a vehicle at around 3 mph, emitting a “pencil beam” of an X-ray source into the vehicle where it then bounces back to the van. The image is then transmitted to and displayed on a laptop computer in the cab of the vehicle, said Mario Escalante, U.S. Border Patrol’s Tucson Sector spokesman.

“When it hits organic material it is going to fluoresce and show us where it is,” White said.
    There are no permanent radiation sources inside the vehicle. A generator runs an X-ray tube that creates the image, making the amount of radiation negligible, said White.

“We do not intentionally scan human beings,” said White. “But if by chance there is one hidden inside it does little harm.”

Backscatter X-ray machines exposes the naked bodies of children, women
    and men at busy airport security portals; all based on the flimsy ploy of one
    “crotch bomber” at Christmas of ’09 in Detroit. The Backscatter machines
    will be used at more than 125 US airports. LAX has a bunch of them.

The radiation amount is so small that it would take about 800 scans to equal one chest X-ray, White said.

“We are very cognizant of the safety issue associated with this equipment,” he said.

Border Patrol has four of the devices currently in use. There are two others in Texas and one in California.

The van has been in use since Feb. 13 at the Interstate 19 Border Patrol checkpoint. In that time it has detected 1,600 pounds of marijuana, 30 pounds of cocaine, 17 pounds of methamphetamine and numerous people, White said.

Each van costs $665,000 and requires about $40,000 a year in required maintenance, White said.

The Tucson sector currently has 12 agents that have completed the six-day-long training for operating the device and plan to train 12 more agents soon, he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345