• 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By Turk182
  • 1 Post By CableAvoidanceTool
  • 1 Post By Geomancer

Thread: USIC & ELM Locating

Years of Experience

Default USIC & ELM Locating

USiC took over the Centurylink contract in Arizona and I was wondering what your thoughts were on comparing the 2 companies. There will be competition between these 2 in the state.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC & ELM Locating

The way you phrased your title I thought USIC and bought out ELM. Probably will happen eventally, anyway.

Doesn't USIC have company-wide drive cams now? That alone would make ELM better, if they didn't have drive cams.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    Doesn't USIC have company-wide drive cams now?
    Greetings C.A.T.! My USIC district of 125 +/- locators has one or two working drive-cams for evaluation. I'm not sure if these cameras point to the driver and/or records audio. I have been told lower insurance rates drive the decision to install the cameras. Management will definitely fak with locators with this toy!

It's a matter of time, I'm sure, when all cabs in my district will have these invasive fakers installed. I've got enough money tanked away that I can walk away with confidence from USIC for something else the day a drive-cam is installed in my work truck..................... just sayin.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mke likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The drivecm has two lens for recordimg, one records the outside front thru the windshield and the other the driver. There is also a microphone that reods all sound inside the cam.

they come with factory setting that only turns them on when there is an accident level g-force. Utiliquest reset them so they went off if you sneezed and used them to write you up if you were smokeing, eating or drinking while drivig, talking on the phone, anything. They had also adopted the policy of automatic fireing if the camera went off a selected number of times in a time period. Because they had lowered the g-force settings so low the camera went off so much they had to hire a copany just to review the camers footage, so much for 'insurance savings' as a justifacation of the cost.

The drivecam was changed from an accedent recorder that reducded insurance into a spy camera / microphone that was two feet in front of your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings C.A.T.! My USIC district of 125 +/- locators has one or two working drive-cams for evaluation. I'm not sure if these cameras point to the driver and/or records audio. I have been told lower insurance rates drive the decision to install the cameras. Management will definitely fak with locators with this toy!

It's a matter of time, I'm sure, when all cabs in my district will have these invasive fakers installed. I've got enough money tanked away that I can walk away with confidence from USIC for something else the day a drive-cam is installed in my work truck..................... just sayin.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

one will eventually buy out the other . USIC will probably win.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    one will eventually buy out the other . USIC will probably win.
    USIC already bought out ELM in several mid western states in order to gain contracts.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The drivecm has two lens for recordimg, one records the outside front thru the windshield and the other the driver. There is also a microphone that reods all sound inside the cam.

they come with factory setting that only turns them on when there is an accident level g-force. Utiliquest reset them so they went off if you sneezed and used them to write you up if you were smokeing, eating or drinking while drivig, talking on the phone, anything. They had also adopted the policy of automatic fireing if the camera went off a selected number of times in a time period. Because they had lowered the g-force settings so low the camera went off so much they had to hire a copany just to review the camers footage, so much for 'insurance savings' as a justifacation of the cost.

The drivecam was changed from an accedent recorder that reducded insurance into a spy camera / microphone that was two feet in front of your nose.

they wont be using them, still only testing them. Drivecam comes with a high monthly operating cost. the drivecam company itself reviews the footage not a seperate company. All it will take is one tech to run a stop light and say "I was afraid to hit the break because the drivecam would go off" and that is a hell of a law suit.

Years of Experience

Wingfoot, I stand with you and completely agree. If I too ever get a drive cam installed, it's over.

One thing I would mention though, for an idea. I'm not a physicist, but cameras work by recording incomming light, correct? Why not just put a piece of black paper in front of the lens? Then it would only record black at all times. Seems like a really simply work around. Audio would still work, though.

If the camera can somehow detect it's being blocked and throws an error to the supervisors, try using a piece of reflective paper instead. I've seen them at various art stores. That way, it blocks the view of the driver and doesn't trigger any 'blocked view' alarms. Someone please chime in if this would work.

ProfessionalLocator, I roared with laughter when reading about the hiring of a seperate company just to review the camera footage from so many lowered g-force triggers. I could not believe "The Quest" could sink any lower, but you proved me wrong. I wonder how long it will be until USIC buys them, though.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

SM&P gave them to senior techs way back in the day and they hated them so they ditched the trial. This is the first I've heard of USIC testing them now. There's a big USIC force in TX and they don't have any that they know of.

The Utiliquest cameras where annoying. Was 50 times worse if you had the Dodge Dakota truck that wallowed at every turn. Got to the point where they told me to stop activating it, no matter good or bad. Can't help it, even a normal turn sets the thing off!
    I didn't see how they were saving anything paying a 3rd party to review all that cam footage all the time either.

CAT, If the UQ camera footage was black they'd check and probably replace it with a new one to give you benefit of the doubt the first time. If video was black again they'd have you come to the office and do a test and if it worked then there was a pretty solid chance you'd be fired because they caught you covering the cam which was big no no.

Years of Experience
    3 years

With the improvements in gps unit technology, it's likely cheaper for them to monitor them with notifications when you accelerate/decelerate at x mph in a second. Instead of paying a third party to view footage, it gives the sups something to do while they are playing candy crush at the office. Another thing to point out is driving with the laptop lid open. Most of the laptops come with webcams and microphone imbedded. Just wait, someone will figure out they can turn on the cams remotely, if they aren't already.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Doesn't USIC have company-wide drive cams now?
    Greetings C.A.T.! My USIC district of 125 +/- locators has one or two working drive-cams for evaluation.
    Greetings C.A.T.! That evaluation took place summer/fall 2015. I'm not sure of management's decision on this matter.

Years of Experience

Greetings, Wingfoot! I had another idea. Perhaps the camera runs on a fuse just like the GPS does? Just find the fuse that the drivecam is attached to, and pull it. It should shut down the camera. I would be hard pressed the camera would be operating on it's own internal battery or something. It most likely draws power from the vehicle battery.

Good luck with USIC and their impending decision for drive cams. Please let us know what they end up doing or if you hear anything.

mattm211 - Thank you for clarifying the UQ procedure for a blank video. I didn't know what response they would have on a black video feed. Your input was very helpful.

Geomancer - ROFL I laughed for 5 straight minutes at the supervisors playing candy crush comment. It's funny because it's true. True, hence funny. Yes I have had supervisors at locating companies before that admitted they did not locate full time, or rarely at all anymore. Which is where the candy crush must come in.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Greetings, Wingfoot! I had another idea. Perhaps the camera runs on a fuse just like the GPS does? Just find the fuse that the drivecam is attached to, and pull it. It should shut down the camera. I would be hard pressed the camera would be operating on it's own internal battery or something. It most likely draws power from the vehicle battery.

Good luck with USIC and their impending decision for drive cams. Please let us know what they end up doing or if you hear anything.

mattm211 - Thank you for clarifying the UQ procedure for a blank video. I didn't know what response they would have on a black video feed. Your input was very helpful.

Geomancer - ROFL I laughed for 5 straight minutes at the supervisors playing candy crush comment. It's funny because it's true. True, hence funny. Yes I have had supervisors at locating companies before that admitted they did not locate full time, or rarely at all anymore. Which is where the candy crush must come in.
    The time is noted when GPS powers off and when satellite signal is acquired. You pull the fuse and you just admitted to tampering. There's not really much you can do except decide whether you can deal with it or quit. I'll make up my mind if I ever get GPS.
    The way I see it, you keep your area running smooth and a good Sup will focus on something else.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The web cams are looped and only save a recording of something if a warning flag is sent. They do have them in Texas in some areas as this was the pilot area.
    Work smarter not harder!!!