Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: USIC and All These New Contracts

Years of Experience
    30+

Default USIC and All These New Contracts

It is unbelievable at all the rumors of USIC picking up contracts. USIC sticks it to you, terrible pay, bennies ect. I guess utility companies just do not care about their plant.

I guess it is gobble up contracts when they know they cannot keep up with the ticket load they have now.

Just sayin
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC and All These New Contracts

The shame of it is that the utility companies are willing to sacrifice quality for a cheap price. Very very few have ever turned down the lowest bid.

I think there are some local locating managers out there that would love nothing more than to pay $25 to $30 an hour to locators, but they know if they do, USIC will under bid them and quickly put them out of business.

Of course, the utility company corporate leaders' short term greed misses the fact that once USIC puts the other major players out of business, they are going to monopolize the industry and jack up the rates. And we know USIC will pass that on to the locators..... errr, investment BANKERS!!!!

Yes, the local utility managers pound on them for better quality, but USIC corporate (Mike, Tim, etc.) knows that those field managers never make the contract decision. The bean counters who know nothing about the quality in the field make there decision based on bottom line of the bid, PERIOD. So, I guess it is the chicken or the egg.... meaning, is it USIC management or the Utility company bean counters who are at fault.

I could go on more about each of the above points, but I am just getting more upset.....
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locatingsince1986 View Post
    The shame of it is that the utility companies are willing to sacrifice quality for a cheap price. Very very few have ever turned down the lowest bid.

I think there are some local locating managers out there that would love nothing more than to pay $25 to $30 an hour to locators, but they know if they do, USIC will under bid them and quickly put them out of business.

Of course, the utility company corporate leaders' short term greed misses the fact that once USIC puts the other major players out of business, they are going to monopolize the industry and jack up the rates. And we know USIC will pass that on to the locators..... errr, investment BANKERS!!!!

Yes, the local utility managers pound on them for better quality, but USIC corporate (Mike, Tim, etc.) knows that those field managers never make the contract decision. The bean counters who know nothing about the quality in the field make there decision based on bottom line of the bid, PERIOD. So, I guess it is the chicken or the egg.... meaning, is it USIC management or the Utility company bean counters who are at fault.

I could go on more about each of the above points, but I am just getting more upset.....

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    It is unbelievable at all the rumors of USIC picking up contracts. USIC sticks it to you, terrible pay, bennies ect. I guess utility companies just do not care about their plant.

I guess it is gobble up contracts when they know they cannot keep up with the ticket load they have now.

Just sayin

This will continue because the utility company clients want it this way. The subcontracted locate firm pays all the damage costs; cost of the client company for their investigators and office processing, cost of damage repairs, utility company lost income because they could not bill for period of outage, lost income of commercial utility customers closed because of outage, fines levied by the state.

When legislation is in place where the utility clients are fined, and not allowed to pass on cost to subcontracted locate firm, and that they equally liable for any death or injury then they will be 'motivated' to hire the best locate firm they can get.

Right now the utility client firms are motivated to hire the lowest bidder and endanger the life and limb of the public.
    mls62976 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    This will continue because the utility company clients want it this way. When legislation is in place where the utility clients are fined, and not allowed to pass on cost to subcontracted locate firm, and that they equally liable for any death or injury then they will be 'motivated' to hire the best locate firm they can get. Right now the utility client firms are motivated to hire the lowest bidder and endanger the life and limb of the public.
    Where will the fine line of the best locate firm be? How would the utility clients decide that? Right now, all the locate firms are probably all about the same. Just because USIC is the biggest, doesn't mean their the best. Gotta go, football's comin on.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Where will the fine line of the best locate firm be? How would the utility clients decide that? Right now, all the locate firms are probably all about the same. Just because USIC is the biggest, doesn't mean their the best. Gotta go, football's comin on.
    Start by demanding at fault damage records from firms bidding on contracts. Sure they can give false info but if found out it invalidates the contract and is fraud making the firm submitting the bid liable for the costs of putting out a new contract bid. Check with government authorities where they have contracts to see their damages, these are public records.

There are probably other sources for this information.
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Where will the fine line of the best locate firm be? Right now, all the locate firms are probably all about the same. Just because USIC is the biggest, doesn't mean it's the best. Gotta go, football's comin on.
    Greetings superman! USIC is the biggest in the locating business; 3,000+ locators today! USIC will continue to grow even larger in the future. This will be done by gobbling even more smaller locating companies for their contracts. If history deserves repeating, these future acquisitions by USIC will find slots for all the acquired, bloodsucking white-collars and staffers with a wholesale dumping of the blue-collar worker bees.

The dumping of the acquired locators may have been of merit. I can't speak about all the ex-Consolidated locators, all but a couple Consolidated locators I encountered were not very bright. There was one locator from Consolidated, a 12-year locator who is intelligent by today's standards, who couldn't read! Most carry-over locators were not strong enough to keep pace with the average SM&P locator's ticket load, accuracy or production.

A lot of the blame can be laid at the feet of the SM&P management team. With input from the clueless Consolidated management team, SM&P managers wrongly assumed these carry-over locators were well trained and highly skilled. These carry-overs were given a three day class to learn about defensive driving skills, how to sign on to the laptops with a very light glossing over ALL the prints. At the end of day 3, these ex-Cons(olitated-ites) were given paint, batteries, flags and with a slap on the back and a stiff kick in the pants were told, "Good Luck out there! Be productive and don't get anything cut!" Needless to say, these poor saps didn't last ninety days before the vast majority were gone.

I-F, if there is an acquisition by USIC on any locate firm, the white-collar leeches will be spared from harm and will be allowed free reign to pick and choose their location and duties. Not so for the lowly locator. My advice, let USIC have their 3-day dog and pony show at the beginning. Before you get your stiff kick in the pants, have your new supervisor assign a USIC veteran locator with 3 to 5 years experience to be your mentor. That's the only way I believe a carry-over locator can survive a USIC acquisition...................... just sayin'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Well said wingfoot!

Years of Experience

USIC has over 4,800 employees as of today.

Years of Experience

Sounds like you're pretty biased against the "ex-Cons"...
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

The shame of it is that the utility companies are willing to sacrifice quality for a cheap price. Very very few have ever turned down the lowest bid. ......this quote from (locatingsince1986)..........sums it all up I think .......as Wing said earlier they will only get bigger and nothing will change for a season....BUT ...as one almighty company rose to the top of the Mountain....there's always a deep valley close by.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

We picked up one small contract just recently but nothing major to pay any bills with....just some extra pennies ....

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post

Just sayin
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    Sounds like you're pretty biased against the "ex-Cons"...
    Greetings E! Quite the contrary........ I enjoyed the camaraderie of all the "ex-Cons" I met and worked with on Emergency and project tickets. It was easy for me to befriend those guys.

My "bias" was aimed at the white collars that came to USIC with the acquisition of Consolidated. It will take a while for me to overcome the fear of dread these clowns draped over me and my buddies; the fear of "piece-work locating." These acquisitioned Consolidated "white-collars" put the screwing to their own with piece-work locating and came within a pubic hair of doing the same with the USIC bunch. "Ain't nobody got time for that!"....................... just sayin'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Big-E and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Piece work will never work . it only speeds up the greed process !
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings E! "Ain't nobody got time for that!"....................... just sayin'.

EricB and The Big-E like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast