Thread: U.S.I.C spent $25.7 million on at-fault damages in 2011

Exclamation U.S.I.C spent $25.7 million on at-fault damages in 2011

How many at-fault damages did you have in 2011? 2012?

$25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011 = No raises and shitty bonus program in 2012

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: U.S.I.C spent $25.7 million on at-fault damages in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

$25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011 = No raises and shitty bonus program in 2012
    I ran into a USIC locator last week, several years locating experience doing multiple utilities. He gets $14 an hour in one of the highest cost of living areas in the nation. He asked me about finding another locate job. I gave him the URL to this site and LocatorJobs as well as a good job sites search engine.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I ran into a USIC locator last week, several years locating experience doing multiple utilities. He gets $14 an hour in one of the highest cost of living areas in the nation. He asked me about finding another locate job. I gave him the URL to this site and LocatorJobs as well as a good job sites search engine.
    And that is really all a fellow can do these days, lend an ear and try to offer up some solid advice. I hear the same things in my travels and I pretty much do the same as Pro. Until the vampires are driven out, it's the only way to go.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

$25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011 = No raises and shitty bonus program in 2012[/QUOT

Even with those damages I am sure upper management still will get a rise and a bonus. You have to wonder just how many of those damages could be a result of a locator having to rush to meet the numbers. Even trying to get off the clock when they are pushing for production and only 8 hr days. Working guys in a lot of OT because they are under staffed. could it also be the shitty attitude a lot of guys might have from being beaten up by management keep taking. I get this feeling frank is related to sniper, you know management, that is just the feeling I am getting.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; March 25th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Years of Experience

$25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011

Just a drop in the bucket for them unfortunately, and they keep making money. I remember a few years ago, just in one district alone, they were pulling in around 12 million a year. I'd say they can afford this money. If only they would spread the wealth around.
    I talked with a locator with over 17 years experience who told me he was quitting, "because the company doesn't make it fun to do this anymore." Another veteran out of the field due to a company being greedy and not caring about their employees.

i understand that giving our money to our customers in the form of paying for at-fault damages is a very bad thing and happens alot, but i know several locators that have awesome quality ratios, and you can see the monthly quality ratios by district and you see ratios of 1/16,000 for certain districts. i know that HP damages cost way more than normal damages so you could still get to 25M pretty quick, but i just dont see how the superior quality districts aren't clearing enough to give everyone in the company a minimum of 5% raises (or less determined by quality, safety, etc.)

i know insurance is costing more because of the insurance market, and new trucks and laptops do cost alot of money when you figure how many individuals are going to be receiving these things, and the price of fuel is going up too which means that vendors that make deliveries will also be charging more, which brings me to my next point.

why don't we start to charge more money to our customers, last I heard when a company starts to experience increased operating cost they past that cost on to their customers. i know that most companies aren't going to want to take the locating back in house for numerous reasons, so i think its time that our company start to flex its muscle and call their bluff of threatening to take the contract away. if they go with a cheaper competitor they will receive cheaper and inferior service. since outages and leaks are bad for business and PR for the owners, i would think they would just stay with the company they know. If there are any customers reading this, THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO DO THIS STUFF ANY CHEAPER AND NOT HAVE DAMAGES ON A DAILY BASIS.

oh, and by the way for 2011 i only had 1 line hit giving me about 1/7000.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    $25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011

Just a drop in the bucket for them unfortunately, and they keep making money. I remember a few years ago, just in one district alone, they were pulling in around 12 million a year. I'd say they can afford this money. If only they would spread the wealth around.
    I talked with a locator with over 17 years experience who told me he was quitting, "because the company doesn't make it fun to do this anymore." Another veteran out of the field due to a company being greedy and not caring about their employees.
    Put another 10 million into pay, bonuses and benefits retaining your best locators and cut damages by 10 million or more increasing profits. But there is always somebody at the top who thinks cutting wages and benefits results in a bigger profit margin. They think this is just some unskilled labor job like it can be filled by driving a pickup truck to a corner day laborer stand. It all boils down to "that's too much to pay a locator".

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Put another 10 million into pay, bonuses and benefits retaining your best locators and cut damages by 10 million or more increasing profits. But there is always somebody at the top who thinks cutting wages and benefits results in a bigger profit margin. They think this is just some unskilled labor job like it can be filled by driving a pickup truck to a corner day laborer stand. It all boils down to "that's too much to pay a locator".
    Quite true indeed. And let's not forget that cutting payroll and wages is something that most managers see as being very "hands on" and makes one look like a serious honcho. And we all know that in some twisted way many of these folks enjoy doling out misery to the underlings, as it somehow will make their inevitable turn at the chopping block less painful.

Years of Experience

=$25,700,000 in damage bills in 2011
    Is this an estimate or is the data published somewhere?
    Last edited by TheCableVine; March 26th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Years of Experience

25 million is probably what they projected to the insurance company. I like the thought of having no insurance and working with a utility company. I bet they write off 85% of the damages in tax write offs, just because they are "providing a free service"

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

That's true. When a locating company pays for an at fault damage, they write it off thier taxes as a neccessary business expense.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng